Thread: Lens Cleaner

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lens Cleaner

I am looking for a good spectacle lens cleaner for mainly AR coated lenses. I have been using Kleer AR from Winco but I have problems with it not cleaning body oil & some smudges off. I have also had customers complain about it also. I haven't been able to locate any others that are any better. I was told by one person that the ones that clean the best contain more alcohol but then someone else said that alcohol will effect the AR coating. I knew that ammonia was bad for AR but I wasn't aware that alcohol created any problems.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up Personal choice

I tend to use good old washing up liquid to clean mine. :D Just a little bit in some nice warm water with plenty of suds, then rinse well and dry with a soft cloth.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Personal choice

Originally posted by John R
    I tend to use good old washing up liquid to clean mine. :D Just a little bit in some nice warm water with plenty of suds, then rinse well and dry with a soft cloth.
    The only problem with this is the soap tends to build up around the edge of the lenses & in the eyewire. This lubricates the lenses & they slip out or twist in the frame.

I have several customers who use soap (suds only included) & when they come in for adjustment I have to pull the lenses out & clean around them because that soapy film won't come off completely when trying to clean them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been quite satisfied with the Clarity products from Nanofilm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You got an address, phone number, or website for this? I would like to check it out!

Thanks!:bbg:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Spex,

I agree with Judy re the Nanofilm products. Our company had installed a couple of AR coating machines and we researched the majority of liquid cleaners that would be AR compatible. The Nanofilm stuff was by far the best that we found.

Nanofilm, Ltd: (800) 883-6266

Good luck!

Larry

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with the recommendations of the group concerning Nanofilm cleaners. I LOVE the pre-moistened towlettes. No more bottle and cloth!

It also helped with my repeat business as they had to come back every 22 towlette as there were only 21 in the box. I love them!

A few in the briefcase, a couple in the purse and a few scattered in the house! Lovely!

~Cindy

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Re: Re: Personal choice

Originally posted by Spex

The only problem with this is the soap tends to build up around the edge of the lenses & in the eyewire. This lubricates the lenses & they slip out or twist in the frame.

Never noticed this myself, but i do always rinse for quite a while to clear the suds off.
    Ah well you learn something new everyday :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wave

I have found the Zeiss pre-moistened cloths and bottled cleaner to work very well. It's ammonia free and works best with any type of multi-layered coating.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We also switched to Clarity by Nanofilm. We give a small kit with each AR dispensed that has a small bottle, 3 premoistened towlettes and a cleaning cloth. Our logo is also printed on the bottle and on a seal with the cleaning cloth. I also wrote a cleaning instruction sheet that we give the patient at the same time.

In house we use a small amount of Joy(1/8th teaspoon)in a 4 oz spray bottle with water and it cleans quickly and effectively after edging and mounting.

Big Smile

In a 32 0z spray bottle....

2/3 water, 1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 3 drops regular (no lemon or special hand moisteners) Dawn dish soap. Very likley this is very close to what you are paying $2.00 an OZ for.

Try it...

Then re-post and give me your reveiws positive and negative

Myodisk.....:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Crizal and other ARC detail people tell me that Alcohol, acetone and other things we get markings off with will not hurt the ARC. Other sources sound like hot or very cold water will hurt it. Have never found an AR that I could wear in ordinary optical shop work that lasted over 2 to 3 months. Seems to me that AR coatings are better than ever, and they still aren't worth a damn except for very careful patients who appreciate "things" more than the average slob.

Contrary to what us optical sales types believe, most of the world has more on thier mind than care of thier glasses. Hell, it's only been recently that the automobile/oil industry has gotten most of us to change the oil at something resembling recommeded intervals. You think we are gonna get the public to revere glasses anytime soon, no matter how much we overprice it, think again.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Originally posted by chip anderson
    The Crizal and other ARC detail people tell me that Alcohol, acetone and other things we get markings off with will not hurt the ARC. Other sources sound like hot or very cold water will hurt it. Have never found an AR that I could wear in ordinary optical shop work that lasted over 2 to 3 months. Seems to me that AR coatings are better than ever, and they still aren't worth a damn except for very careful patients who appreciate "things" more than the average slob.

Contrary to what us optical sales types believe, most of the world has more on thier mind than care of thier glasses. Hell, it's only been recently that the automobile/oil industry has gotten most of us to change the oil at something resembling recommeded intervals. You think we are gonna get the public to revere glasses anytime soon, no matter how much we overprice it, think again.

Chip
    Gee Chip, you must have had a bad day!!!

Most of the AR coatings I use stay put for at least 2 years before any crazing or chipping starts. I have a pair on right now that I haven't changed in 3 years. It is just starting to get tiny specs of the coating coming off.

