Thread: Most powerful certifications...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Most powerful certifications...

Alright. I'd love some feedback from the nations wisest. Yep...YOU! I've been a certified optician (ABO) for the better part of ten years now. Got my start with telescope, microscope and binocular optics at a local planetarium before that. Really enjoy the tech side of lenses and their design, but also have really come to love patient care, diagnostic testing and some minor surgical assisting over the years.

Several years ago, I looked into obtaining my Advanced ABO and perhaps even Master Optician certifications. Though in talking the past year or so with several local Optometrists, I get a sense that the Certified Paraoptometric certification might be of more use, and might be more valuable to any potential future employers.

Then of course there's the option of going COA/COT and sticking primarily with pre-test and diagnostics, perhaps a bit of ER or surgery as well.

It seems that all of these options present with a glass ceiling of some form. My question for you all is this:

Given your choice (mine is not to go to optometry school in case that's suggested), would you recommend one certification or career path over another? If so why? Where can one maximize their training to maximize their salary. Is it possible to make much more than a simple and rather modest living as an optician these days?

I also have no interest in sales, so a rep position really doesn't attract me.

Would love to hear where you've come from, where you'd like to go (or are going!), and why.

Thanks for your ears - and for your feedback!

Brian~

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Go for the ABOM! You do have quite a few options with an advanced Opticianry certification. You could work for a large chain, lens manufacturer, whole sale lab, even private optometric offices. In these cases you may find yourself in a technical and educational position. Of course it all depends your work ethic and maybe your college education. Getting advanced certified is no gaurantee of anything.As for the Paraoptometric and Ophthalmic Tech. certifications, they're fine but your confined to assisting an OD or MD. Techs cannot be self employed as techs. For the Ophthalmic Tech. stuff you need to have worked for a MD for one year before you can take the test (I believe that you can also take the test if you have taken certain ophthalmic courses).If you really want to keep your options open just try and go for them all.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are only two (2) top certifications in US opticianry... the ABOM and FCLSA. Nothing higher, nothing tougher, nothing more respected in the USA. In Canada, however, most have no idea what a CLSA Fellow designation entails, or for that matter the ABO Master Optician.

Not easy to get, but these credentials speak volumes on a resume. Lots of work, but just think...

Uilleann, ABOM, FCLSA:cheers:

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Sorry, not to change the subject...Ted, you play the bagpipes?

Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post

Uilleann, ABOM, FCLSA:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's Brian...(not Ted) :)

And yes, uilleann bagpipes. If you think opticians don't get the respect they deserve, well...LOL At least it wasn't the banjo!

http://www.uilleann.org

Thanks guys for the replies. I am also still curious if anyone had any input on the salary ranges one might or should expect given experience etc. Thanks!

Bri~

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Hi Brian,

I was commenting on tmorse's post. Uilleann, ABOM, FCLSA.

Uilleann was placed before the titles ABOM, FCLSA. Since I am aware of some of tmorse's titles, it was presented (the way i read it while consuming alcohol) that he had some sort of bagpipe title.

Your quote ~ If you think opticians don't get the respect they deserve, well...LOL At least it wasn't the banjo!

Funny how posts can be so easily misinterpreted via the internet. I have high respects.. happy friday..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL! Gotcha!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So in response to the Master Optician certification, a few more questions: What would YOU do with it yourself? What's your dream job? What is the salary you would expect to earn with your credentials and in your ideal position? Is this recognized outside of the USA? Is there a glass ceiling even as a Master Optician? Do you feel it would make a viable career option - or just a step to something else?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I have great respect for the CLSA and I did hear a rumor that it took one of the past presents three times to pass the fellow exam, I passed it very easily with no study or preparation back in the 60's when I was very young.
    I think the main reason that so many opticians/contact lens techs fail to achieve the certifications they desire is they are afraid to take the tests!
    Sometimes having a little nerve goes a very long way.

Chip

Thread Information