Thread: Frame designs for generation yuppi-boomers

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Frame designs for generation yuppi-boomers

What frame designs are working for you in the older patient markets (50-75)? The boomer generation is retiring and I looking to find quality frames but not high-end designers.

I am looking to bring fashion to a retirement community. There are four opticals in the area and all four are selling the same stuff. Big frames in zyl lavender, browns lot of double bars gray and gold (yuk) I want to stay away from the classic older person look. I am looking for quality, stylish, frames to bring in to a one-doctor practice where some patients come to their appointment driving their golf carts. Older people (65-75) want to look great in quality; stylish frames without having to decide if their grocery money should go to glasses. The majority is a seniors market but we do see other patients from the surrounding areas whose ages range from 35-49 with very few kids.

Thanks

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper check websites.....................

Do a optical websites research and you will find everything you want I have a listing of 695 sites.

You can find it at http://optochemicals.com//web_listing.htm

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You really can't put such a large range on the age group. 50 year olds (such as myself) are waaay far removed from 75 year olds. I break it down like this 45-60, 65-80. For us, the 45-60 year olds still like something trendy but not over the top. Their frames need to be progressive friendly. Colors are bolder but not heavy. Semi-rimless does very well here. As do sun clips and second pair suns. Now the 65-80 year olds are from an entirely different generation. Here is where the larger styles come in. The colors are lighter, the styles are more conservative. Three piece rimless does well with this group as well as decorative temples for the women and flex-frames for the men. This is right now. As time goes on you are going to notice changes in preferences. The trick is to keep on top of your market.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    coco,
    did you intentionally leave out the 61-64 age group? Are they not as fashion conscience as their 45-60 or 65-80 aged counterparts?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hi Yvette!

That's exactly the demographic I had when I last dispensed. Rimless accounted for over 30% of sales and I carried the Minima line and the T2 collection from The Lensworks. T2 is like 2.5 and was not only light and comfortable but if you drilled it with the Phoenix/trivex lens it was indestructable. I sold more Minima's because it was a more subdued line of rimless than the T2's, with a 10 yr warranty. They came in beautiful colors like vibrant turquoise and electric purple (biggest seller!) and they were thin like Silhouettes but more rugged.

http://www.t2eyewear.com/

Alain Mikli's very expensive but very unique titanium line was a hit as well. For name brands, Caroline Herrera, Versace, Fendi all have stylish frames with larger b's.

http://www.mikli.fr/

Then, for the 70++ crowd I had Silver Dollar. Great price, great product, great variety, great warranty.

http://www.silverdollaroptical.com/sdoc.html

Good luck out there, I hear your city is a booming metropolis!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    coco,
    did you intentionally leave out the 61-64 age group? Are they not as fashion conscience as their 45-60 or 65-80 aged counterparts?
    I think I meant to put them in with the younger group as they seem not quite ready for the big zyls and the double bars.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Do a optical websites research and you will find everything you want I have a listing of 695 sites.

You can find it at http://optochemicals.com//web_listing.htm

I have used your site on more than one occasion, thanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks this is what I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Hi Yvette!

That's exactly the demographic I had when I last dispensed. Rimless accounted for over 30% of sales and I carried the Minima line and the T2 collection from The Lensworks. T2 is like 2.5 and was not only light and comfortable but if you drilled it with the Phoenix/trivex lens it was indestructable. I sold more Minima's because it was a more subdued line of rimless than the T2's, with a 10 yr warranty. They came in beautiful colors like vibrant turquoise and electric purple (biggest seller!) and they were thin like Silhouettes but more rugged.

http://www.t2eyewear.com/

Alain Mikli's very expensive but very unique titanium line was a hit as well. For name brands, Caroline Herrera, Versace, Fendi all have stylish frames with larger b's.

http://www.mikli.fr/

Then, for the 70++ crowd I had Silver Dollar. Great price, great product, great variety, great warranty.

http://www.silverdollaroptical.com/sdoc.html

Good luck out there, I hear your city is a booming metropolis!

Thanks Optigrrl,

I have not worked with this age group specifically and it seems somewhat overwhelming. This area is starting to see the migration of snowbirds and people from all over the northern states are besieging this once quite town. I knew there would be change but did not expect to come to a halt here in Arizona, different from Colorado where everyone is late for something and tomorrow actually means the next day. The extended warmer day for riding shall be great.
    I was looking for a way to differentiate this office from the other four. With out being wasteful. I have not worked with T2 and I believe it will work here thanks for sharing, ;-).

Y.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have good success with Silhouette rimless (TMA, NG3 and SPXMotion), Europa's Cote D'Azur line (I understand they'll be breaking off the men's frames into a new line sometime soon), Chesterfield and Jones NY for men, and Ellen Tracy, 9 West and Sax 5th Ave for women. With the younger end of the group, I also do well with Vera Wang and Jones NY. And, surprisingly, I also do fairly well with ProDesign.

I also pick up other things that work well. Global has some very good stuff for women and men in this age group and at very good prices.

Lines I haven't tried but I think would do well: Dana Buchman, Carolina Herrera. At lower price points: Timex, and Izod for men.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Safilo's Carrera line has some flexible offerings that are quite nice. They have sporty designs with a slightly bowed temple (similar to the Nike stuff but not as much money). The Carrera line has a nice selection of larger singlebar frames in rimless and full rim. We also do well with Lightec from Morel Cottet. The Lightec frames are very stylish and great quality.

For women check out Kenmark's Dana Buchman collection. (the Lightec stuff does well with women also)

Thread Information