Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discontinued / Discounted frames

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Discontinued / Discounted frames

Do you carry discontinued frames?

i have been looking into it a little, and talked to a few shops that do. Seems like a good opportunity especially for Packages, or 2nd pair promos.

if so, what do you think is best, the small companies that do have reps, or independant folks that personally service you, or the telemarketer type that you call or fax in an order with out seeing anything in person.

Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, because I have a source for very well priced current frames, that are fashionable and have a warranty.

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikCOV View Post
    Do you carry discontinued frames?

i have been looking into it a little, and talked to a few shops that do. Seems like a good opportunity especially for Packages, or 2nd pair promos.

if so, what do you think is best, the small companies that do have reps, or independant folks that personally service you, or the telemarketer type that you call or fax in an order with out seeing anything in person.

Thanks!
    We do not carry discontinued frames, because our office gives a free 1 year warranty on frames and lenses. Since discontinued frames can be hard or almost impossible to get replaced and to get parts for, we choose not to do them.

We have started buying inexpensive (wholesale price removed) frames from a company, and this allows us to offer those deals. We also have a (good, better, best) package thru our lab that offers frame and lens deals.

I personally don't like to have reps come in just because of the inconvenience. I prefer the "don't call us, we'll call you" method of buying when it comes to dealing with reps.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes things fall into your lap and you buy. If a rep wants to unload a line that we already know is a good sell through than we will buy at the right price. When Polo switched to Lux we bought at least 50 frames at pennies on the dollar. We have one left so it was a wise buy. To buy discos to put on the insurance board or for second pair sales, never.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wasnt considering them for insurance or to offer with a warranty.

This company offered Discontinued designer, and big name frames for about 10-25% the normal cost.

i was thinking about putting a package together for them, so if they already used their benefits they could get these as sunglasses, reading glasses, distance only (for bifocal or progressive wearers) or as an inexpensive pair for contact wearers etc.

seems like a good deal for mine and the patients bottom line.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This company offered Discontinued designer, and big name frames for about 10-25% the normal cost.
    You're headed in the right dirrection, but those discounts are still in the range for current frames.

When you buy a true disco., you should be rewarded w/ a hefty (50%+) discount.

Also, don't forget that if you buy more than one of the same model, it is no longer discontinued, because parts are now available...in your back room!;)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter bblaker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Too much info....
    Last edited by bblaker; 10-01-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    "Feeding the beast, hoping it will eat you last" -- Winston Churchill

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In today's market what advantage is there to selling current frames when for all you know it was discontinued last month, you paid full price and can't get replacments or parts. Today's manufacturer's discontinue frames like some people change their socks.
    Twasn't always like that, but today you can't even count on a line being with the same company six weeks, much less an individual frame.
    Even your #1 best cash cow seller may be DC's at any moment.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    In today's market what advantage is there to selling current frames when for all you know it was discontinued last month, you paid full price and can't get replacments or parts.Chip
    That's another great point Chip!

Many folks that contemplate selling disco's don't realize that they already are!:hammer::cheers:

Occupation
    Too much info again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    That's another great point Chip!

Many folks that contemplate selling disco's don't realize that they already are!:hammer::cheers:
    Last edited by bblaker; 10-01-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok folks, You need to get away from the word "discountinued"
    Frames aren't "discountinued"! They are sold out!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bblaker View Post
    You are already selling them you just dont know it!!!

You are so right on with this! This is one of the reasons I escaped BigBoy Optical Island. I think the biggest culprit was a BigBoy company whose name rhymed with the comedian Janeane Garofalo.

:angry::angry::cheers::cheers::D:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Ok folks, You need to get away from the word "discountinued"
    Frames aren't "discountinued"! They are sold out!
    How about the " I'm sorry, that frame is retired" line I have heard.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    You're headed in the right dirrection, but those discounts are still in the range for current frames.

