Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little time has passed...Who's buying Marchon now?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A little time has passed...Who's buying Marchon now?

I was at an optician gathering last night, and I asked around the table who is still buying from Marchon, uh, I mean VSP? There were 9 of us there, and they all said they've sworn off Marchon.

I went on to ask what if VSP let opticians on board? Most said they still wouldn't buy from them.

What do you think? Are you still buying from them?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm still buying from them!

I'm still buying replacement Airlock chasis for all of the blasted defectives I have foolishly sold over the years!

UGH!!!

:angry::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never had them Never will.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunantely, I'm heavy into Marchon, but I am already selling down and looking for replacement lines. For us that wish to have differing stock than the OD down the road, this VSP/Marchon deal may well serve us....

I would think, (if I were an OD taking VSP) of stocking heavily in Marchon since you will get a premium from VSP for selling one. This means every Tom, Dick and OD will have the same frames on display. This is great when you wish to stand out from the crowd.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I only carry coach, no core, nike, or flexon. My stock of coach is very low, and will see what the show in vegas has to replace it. It did sell very well here, but I see the end in sight.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm seeing less of it at the lab. Most folks I've talked to are selling down as they can, even some of the VSP OD's.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I'm still buying from them!

I'm still buying replacement Airlock chasis for all of the blasted defectives I have foolishly sold over the years!

UGH!!!

:angry::cheers::cheers::D
    ME TOO! In fact 2 since the deal was closed!

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still have Flexon and Nautica. I'm looking for replacements for Flexon, and Nautica I'll probably sell down and let it go away. Even if I get a premium from VSP for selling Marchon frames, it still doesn't equal the discount I could get elsewhere for similar product.

As an OD's office, I'm less inclined to stock up on what other ODs are carrying. After all, I want to differentiate this office. The only Marchon line I'd think of adding is Coach, and that because it's the only line people ask for by name at this office.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Unfortunantely, I'm heavy into Marchon, but I am already selling down and looking for replacement lines. For us that wish to have differing stock than the OD down the road, this VSP/Marchon deal may well serve us....

I would think, (if I were an OD taking VSP) of stocking heavily in Marchon since you will get a premium from VSP for selling one. This means every Tom, Dick and OD will have the same frames on display. This is great when you wish to stand out from the crowd.

Ah yes, I was having this discussion yesterday with the practice owner and his son. "Lets stock more Viva to maximize our return on the incentives to match it with Davis, and If we get rid of these two other vendors, we can look into bringing in Marchon and getting the "free" money from them just for all the VSP we do.."

Ugh.. The reason why I didn't bump up our level on the Davis/Viva promotion is cause I don't see the point in buying 30 more frames and spending $1300-1500 to get an extra $500 in "free" money. Since it really isn't free!! You are getting a rebate for your frame purchases... buying your spots, and then turning you into a frachise of them.

Brought up the whole differentation aspect too.. was told that "We don't care, and in some ways it is beneficial to have the same product as the stores across the street and other ODs in the area. That way we can WoW them with our service.. and our referrals come from our service. So its a moot point."

My response, yes.. we do get lots of word of mouth referrals. We also though are not at max capacity and can be doing _more_ business. What attracts patients who haven't met any of our rabid fan base is our product selection and being able to offer them something that isn't seen in 4 other offices within a mile radius. Cause then, many will be shopping price 1st.

But I am sure, it isn't only my doctor that is falling for this crap.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sell Coach, Nike, and Flexon. We also do a ton of VSP business. For flexon replacements I'd look at Safilo Carerra Flexolite or Charmant's CFX line. The Carrera is a stiffer material similar to the flexon, and has some nice styles. The CFX has more selection, but a more rubbery flex material, imo.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mystery solved!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post

Brought up the whole differentation aspect too.. was told that "We don't care, and in some ways it is beneficial to have the same product as the stores across the street and other ODs in the area. That way we can WoW them with our service..

I think we've solved the mystery as to who Boroyski is. It's go t to be your boss!!:D

That's one of the funnies statements I've read today. (Ok, maybe "Visual Feelss"" wsa a little better, but not much.)

