Thread: Insecurities Revealed

OptiBoard Professional eyecarepro's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy Insecurities Revealed

I suppose when things at work seem all TOO perfect, that's when you should watch out, huh? I work at this cute little franchise in the mall with a BIG name. I have three other co-workers. One we just recent brought on about 3 months ago. He came from the big kahouna of all optical companies, boasting over ten years of experience both in the lab and on the retail floor. Since he came on with us, back around the end of August, our lab AND retail remakes have gone through the roof, not to mention he's really giving us a bad rep. My co-workers and I are having to cover up for his mistakes several times a day with angry, irrate customers. Having said all this, I, on the other hand, feel VERY secure in my job (for the most part), and with the knowledge and expertise I possess having been with three optical companies already, and learned all I could from each. This company, by far has taught me the most in the year and a half I have been with them, and they pay me well (for my mere 5 years in the business) to boot. I'm not sure why this co-worker of mine hasn't been able to buckle down and learn from the mistakes he's made (still making) after being with the company now over three months. Before we lose any more money (customers) we are going to let him go. It's not final yet, but let's just say his future with the company doesn't look very bright right now. Fortunately, the owner, being the opportunistic, business-woman she is, already has people in line for his position. UNfortunately, the candidate with the highest potential of coming on with my company is a woman I have had the displeasure of working with before at another company. One of MANY reasons I left this company was because of her. Although her credentials are practically impeccable, her sales skills well honed, and her knowledge of products she sells impressive, I NEVER worked well with her. She was ALWAYS trying to show me up, in some way shape or form. I considered her on the extreme end of aggressive, bossy, pushy, and show-offish. And this was just with other co-workers. This was all well and fine at this Big-Shot company she's with now. But we're a close knit team at the store I'm at now, with the exception of the new guy. I feel that, if she were hired, any chance she got, she would work to belittle my status with the company, and eventually take over my position. I'm NOT being paranoid. This is exactly what happened before, at this other company i worked at. For the past year and a half I have been REALLy comfortable and happy (overall) with my job and especially my fellow co-workers. I see this woman as being the stone that will break my fragile glass home I have called 'work'. I'm not really sure what I should do. It's not even for sure she'll be hired. I'm just trying to cover my bases BEFORE it happens. I take my job seriously. I take my work ENVIRONMENT even more seriously. Her coming on with my company would force me to consider positions at other companies. Alas, my insecurities shine through. Working side by side with this other woman was the only time I ever REALLY felt insecure with my performance at work. Incidentally, if all goes well, we should both be getting our licenses at the same time (middle of next year), rendering me even more mediocre next to this woman. I've already spoken to the boss man about my feelings. But he knows how picky I can be, so this is kind of a moot point with him. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I need all the feedback I can get to prepare me for the high liklihood that she may just be coming on whether I like it or not. PLEASE- do not suggest seeking therapy- :) I'm not crazy, just a little insecure right now. Aren't we all sometimes?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Working on the old adage that you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer, be really nice to her.
    This will end up going one of three ways.
    1) She will like you , and not be a ***** to you. She may still be awful to everyone else, but they should have come to Aunt Maria for advice as well.
    2) She will turn out to be really nice.
    3) She will be awful and try and stab you in the back. And because you've been so nice to her, this will make her look particularly bad. "She's even horrid to Paranoid Bob" (or whatever your real name is) , they will say. "And he's her friend"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyecarepro: Fear not after all she is only a woman. Can hardly wait to hear Maria on this.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had that problem about 2 years ago. I worked in a small, franchised office of a large chain of optical stores. We had a staff of 5(including the dr.), and a person from a non-franchised location became part of our staff. She mixed like oil and water with the entire staff. That was the most miserable 6 months of my life. Eventually she sighned her own death warrant though by bad mouthing our dr. to a long time patient--so be hopeful!!! Maybe your manager will take into acount everyones thoughts when they hire a new employee.

:finger: In response to that comment about woman---One woman can be more dangerous than a platoon of men!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, she's ONLY a woman? So am I and Eleanor Roosevelt, Indira Ghandi, Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, Marie Curie, Margaret Sanger, Babe Diedrickson-Zaharias, Princess Diana, Mother Theresa...and incidentally, "eyecarepro"...shall I go on?