When you buy a true disco., you should be rewarded w/ a hefty (50%+) discount.
    no, not a 10-25% discount, a 75-90% discount.

I dont think these will replace anything on my frame board, maybe just give people a better option for second pairs and that sort of thing.

Thats a really good idea about carrying many of the same ones, i planned on 2-3 of each.

i like the idea, it helps boost our profit to cost really well

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper In todays economy...........................

..........i have been looking into it a little, and talked to a few shops that do. Seems like a good opportunity especially for Packages, or 2nd pair promos.
    By buying discontinued frames you have the chance to get top notch high quality frames or designer frames for a fraction of their original price.

In todays economy you have to be flexible to also be able to serve patients that are in a momentary financial bind and you can sell them quality items at a lower price and still generate a profit.

Every sales rep carries samples of his lines discontinued models, but they usually dont show them unless asked for. The reps do work on commission and the commission is also a fraction of original one before a frame became discontinued.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If they're really designers...

Do you really want to use these as "instead of" and repair frames? Why not sell them as One of a kinds, Limited editions, or Limited runs?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They also make nice sunglasses. Plano lenses, a little tint and you have El-cheapo sunwear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I personally don't like to have reps come in just because of the inconvenience. I prefer the "don't call us, we'll call you" method of buying when it comes to dealing with reps.[/quote]

I feel exactly the opposite: my reps are important to me. Each of them is someone I've known for a long time, each of them is an optical professional, each of them gives me service that helps me run my business. Business is a two-way street, you reap what you sow, whether with your vendors or your customers. If you are the type to sneer at salespeople, remember, we're "sales" people too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dont think these will replace anything on my frame board, maybe just give people a better option for second pairs and that sort of thing.
    ell
    You might be surprised. We have a certain Vera Wang Luxe that we have sold 6 of in the last 6 weeks at full retail. No one knows that the mfg recently "retired" it, not even our opticians that wear it. Why do they need to know? Our shop carries the warranty as far as the patient is concerned.

You look at a bunch of frames. You hold each one up and ask "what will this sell for?"* The answer could be $5 or the answer could be $295. This is important because staff should NOT be allowed to purchase any frames (current or otherwise) until they can answer the question "what will this sell for?" The wholesale price doesn't set the retail price. The market sets the retail price.

Now you have to evaluate whether your margin on a "retired" frame is worth you carrying the warranty, or throwing it away if it doesn't sell. You take more risk, so your margin should be higher.

*this little piece of wisdom came from Johns

Occupation
    Last edited by bblaker; 10-01-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Old one..........................

Quote Originally Posted by bblaker View Post
    I agree that may be the most important thing john has aever said on this board... We now price frames on the " what do you think we can get for this one" mutiplier!!!!
    That has already been like that when I had my frame company for 20 years. We sold the discontinued and our customers turned around and sold them for full price.

However these days of short money you might be glad to have them as an inexpensive good quality version for the have not so much.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even though patients say they understand the concept of " no waranty" they always change the tune when they come back in six weeks and find out that they * Rented* a pair of glasses because you have no way of fixing them now. just find an inexpensive line to carry so you can offer a waranty and save yourself the trouble. even if only 1 frame out of 100 breaks, do you really want to deal with that angry patient.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioeyeguy View Post
    even if only 1 frame out of 100 breaks, do you really want to deal with that angry patient.
    You bet I want to deal with them!!:D This is an opportunity to IMPRESS. "Sir/ma'am, I apologize that we can no longer get that frame. Even thought the manufacturer will no longer support us, I will give you full credit for anything you like, and we will cut new lenses."

Now they have a story to tell.

remember, the final retailer is the one carrying the warranty, not the mfg. You negotiate whatever terms you will with the mfg and take that into consideration when deciding to buy.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Contact me at iman777@aol.com for many great buys on current product, overstocks and closeouts

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ohio: What stuff are you selling that you don't have 1 in 100 fail now?

Thread Information