Thread: Visual Field Test

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Visual Field Test

Just curious what you charge for a full threshold visual field (92083) or an intermediate (92082) screening test, I have heard anywhere from $40-120. This equipment is new to us and we are pretty sure it is billed through medical not vision insurance, however we have also heard insurance does not cover, it is an out-of-pocket expense. I know it will vary from patient-to-patient and with different ins. companies but if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Feel free to pm me as well.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Health insurance will cover it as long as there's a medical diagnosis code. We charge $75 for a threshold test, $55 for a screener. We don't routinely VF test everyone, only those that need it based on the results of an exam, chief complaint, or other issues that might pop up.
    -Steve

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolkyd View Post
    Just curious what you charge for a full threshold visual field (92083) or an intermediate (92082) screening test, I have heard anywhere from $40-120. This equipment is new to us and we are pretty sure it is billed through medical not vision insurance, however we have also heard insurance does not cover, it is an out-of-pocket expense. I know it will vary from patient-to-patient and with different ins. companies but if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Feel free to pm me as well.
    The $120 end sounds like what the opthalmology clinics charge. Some small optometrists may charge $40, but I think optometrists should (and they are) move toward opthalmology in these types of procedures and billing. For a threshold test, they are spending a lot of time in the office so don't feel afraid to charge a decent fee.

Thread Information