Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frames to Follow

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Frames to Follow

I was wondering if anyone else was having this same problem. We are a small dispensary with a finishing lab and when the client wants to re-use their own frame we advise them that we certainly can accomodate them (providing that there are no apparent weaknesses in the frame).
    We advise them that we will need their frame for 3 - 4 hours to cut and edge their new lenses to at the time of ordering. They agree....so far so good right?
    So why is it than when they are informed that their lenses are ready they either say that they weren't advised of this (always noted on the order), say that they were told that it would be done while they waited or that generally this is now a really big deal and their lives are screwed up as a result.
    Anyone else have this phenomenon happening to them?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Is there a way you can cut back on that time. 30 minutes should be sufficient. Maybe to avoid conflicts by having 30 minutes if they make an appointment, an hour if they don't.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    30 minutes or an hour is not sufficient. Some days it is over 2 hours when we have time to look at the job for the first time after the client has dropped their frame off.
    Believe me if the answer was to shorten the time I wouldn't be posting on here asking for help. I would have already done it.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have problems with patients saying that they knew nothing about making appointments to have their lenses cut when they drop off their frames, this after the optician that writes up the order tells them this, and the person that calls them tells them to call back to make an appointment for a lens cutting. We only make them wait for 20 minutes to half an hour, that's why we go by appointment, to have that time alloted for their lens cutting. This being said we naturally accomodate them if we can, whether or not they have an appointment. We do make it clear to them that we are doing them a big favor by cutting them without an appointment. We treat this issue on a case by case basis. It sounds as if in your particular shop that you may not have as much help to accomodate them as we do.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Don't get me wrong. I sounded snobbish in my first post. I am just putting myself in the client's shoes. Now, if I had a job and it took 3-4 hours, even if I agreed at the time of sale, it could really interfere with my day. That is where I am suggesting a much lower time limit.

So now what I ask is, do you surface the jobs too? Is that why it is taking 3-4 hours?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you considered remote tracing for frames-to-follow or one-lens-only jobs? I used this format very successfully for many years.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Why does it take . . . . .

1 to 2 hours to look at a patients job?? We've got 1 lab rat running 40 to 50 jobs a day and we make half hour edge down appointments for our POFs and its usually pretty close. We tell them half hour to forty minutes. No offense, but if you can't do it quicker than that mall chain, then I would say that its your problem and not your patients.

Good luck to you!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a one man show, and I can typically turn these around in about a half hour, 40 minutes tops.
    Some days it is over 2 hours when we have time to look at the job for the first time after the client has dropped their frame off.
    I am not quite sure what you look at for 2 hours here, but everyone has their system.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all experience this behavior. I have people all the time thinking the lenses would be already cut and ready to insert. I hold up the blank for them to see. Nope, sorry it will be about an hour. We really try to get them to tell us when they will be in so we can estimate a time. Appointments are preferred but if they are willing to wait we will accomodate them. If nothing else is going on 20 minutes to a half hour will do it but you never know. Maybe you have too many people using their own frames?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I am a one man show, and I can typically turn these around in about a half hour, 40 minutes tops.I am not quite sure what you look at for 2 hours here, but everyone has their system.
    The reason we aren't able to look at the frame to follows sometimes for 2 hours is that;

a) We don't have a lab rat
    b) We get busy with clients and if there are a few with rx's in their hands well it sometimes takes some time

We will probably see more clients using their own frames as consumers re-trench and start to build up some savings in light of the recent economic news.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just tell them that they need to leave their frames with you when they order the lenses. After all you need to edge them and everything. Suggest they wear their spare pair we all know they have.:D

I have never quite understood how people think we can cut their lenses without having the frame. Of course, we trace many peoples' frames at time of order so they can come back and only take a few minutes to switch.
    Problem is, even that seems to be too much of a burden on them to be without their frames for five minutes.

Something they rely on sooooo much, but they never have a spare.
    Dumba$$es!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Just tell them that they need to leave their frames with you when they order the lenses. After all you need to edge them and everything. Suggest they wear their spare pair we all know they have.:D

I have never quite understood how people think we can cut their lenses without having the frame. Of course, we trace many peoples' frames at time of order so they can come back and only take a few minutes to switch.
    Problem is, even that seems to be too much of a burden on them to be without their frames for five minutes.

Something they rely on sooooo much, but they never have a spare.
    Dumba$$es!

Exactly!
    Never miss an opportunity to tell them that they need a back-up pair. They really do need one. And it really is malpractice for us to imply otherwise.

But back to your question. I would try to do more tracing and storing. We like to call and make an appointment for the cutting. And them make sure you are available for the appointment.

I think you are understaffed. If you don't have a lab-rat, then who calls the lab to work out problem jobs? Who calls to order frames? Who fixes frames? Who edges those 10 jobs setting there? Who packages up the frames to be sent by UPS before 4:30? Who checks for the best pricing before the lenses are ordered? Who packages up returns? Who ensures that lab credits are issued? Who handles those tough jobs?