I am not interested in "getting" the public to start taking care of their glasses. I have many customers asking me for cleaner for these lenses. I am certainly NOT going to tell them to go to Lenscrafters or Pearl or any of the other chains to get a cleaner if they want it. They could very well decide to stay there (though I doubt it)! Cleaners don't cost THAT much & you don't make a fortune off of it but it will create more goodwill with your patients. This in itself is a significant factor when so many of us are so slow now (businesswise) that we need to watch everything we do.

Supplying a cleaner is a simple courtesy for your patients!!

Hope your day gets better, Chip!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spex: My complaint is not with the cleaners but with the AR coatings. Just today I had a cardiologist in with a depleating AR coating (Done 7-9-01) that was bad enough where he said: "I can see better without these than I can with them. I stopped wearing my last pair for the same reason." The patient now wants No AR!

Cardiologist are not in an occupation where things are detrimental to AR. Most occupations are dirtier and grimier than cardiology.

This is not an isolated case, I see this at least weekly. And yes, I do see a few patients that get 2+ years out of AR, but they are rare. I usually only advise AR to patients that do public speaking, T.V. work, and the like as well as those who have it on thier previous glasses and like it. Yes, I know this has a very negative effect on my bottom line.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by chip anderson
    Spex: My complaint is not with the cleaners but with the AR coatings. Just today I had a cardiologist in with a depleating AR coating (Done 7-9-01) that was bad enough where he said: "I can see better without these than I can with them. I stopped wearing my last pair for the same reason." The patient now wants No AR!

Cardiologist are not in an occupation where things are detrimental to AR. Most occupations are dirtier and grimier than cardiology.

This is not an isolated case, I see this at least weekly. And yes, I do see a few patients that get 2+ years out of AR, but they are rare. I usually only advise AR to patients that do public speaking, T.V. work, and the like as well as those who have it on thier previous glasses and like it. Yes, I know this has a very negative effect on my bottom line.

Chip
    May I ask what brand of AR you are using? What lens material are being used on these problem lenses? Do you live in a city or part of the country that has a problem with environmental polutants that could have an effect on these coatings? Have you talked to your lab (or AR coating company) about this? I can't believe they would let something like this go on. If it is a problem with their process I am sure they would get complaints from other optical shops. My lab guarantees its AR for at least a year & will replace it if it crazes, chips, peels, etc.

I am just trying to pinpoint why you are having so many problems when so many Opticians & OD's I talk to do more AR than I do. And I don't do any record amounts myself.

I sure wish we could help you pinpoint a problem. It definitely improves that bottom line.

lens cleaner

Thank you to all of those who so kindly sang the praises of our Ultra Clarity lens cleaning products. I just found this wonderful message board today, and I felt immediately welcomed!

If anyone would like a sample of our products, please feel free to email me or call me at 800-883-6266, ext. 127. We also have literature available that describes how our cleaner was designed by our team of chemists to be effective specifically on AR coatings.

Thanks to all for your input here- it is wonderful to hear what is happening in our industry right from the source. I know that vendors can often loose sight of what it is like on the front lines. Thanks for keeping me in touch!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I can put in a good word for Nanofilm as well. They don't just mix soap, IPA and aromas in a 55 gallon drum. Their team consists of real PhD's developing products in a variety of areas. Aside from the Clarity product, they have a unique hydrophobic process that is used by many (most?) of the AR coating labs in the U.S.

Probably the most scientific validation I could offer is that my wife loves 'em and is always after me to get more.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    2/3 water, 1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 3 drops regular (no lemon or special hand moisteners) Dawn dish soap. Very likley this is very close to what you are paying $2.00 an OZ for.
    I concur completely! Neither alcohol nor acetone will harm an AR coated lens. What you DON'T want to use is any kind of degreaser (e.g., Goo Gone). Solvents, yes- degreasers, no...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin

I concur completely! Neither alcohol nor acetone will harm an AR coated lens. What you DON'T want to use is any kind of degreaser (e.g., Goo Gone). Solvents, yes- degreasers, no...

I use a product called Wilbond made by Wilson Imperial to remove those stubborn progressive marks, & most anything else that gets on a lens. So far it hasn't hurt lens coatings, tints, or frames. You can find it at paint stores. It is normally used for stripping paint. At one time it claimed that it could be used as a gun cleaner also. So if the progressive marks still won't come off, clean your .38 & blow the sucker away!! ;)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Lens Cleaner

Spex

You can get Zeiss cleaner(same as Nanofilm) free if your selling Zeiss lenses. Check with your Zeiss Rep or Lab for details.

Judy
    Zeiss Rep (MD)

Thread Information