Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ergh! Refunds!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Confused Ergh! Refunds!

I have a client who bought a frame and rx lenses.......he didn't have an rx......i told him, based on what you have, this is what you need as long as the rx doesn't change.......he goes to the doctor and says he doesn't want that rx and now he doesn't want the glasses..........store policy......NO REFUNDS, STORE CREDIT ONLY.......well today store owner get a letter saying he's filing a claim.......so my question......since i didn't start on the job and no lenses were ordered....do we still have to refund lenses $..............
    History Reapeats Itself

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say no. We have it posted in our office as well, that all sales are final no refunds. It also prints on the cc slip and sales receipt. Part of the money from the sale obviously goes to paying the salaries for those who helped him pick out the glasses. My time is not refundable. I hope yours isn't.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think you can charge for a product never delivered. Maybe a 15% "restocking" fee for your time?
    How many times have you spent hour(s) with a pt only to lose the sale? It happens sometimes.
    I don't think you should refuse to refund the money given you have NOT started the job.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Understood, but would it hold up, since the lenses weren't ordered, do i still have the law on my back........but yeah, it's on our reciepts, pretty much everything...........
    History Reapeats Itself

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give the man his money back. What are you out other than the paper to write the credit? Your store policy sign has nothing to do with honor.

What do silly signs mean actually? Like "Not responsible for theft or accidents on lot!" This on a lot you pay to park in. The silly sign may say that but they are resposible for theft and accident's to your vehicle if it happens there.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People often assume everything on the planet is refundable, it is not. A purchase is a contract, as long as you met your obligation you are not obligated to provide a refund on anything, let alone a custom made item. There may be some jurisdictional differences in that policy, but, at least here in Canada, thats the case.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Chip - Give the refund and move on to the next, payin' customer!

Barry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    I don't think you can charge for a product never delivered. Maybe a 15% "restocking" fee for your time?
    How many times have you spent hour(s) with a pt only to lose the sale? It happens sometimes.
    I don't think you should refuse to refund the money given you have NOT started the job.

True, I was thinking maybe keep frame $ and give back lens$.......that would b fair......except, he wants ALL the money back, and we think he took his buisness elswhere so now we don't want to give him any $ back, ONLY store credit.......he filled a claim......who will win if we give him nothing back
    History Reapeats Itself

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Must admit that when I first read this I had the understanding that the lenses had not been made and patient was to return with Rx and changed his mind. The SOB probably should have to at least pay for lenses. Or cost of lenses. If frame was modified, as temple shortening, or similar he should probably have to eat this also.

Chip

Having said the above I would probably give refund and move on. Of course if patient returned, any future work would be cash in advance with a clear understanding that no refund, Rx change or whatever would be an option.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos83eye View Post
    True, I was thinking maybe keep frame $ and give back lens$.......that would b fair......except, he wants ALL the money back, and we think he took his buisness elswhere so now we don't want to give him any $ back, ONLY store credit.......he filled a claim......who will win if we give him nothing back
    Carlos,
    You haven't started the glasses. You haven't even taken the demo lenses out of the frame. Put the frame back on the board, shred the order, and give him his money back. How does this inconvienence you in any way?

People who demand refunds when it's clearly against store policy are not people I'd fight hard to keep as customers. You're lucky you haven't started the lenses and therefore are really out no money. If you spend your career fighting to keep unreasonable people as customers, you'll need a very early retirement!:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    O.K. so boss said, she's going to do what she's going to do, and by that I think it means, FIGHTS ON!!!!!! :angry:

Yeah, i feel i should do the rigt thing, but i spent time, i'd refund lens, keep frame on credit.......however, since the table turned and the optical, is propbably going to fight this thing.....would we win

I'll keep posted
    History Reapeats Itself

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to agree with the majority and say give him his money back. The bad rep you get is worse then any credit. We would all helped this client even if he didn't order at that time and by makeing his exprince the best it can be will make him and his family come back to you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ......who will win if we give him nothing back
    No one. You really want this guy as a patient? Let him go.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In our office all frames are preadjusted. Lens orders are done on the spot as well. We do this to speed up the turnaround time. If I were to order finish lenses, no problem. We will refund most of it, but keep a portion to cover the Opticians' time. We really don't have refund requests, so I guess it is a mute point in our office. Since most of our orders are for custom lenses I don't feel we should have to eat it. If I refund the patient they probably are not coming back anyway.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not compromise and make the lenses with the new RX, since you haven't done them yet?

Do patients have to sign the receipt that states all sales are final? If they've signed, they're SOL. If they don't sign, I don't know where you stand.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

If no lenses were ordered. . . .

give the guy his money back and get on with your life. Is the little money you keep worth him bad mouthing you to everyone he knows? You are out your time, but keeping anything is going to give hime the opportunity for ill will.