You need more staff. You are missing out on sales on the floor and savings in the lab.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    In our office I am the lab rat, I handle all the glasses orders from beginning to end, file insurance, check benefits, sell and dispense. I do tell our pts that choose to use their own frames that it will take about 30 mins to edge lenses to fit. Occasionally though i have that one so-called "VIP" that cant even take the time to let me trace them or the tech that sold them doesnt bother with completing the order form (no pds, no seg hts, no OC, etc.) so i use a similarly or atleast generally shaped dummy frame to give myself started till they come back in. Then it takes about an hour because im basically doing everything that should have been done before accepting payment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Back Up Pair,

What we try to do is sell them a back up pair, we use the medicare frames we purchase from Hart/New York Eye, very cheap but good quality, and sell for the Medicare price, then we give them a $50.00 discount, frame ends up only costing them a few bucks, and the lenses can be standard u.v/scratch packaging, or try to up sell them with the add-ons that they have on there existing glasses. You are making your money on the lenses. We emphaize the new frame with new lenses, and the frame is only a few bucks, the frame is now warranted as well as the lenses and they have a back-up pair.:D Works great for us. We also only take 30 to 45 min. to cut the lenses into there frame if they still choose to do so, at our main location only.

Regards Ginster:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I Know everybody hates the word *Waiver* but i have one that states all the dangers of using a worn out frame , and also includes a small part about wait time when lenses come in. once you have someone sign that they never complain they were not informed because they know you have a signed copy that says they were informed about everything.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

POF's

what % of POF's do u do ?

If this many issues come up- i would THINK it is on the HIGH side Seems that your staff may have a opportunity of converting those into complete sales and not particals ?

Maybe go the route of telling them - they need to give up that frame - for the order - and see those situations just go away - once the pts some to the conclusion that they should not rely so heavily on that single pr of glasses - with no back ups -

esp since these are the customers that will be coming in to you soon with those 3 or 6 mnth old new lenses that the 5 yr old frame just broke on friday night a 5 mins to 5- when you are closing -- yet this will be your fault - not theirs !! ( sound familiar ? )
    I think the issue of being short staffed - the way it soudns like you are - should be more of an issue to deal with then these 2 or 3 pts.

it is amazing - how much more business ( $ ) a shop can generate by having the right amount of staff on - and more importantly - on at the RIGHT times -
    for us - it is always the last 2 or 3 hrs of the day -

r u the one that decides the hiring and schedules ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Convert the job to a complete sale, use a remote tracer, cut the lens in 15 min or take 3 to 4 hours. You will always and I say it again, always have those who think lenses are made of pixie dust, snap your fingers and bam! lenses appear in their frame.

Make it clear to the pt, without a doubt clear to them, and they say they understand it. Document have them sign notes about anything, IF IT IS NOT IMPORTANT TO THE PATIENT all they are going to do is sit there and nod their head and say yes yes yes. And they will not comprehend a damn thing you are saying.

So my friend, it is something we have to contend with if we want to work in this business.

For each one that does that to you go home and have another beer, whiskey, ale, orange juice or cigar.

It is just one of our character building things we have to do and sometimes we can turn into quite a character.

Occupation
    Even though it takes maybe less than 15 minutes to edge down a lens I never ever ever ever ever ever say 15-20 minutes, you never know when that screw will snap and you need time to drill or extract it, you never know when the block falls off when your checking C size and you have to touch off by hand, you never know when the lens is going to get boinked in the edger having you scrambling to pull a stock replacement and re trace/cut. Leave room for the unknown and you will almost always satisfy your patients, cut all the fat and you'll end up gettign yelled at more often than necessary.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Even though it takes maybe less than 15 minutes to edge down a lens I never ever ever ever ever ever say 15-20 minutes, you never know when that screw will snap and you need time to drill or extract it, you never know when the block falls off when your checking C size and you have to touch off by hand, you never know when the lens is going to get boinked in the edger having you scrambling to pull a stock replacement and re trace/cut. Leave room for the unknown and you will almost always satisfy your patients, cut all the fat and you'll end up gettign yelled at more often than necessary.
    In other words, be just like Scotty on Star Trek.:cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    In other words, be just like Scotty on Star Trek.:cheers:
    Captain, I've given her all she's got. :D

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Captain, I've given her all she's got. :D

Aargh! I canna edge that lens, Captain! The coating's just too...too...slippery, sir!

Oh here you are.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UNDERpromise and OVERdeliver.

Keeps people as happy as can be expected.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can you schedule?

Maybe you can schedule when the person can come in. So you have time to accommodate them. And if you're very busy, it might pay off to hire a "lab rat" part-time. You never know how much business you might be losing from people not coming back because waiting 3 hours is inconvenient for them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't like setting appointments for pick-up or edging. It gives the patient a false sense that you will be unquestionably available to them at that exact time. I never know when I'm gonna have a walk-in patient/repair/just looking, question asker.

I tell patients that are using their old frame that it takes about 30 mins. to edge their lenses " If it's not busy". I also tell them that the 1st hour I'm open is usually the slowest, Sat. is the busiest and they may have a longer wait.

I can almost always multi-task, have patients looking while I do a quick repair, start a lens on the edger, go back out and check on someone looking, ect. I've also found that most all patients understand when they see you are busy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now, obviously, this depends on your equipment, but is it possible to trace the frame when the person is ordering? Keep the trace saved untill you get around to it, that way you don't have to keep their frame. You can cut whenever you want. When they come back to pick the lenses up, at that point, make sure they fit, and if need be, do any tweaks to the lens needed.

Thread Information