Hot Dog Vendor: Yes sir, it's the same hot dog, and the same ketchup and mustard as the cart accross the street, but please notice how smoothly I applied teh toppings. And also please notice how I placed it in the bun. That's why my hot dogs cost more!
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its getting ugly...

Luxottica = Lenscrafters :shiner:

Viva = Davis Vision :shiner:

Marchon -= VSP :shiner:

Despite what any of those insurance companies say, like how much they care for you, that is bull. All they care about is themselves, lining their pockets with the real profit. The three Os are dispensable.

Do you feel like you're working harder and making less money??
    :angry:

The reason why is mentioned above... If you take those insurances.
    Last edited by Matthew; 09-11-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I haven't bought any Marchon since I took over the retail part also about three years ago. I always thought the Nike stuff was too overpriced for it's relatively poor sturdiness.

You might look into the Easy Twist from Aspex. Somehow they've managed to align the flexiness in the bridge to make it difficult to twist the lenses out of coplanar. They flex easily every other direction, just not torsion.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I think we've solved the mystery as to who Boroyski is. It's go t to be your boss!!:D

That's one of the funnies statements I've read today. (Ok, maybe "Visual Feelss"" wsa a little better, but not much.)

Hot Dog Vendor: Yes sir, it's the same hot dog, and the same ketchup and mustard as the cart accross the street, but please notice how smoothly I applied teh toppings. And also please notice how I placed it in the bun. That's why my hot dogs cost more!
    :cheers:

Now This is the funniest thing I read today!!

:D:D:D

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So have all of you already dumped all your Luxottica and Viva? At least Marchon is still self run entity with all the same management.

I don't carry Lux because commercial optometry is bad for optometry and that's all LC and Pearle sells. Gotta love all that LC advertising!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Aspex / Easy Clip is also RETAIL

In case you were not aware Aspex bought the Farhat Chain of stores in Quebec and sell retail as well as wholesale. Add them to the list of wholesalers gone reatil.....Oakely a reatil wholesaler.

My question is when safilo will atke the plunge

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    In case you were not aware Aspex bought the Farhat Chain of stores in Quebec and sell retail as well as wholesale. Add them to the list of wholesalers gone reatil.....Oakely a reatil wholesaler.

Solstise Stores coming to a corner near you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look up Solstice sunglass stores.:finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I haven't bought any Marchon since I took over the retail part also about three years ago. I always thought the Nike stuff was too overpriced for it's relatively poor sturdiness.

You might look into the Easy Twist from Aspex. Somehow they've managed to align the flexiness in the bridge to make it difficult to twist the lenses out of coplanar. They flex easily every other direction, just not torsion.
    In my experience that Easy Twist stuff is like rubber. Definitely not as sturdy as Flexon.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just sent all my Nike sunglasses back and we just bought before I knew about the merger, The Michael Kors line. I will see how it does for a couple of months and send it all back if I can..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

We carry the ones that make us $$$$

We haven't had a Marchon/VSP fire sale. We will carry the lines that make the most fiscal sense. We will continue to carry until either VSP or Lux.(we are a Pearle franchise) forbids. We need every $ we can get right now, for us Nike and Coach are hot selling lines for us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We will carry the lines that make the most fiscal sense.
    I assume then, that you have booted the likes of Marchon and the other BigBoy Opticals a long time ago?

If not..............you are definitely not carrying the lines that make the most fiscal sense!

Come on....Join the Revolution!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    So have all of you already dumped all your Luxottica and Viva? At least Marchon is still self run entity with all the same management.

I don't carry Lux because commercial optometry is bad for optometry and that's all LC and Pearle sells. Gotta love all that LC advertising!

Of course!

But...are you saying VSP is GOOD for optometry?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fezz, what lines do you carry?

If not..............you are definitely not carrying the lines that make the most fiscal sense!

Fezz, Please tell us your top frame lines and include top insurance lines.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 09-12-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: clarity

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Of course!

But...are you saying VSP is GOOD for optometry?
    Its the best of the worst you could say.

Thread Information