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos83eye View Post
    Understood, but would it hold up, since the lenses weren't ordered, do i still have the law on my back........but yeah, it's on our reciepts, pretty much everything...........

Are you out some money or something here or is this just a rule that must never be broken. Take the 15% fee for your trouble and give the guy a refund. It's not worth your time or energy and personally I would feel dishonest taking this guys money.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks guys,

But really, it's not my optical so all i can do is give my opinion, the advice I gave my boss is, he bought the frame, return the lens to his card and store credit the frame........I can't go on a total loss......the guy picked the frame and the lenses, i didn't order the lens so refund, but the frame, from the moment he signed, i feel those frames are no longer mine, i loaned it from the customer to do more work......

However, after that, i STILL think my boss will fight for the 100%.......

I'll keep this thread posted JIC anyone else has to make a decision like this, they'll know at least 1 outcome fa shure fa shure :hammer:
    History Reapeats Itself

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are the laws of men...
    There is the code of the South...
    There are the Laws of God...

Now which one you gonna follow?

I also think the law you are relying on has to do with "custom made devises". I suspect this does not apply to "custom not yet made devises."
    Last edited by chip anderson; 09-18-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Custom unmade devises

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lenses haven't been ordered yet? I suggest you let it go, it's not worth the fight. You can sell the frame to someone else or return it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We would refund the guy. The only thing you have really lost is your time.
    We would only baulk if the lenses were custom, and they had been strated by the lab. If the lenses were stock they can always be returned for a full credit.
    With refunds in general, I think you have to be flexible, and not just adopt the "store policy".
    We had a customer who picked up her prescription bifocal sunglasses 2 days ago along with her clear opticals. Total cost of specs > AUS $1500. She is a good and regular customer. She came in yesterday saying she didn't like the sunglass frame (CD), because of the big gold "Dior" bling on the temples. Said she hadn't noticed it when she selected them. She is 80 years old, so maybe she didn't.The logo sticks out like the proverbials, but ... she's a valued customer. We were able to change the lenses over into another frame, with just a little bit of hand edging required. We have put the sunglass inserts back into the frame and will put it back into stock. The customer offered to pay us for the changeover. We said that wouldn't be required. The new frame was AUS $100 less than the CD one, so we haven't lost anything at all, and the customer is happy. A win win situation.
    If you value the customer, you should be able to be able to "bend" a little bit for them to retain them. Cut your losses with the ones you want to get rid of.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait, wait... I'm really confused here. This guy came in, but had no Rx, and said "Yes, I want to buy this frame and these lenses." But changed his mind after he got his eyes examined? So, effectively, you set aside a frame? Now because you won't give him the money back, he's taking you to court? You're going to loose. Seriously. What exactly did this man pay for? You ordered no lenses, the frame (presumably) hasn't been modified, and the only thing the business is out is time... which you would have been out just as much if he had just said "No, I'll wait to put my payment down until I get my rx."

The whole situation makes no sense to me, and it's amazing me that your boss is fighting this. Court fees, the refund. It seems ridiculously stupid to be fighting over this when the business isn't even out any money.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    he can always have the credit card reverse the charge too...since he never received the product...also the fact that he didnt have a valid rx at the time of purchase...you in a way were practicing medicine without a license.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patients with buyer's remorse

Our office does virtually no refunds, but we are having a problem lately with patient's choosing a frame (which we help them with and give our opinion if asked) coming back a month or 2 later saying they don't like the frame. Usually, someone has said something to them that makes them question what they've purchased and they want to get another frame. Very seldom do they want something else that the lenses in their current pair can be cut into, so we have been making new lenses. It seems to be getting out of hand. Our doctor has a policy that we try our best to satisfy all patients, but this is costly especially with progressive lenses. It's almost always women and our office has 600 women's frames, most of them cutting edge styles. Any suggestions other than "all sales final"?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Charge a re-stocking fee

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    Our office does virtually no refunds, but we are having a problem lately with patient's choosing a frame (which we help them with and give our opinion if asked) coming back a month or 2 later saying they don't like the frame. Usually, someone has said something to them that makes them question what they've purchased and they want to get another frame. Very seldom do they want something else that the lenses in their current pair can be cut into, so we have been making new lenses. It seems to be getting out of hand. Our doctor has a policy that we try our best to satisfy all patients, but this is costly especially with progressive lenses. It's almost always women and our office has 600 women's frames, most of them cutting edge styles. Any suggestions other than "all sales final"?
    We have virtually the same policy but charge a re-stocking fee of 10 %. Our local lab does that to us and it seems reasonable .If your customers don't, let them shop elsewhere. It seems most in this thread offer no refunds or exchanges.

Thread Information