Thread: Best balanced PAL for computer users?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Best balanced PAL for computer users?

I have a lot of patients who need an all-purpose balanced PAL that does well for their extensive computer use. These are folks who have been offered and REFUSED the option of a second pair of dedicated computer glasses. I have used solamax in the past but have had a high non-adapt rate. We currently use Definity on these patients but it's an expensive lens. Any other options?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is Sola XL still made? It has a good intermediate area but I don't think it can be put in very narrow frames.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    I have a lot of patients who need an all-purpose balanced PAL that does well for their extensive computer use. These are folks who have been offered and REFUSED the option of a second pair of dedicated computer glasses. I have used solamax in the past but have had a high non-adapt rate. We currently use Definity on these patients but it's an expensive lens. Any other options?
    Solamax has a very narrow distance channel, so people tend to only like it as a second reading pair.

Honestly, go with the Ovation. Inexpensive, balanced, and practical.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is old news, but Sheedy's zone measurements showed the Gradal Top to be among the best (at the time) in intermediate zone area.

Caveat: near area was small, but distance was good. You need a 20 mm for this one to work, IMO.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post

Honestly, go with the Ovation. Inexpensive, balanced, and practical.
    I fit a friend of mine with Definity Short under her VSP. She wanted a second pair so to save money I used Ovation. She likes them both but she likes Ovation better.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I fit a friend of mine with Definity Short under her VSP. She wanted a second pair so to save money I used Ovation. She likes them both but she likes Ovation better.
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Delete.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Delete.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper this economy has somethng to do ......................

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post

......................I'm certain that this economy has somethng to do with customers refusing second pairs, probably more so for computer use than for sunwear.
    You hit the nail on the box.....................

Furthermore there NO progressive that is use-full for computer glasses. There are 2 fix distances............screen and reading..........you need no progressive part.

You need full vision for both above described distances and the largest field of vision possible for both distances.

Anybody spending hours on a computer wants and is entitled the right to the ease of good clear vision and not having to spend a fortune for lenses that are inferior for this purpose, when optically perfect bifocal lenses are available.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sell a fair number of the Shamir Autograph Office lens, and I just explain that a PAL is a swiss army knife. You can do many small tasks with it, but when you're gonna build a house, you get the real screwdriver, not the little one on your pocket knife. The office lens is your real tool.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    What about the GT-2?
    I didn't fit her with that, but I've worn it myself. It was good but I don't remember much detail about it.

I have a pair of Definity Short that really do work well on the computer but the reading area isn't huge. If they had a deeper B measurement I think they would work better for reading, though.

No progressive is going to work well on a computer if the screen is too high. I have my screen set so the top of it is well below my eye level and I still need to hold my head straight to see the screen through my Definity lenses.

So many people have their screens set so they are at eye level and they will have to lift their heads up to see the screen with any progressive. A lot of people have trouble understanding why their lenses don't work, especially since they used to be able to see the screen through the top of their lenses when their add power was lower.

I explain, I draw pictures and I think most people finally get it. But so many still don't want to lower their screens (or they can't), don't want to get a deeper frame, or don't want to get a pair of computer glasses.

Of course, they eat out several times a month and think nothing of paying a hundred dollars or more on a purse or shoes.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure I notice a big difference in intermediate width between my Definity and my GT2. I'd use either, probably gravitate toward the Definity in higher add powers.

In a less expensive lens, why not try an Accolade? Similar to Ovation but with better optics, IMHO.

All that said, none of these will work optimally for folks working on large monitors all day long. For those folks, I'd agree with Chris: the FT option gives the greatest viewing area and at the least cost. If a progressive is a must, the Shamir Office works fine, and so does Zeiss' old RD, and both are in the lower-price catagory.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    You hit the nail on the box.....................

Furthermore there NO progressive that is use-full for computer glasses. There are 2 fix distances............screen and reading..........you need no progressive part.

You need full vision for both above described distances and the largest field of vision possible for both distances.

Anybody spending hours on a computer wants and is entitled the right to the ease of good clear vision and not having to spend a fortune for lenses that are inferior for this purpose, when optically perfect bifocal lenses are available.
    Chris, even though you keep repeating this, it doesn't make it true in every case. Many people want to see who is on the other side of their desk, or the clock on the wall. Many will not wear a line in ANY situation. After you get used to not having a line, getting used to a line is not natural.
    I understand that a lined BF will have a wider area for reading and a wider area for the screen. But there are advantages to the no-line also.

BTW we don't dispense them for profit. Our office lens is a no-line or FT35; patient's choice; same price. And since normally there is no reason for poly, it's even less expensive.

I would even suggest that others set the pricing the same. If you compare the SOLA Access to a FT35, you will see that the price is very similiar.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Chris, but then I'm not on commission or subject to having my sales reviewed at the end of the month.:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Andrew Weiss;263674]I'm not sure I notice a big difference in intermediate width between my Definity and my GT2. I'd use either, probably gravitate toward the Definity in higher add powers.

In a less expensive lens, why not try an Accolade? Similar to Ovation but with better optics, IMHO.

quote]

The Accolade has a wide distance and a fairly narrow near area under 20. Not too sure about the midrange.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I'm with Chris, but then I'm not on commission or subject to having my sales reviewed at the end of the month.:hammer:
    OK but you need to realize that some people WILL NOT wear a lined lens.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a lot of patients who need an all-purpose balanced PAL that does well for their extensive computer use.
    They won't be balanced if they're strongly biased towards near function (see caveat below). Moreover, extensive computer use is a strong trigger for a separate pair recommendation. If you're seeing a lot of patients passing on separate pairs then you might not be presenting the functional advantages of a second pair properly.

If it's for a desktop monitor, you'll need a PAL design that has some plus power near or at the fitting cross, a short corridor, and where possible, a longer than typical distance to the monitor. For example, my monitor at work is at 30", with the center of the screen about 5 degrees down. The best all-in-one lens that has worked reasonably well for myself and my clients is the Hoya Summit CD.

It should be noted that my home monitor is closer and higher than my office monitor- the only lens that works for me is a separate pair with the distance adjusted for 24" (Add is +2.25 @ 40cm).

Caveat- we must tell our clients that these short corridor designs will have substantial off-axis distance blur, and depending on the Add power, PAL design, and pupil diameter, on-axis distance blur as well, and possibly some very distracting flare with lights at night.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information