ECP, You'll be fine. You've established yourself and your reputation in that practice and with your patients. Keep doing what you're doing.

OptiBoard Professional eyecarepro's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Much appreciation to everyone & their ideas on this matter...I guess I'll just have to wait patiently to see what comes of this. I can only hope the owner of the place I work at will take my feelings into consideration before hiring this woman. Two people can't do a job meant for one. It just doesn't work.
    Much MORE appreciation goes to Judy, for enlightening the ladies and gentlemen of the forum that I am indeed a woman. :)

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello all,

First to Sparky "In response to that comment about woman---One woman can be more dangerous than a platoon of men!" I think that's Eyecarepro's whole point ;)

Then to my dear friend Chipster. Aside from the fact that you're obviously sexist, you sure know how to make friends and influence people. I have worked in an office where I and the doc were the only two men and it was abosolutely horrible. I vowed to never work in another office full of women again. There was only one problem with my reasoning. Working with THOSE specific women was a terrible experience but I won't say nor will I think for a minute that it's all women that create that kind of environment nor will I say that men are void of this type of behavior, i.e Chip as an example ;). I've worked around men that were very petty; the doc being one of them not to mention he was the biggest back stabber I've ever known.

Psuedo in Chips defense I must say (to be fare) that I have been told by three different women that the worst place to work is in an office full of women. The women that said this to me I have great respect for and are not the kind of people you would ever expect to hear anything like that from. I still won't lump everyone into the same catagory because it's not right and it's not fair to anyone, men or women. There's good and bad in everyone.

To Eyecarepro, Maria is absolutely right. If you do your job and treat this person with kindness you will never look bad. Also remember that this is your job and not your life. You work to make a living. Living is what you do after you clock out at the end of the day. You can only be insecure if you don't know what your doing. If that is the case then learn more in those areas where you are lacking. Perhaps this person could teach you the things you need to work on. Everything is a learning experience and "what don't kill you makes you stronger." ;) Take care and don't sweat the small stuff.

Darris C.

PS. Judy,

SWAK ;)

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Be afraid be VERY afraid!!! I speak from experience. I just left a job about 7 months ago for similar reasons. It was not that I couldn't handle my job or that I wasn't good at it. The WOMEN there made life unbearable. Now I am not knocking women here I am simply speaking from my own personal experience. The women I worked with seem to have a problem with other women. They hated our doctor...another woman...they hated me, and I have noticed any other female who might have taken their job seriously was punished for it. It is a sad but true fact that goes on and sometimes they come in packs simply because there is power in numbers. If there is only one person complaining YOU must be the problem~~ if ya catch my drift. I have watched people who aren't worth shooting promoted not because they were the best person for the job but because they had the best BS skills. It is very sad but it goes on always has always will. Lucky for them; unfortunate for us and the public suffers greatly from some of these people. I have no good advice except to watch your back, keep a diary of EVERYTHING that goes on DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT. You NEVER know when you will have to prove something. Even if you don't win you will at least know THEY know you are right. I know that is little consolation but you will at least have it documented for further investigation if need be. I obviously LOST my battle and it is very unfortunate for the company and the customers I served because I cared very very much. The company would not back me and didn't seem to care so I had to chose Sanity over employment and get out. I had to take a HUGE paycut as I am not working as a licensed optician and I am not working full time. Sometimes the only true payoff is getting out of the situation and learning from your experience. I am sorry I have nothing better to offer.

Good Luck!!
    Steph" Been there done that didn't even get a t-shirt" D

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks Ladies!

As you have probably sumised there is nothing I like more than to stir up an little controversy and you have certianly come up to expectations.

Can't say enough about your examples of : Golda Meir, Maggie Thatcher, Marie Curie, and Mother Theresa. Sure can't see what you found exemplary in the others though.

Chip:cheers:

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Hey Chip you forgot to mention ME!!! LOL!! I am just kidding of course!

Steph:shiner:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,
    I wouldn't expect that you could understand my choices and any attempt to explain would be akin to teaching a pig to dance, frustrating for me and annoying to the pig.

Thread Information