Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miss-Delivered Stuff

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Miss-Delivered Stuff

If you have an order miss-delivered to your office that was destined to a near by compeditor do you:
    1) Wait 'til the delivery people come back with another order and give it to him?
    2) Call the delivery people and tell them about it immeadeatly?
    3) Call the compeditor and tell him it's at your office and invite him to come by and pick it up?
    4) Take it by to the compeditor?
    5) Place it out of the way and let it disappear or be delayed a few more days before you give it back to the delivery people?

Chip:D

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would always call them and give them the option of picking it up or having it sent back via courier. It is all about Karma.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I call the delivery service to have them come back and retrieve it. If it's for an office in the area I would give them a call. Most of the time it isn't.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You absolutely call your fellow ECP - can there be any question about it? BTW, I've done this on occasion and gotten a rude response, as if it's my fault the delivery was screwed up. One office even demanded that I run right over with the stuff. I'd still call that practice again, but I'll never respect them.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Call the practice and a few of them deliver during my lunch break.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only time we've had stuff mis-delivered to us was from frame companies. Our address on the box, another office's name on the invoice. We ended up calling the company to fix it, since we had no idea where the other office was. If we did, I'd imagine we'd call them and tell them we have it. I wouldn't personally bring it to them, but I wouldn't let it sit there either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Timely

This has happened 3 times in 4 years for a total of 4 packages. 3 of those packages and 2 of the misdeliveries were just last week.

I walked them down personally (It's such nice weather) and apologized for the inconvience. Never miss an opportunity to impress

They will definately inform the courier of the mistake.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually will take them to the competitor (its a small area) and they are happy I brought them. Besides I never miss an opportunity to check out the competition. :D

Occupation
    Think about what you would like the competitor to do if they received your parcel, then act accordingly. I once received a cheque for a totally different business a block away from me - it was for $47,000.00. You bet I walked it to their office. If it was my cheque/parcel, I wouldn't want it to spend extra days with the courier/post office.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If it's close by, I'll usually walk it over myself. If it's further, I give it back to the courier when he comes with his next delivery.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    2) Call the delivery people and tell them about it immeadeatly?
    3) Call the compeditor and tell him it's at your office and invite him to come by and pick it up?

Which ever is quicker. No reason to be unethical.

Actually, we get some referrals from competitors, because they know we can serve some people better. Our ethical competition has not left too many bitter and they are more willing to work with you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We call the competitor and let them determine how they want to obtain their package.

When one of our packages is mis-delivered we will usually go to the competitor and pick it up, makes for a little recon trip as well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It happens about once or twice a month.

I tell them what happened and I just take it to them right away and HOPE they do the same for me. It creates a good relationship with competition.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This happens to us alot! Our delivery man is usually in too big of a hurry and doesnt pay attention to the addresses on the boxes. I usually just take the box down the street to the competitor...this gives me a chance to check them out! I love to see how other optical shops are set up, and just how many patients they are helping! And I believe that by doing this nice gesture the other company may help me out with a problem on another day! :p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

happens to us to..

I alway's picture the patient waiting on that frame, or contacts and they are late to begin with. This happened the other day, we called the delivery, they traced it to an office 5 miles from us. We called the other office, they searched and said yeh, its here, we went over and got it. It would have been nice if they called us when they recieved the wrong package,:hammer: we've both been here for years. Agian the pt. was waiting.

regards Ginny

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would call and see how they would like to handle it also.

But I have to tell you what happened here the day Ike was coming to town. I get a call from some guy I don't know. He tells me that DHL had just delivered a package to him, but afterwards he saw a box out in the street in front of his house. It was addressed to my shop. I asked him if it had a name on the box from the sender. Sure enough, a box of uncuts from my lab, 5 pair.

He was about 5 miles from me, I was by myself and really couldn't close to get it. He offered to bring it down to me! (keep in mind the whole town is going nuts preparing for the hurricane). He showed up about 20 minutes later. A real nice guy. I gave him a coupon for 75 bucks off anything in the shop.

I gave DHL a call and gave them an earful!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I can, I try to sell it as a closeout, before they can track the package.:D

Seriously, I try to deliver it to them if it's close enough, otherwise I'll call them and let them know I have it. It helps if they at least know it was mis-delivered so they can let their pt. know of the delay.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will usually deliver it if its close by, or call if its a little farther away. One time we received a frame and opened it before we realized it was wrong. Turns out it was for a patient of ours who went to another office. (Easy to tell in a small town with a very distinctive last name.) :bbg::bbg::bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    I will usually deliver it if its close by, or call if its a little farther away. One time we received a frame and opened it before we realized it was wrong. Turns out it was for a patient of ours who went to another office. (Easy to tell in a small town with a very distinctive last name.) :bbg::bbg::bbg:
    Now that's one that you should have put in a drawer for a week or too!:hammer:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really wanted to call her to let her know her glasses were ready. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once got a box delivered one time, which contained all Luxottica frames in it. The weird thing was that is was, from SGH to Lux, and they were all returns for defective product. I was working at a private MD practice. Oakley's were in there Ray Bans, at least 30 frames! I called Lux, they said they would call me back, so then I called the SGH that was on the receipts for each return. They went out of business, so I called another SGH in the same state that was close by and they told me to call LUX. I called Lux at least ten times and they didn't know what to do with me.I asked the customer service rep, what do you want me to do with these? They have been here for over 8 months! She said I don't know. So, we just kept the frames and donated some and gave them to our friends.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Seriously, I try to deliver it to them if it's close enough, otherwise I'll call them and let them know I have it. It helps if they at least know it was mis-delivered so they can let their pt. know of the delay.
    I do the same thing.

I had one local office that I called, and they started hassling me! Real nice!

Lets just say, I lost what little respect that I actually had for them. The last two packages of theirs that got left with me, followed the lead of the *Super* group, Supertramp-They took the long way home!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecFitter View Post
    I once got a box delivered one time, which contained all Luxottica frames in it. The weird thing was that is was, from SGH to Lux, and they were all returns for defective product. I was working at a private MD practice. Oakley's were in there Ray Bans, at least 30 frames! I called Lux, they said they would call me back, so then I called the SGH that was on the receipts for each return. They went out of business, so I called another SGH in the same state that was close by and they told me to call LUX. I called Lux at least ten times and they didn't know what to do with me.I asked the customer service rep, what do you want me to do with these? They have been here for over 8 months! She said I don't know. So, we just kept the frames and donated some and gave them to our friends.

Ok, here's the correct thing to do. And this is a huge CYA for those interested.

You call the shipper and tell them they delivered it wrong and they need to come pick it up. Often, by delivering the package yourself, your name is still attached to it and the paper trail stops with you.

This will be especially useful when you accidentally receive a package from someone you're not on great terms with. Go by the book, and don't risk any further involvement.

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually just call and run it to the other office, but if I didn't know who/where it was then I would just send it back through the UPS/DHL. Hopefully, the same would happen to me if they ever sent our package to the wrong address. A few weeks ago DHL lost one of our packages, and I was pretty mad. :angry: I have to admit, they are a pretty lousy service and their drivers always smell bad. :finger:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UPS at least can't help B-O they work hard in the Summer time without the benefit of air-conditioned trucks. Have noticed that they seem to be giving poorer service and getting dumber and dumber help.
    Use FED-Ex, my son works in thier computer department and I don't want them to have any lay-offs.

Chip

Thread Information