Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rx issue

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Rx issue

I have a client who wants me to copy an RX.....I ask how old is the script, he says 4 years old......I get the # of the store he went to and they tell me, can't give the script.....over 4 years old......so I ask him to go to the doc since my lensometer hasn't come in yet.......doc gives him a new scipt but client says, he doesn't like the new rx.....to give him rx from glasses or he won't purchase glasses from us. Whould I be wrong to rx his old glasses to keep the job.....i mean, ethically it's ok?:hammer:
    History Reapeats Itself

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would tell him to back to the OD and ask him if it is OK. I don't think you should do it without approval.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chances are if he'd just wear them a week he'd like the new Rx.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't do it...from your post it sounds like you have already asked and the doc said, nope, it's 4 yrs old. If the pt is unhappy, he should go back to the doc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you actually made and dispensed the new Rx?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm just curious if an exam has a subjective portion and this person is obviously very picky about what he wants, why wouldn't making the original Rx be OK? I wouldn't have a problem doign it just make sure the patient understands that their is no remake warranty since they would be going against doctors advice, either he will come around and use the new Rx or take his chances with the old either way he gets what he want's.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Have you actually made and dispensed the new Rx?
    No, but by wha the doctor showed him, he doesn't like it, and it was at that time that the client asked to have the old rx done.......I don't want to make it for him, but at the same time i want him to be happy, and i don't want to lose thebuisness to an optical that WOULD do it for him......

As harry said, would it be correct to let the patient know and let him take the toll of an outdated rx?
    History Reapeats Itself

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What if the patient sees 20/50 with the old Rx (not legal to drive in most states) and is driving? Filling an expired prescription could actually get you into hot water with issues like that. Have the patient see the OD... that's why ODs get the big bucks, to deal with nightmare patients like that.:)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    What if the patient sees 20/50 with the old Rx (not legal to drive in most states) and is driving? Filling an expired prescription could actually get you into hot water with issues like that. Have the patient see the OD... that's why ODs get the big bucks, to deal with nightmare patients like that.:)
    From what I got from the post the person did see the doc and still wanted the old Rx, so under:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.op.nysed.gov/article144.htm#def
    §7121. Definition of practice of ophthalmic dispensing.

Replacements or duplicates of such lenses may be adapted and dispensed without prescription.
    It's practiceing opticianry to the full scope.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Jew Da Man Harry
    :cheers:
    History Reapeats Itself

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You shouldn't be doing anything optical without a lensometer!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    You shouldn't be doing anything optical without a lensometer!
    You can hand-neutralize.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    You can hand-neutralize.
    I guess not since he sent the guy to Dr.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    What is the law on neutralizing glasses in NY? When I worked in Kansas you could not do it, but in CO, MO, and IA you could.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call me crazy here..

But if he didn't like the RX the doctor did in the exam? Why didn't he speak up and say so? Isn't that part of the "subjective" portion of things?

I would still probably call the doc to just give him a heads up.. in case patient makes his way back there to complain if they aren't as ideal as he thinks they will be.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting...

Most states have a vision-screening (pass/fail) threshold of 20/40.
    Most states have a vision-screening frequency of 8 years.
    Alot of things can happen to the fluidity of focus in 8 years

Q: How do we logically reconcile Rx expiration dates of 2 years, and DMV *expirations* of 8 years? Is either "correct"?

Opinions?

Barry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    But if he didn't like the RX the doctor did in the exam? Why didn't he speak up and say so? Isn't that part of the "subjective" portion of things?
    That's exactly what I was thinking, I assumed that they discussed that they wanted the old Rx especially since that was the original discussion on the phone with teh other office. I know that in our office a phone conversation and the history don't always contain all the same data, btu I would think that if the patient was that adamant about having the old Rx they would have voiced that to the doctor. If they did, I am real real curious how many doctors would allow the patient to make the choice when it comes to an old Rx compared to a new Rx and what's the threshold (VA or Diopter) if you do allow it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ADO View Post
    What is the law on neutralizing glasses in NY? When I worked in Kansas you could not do it, but in CO, MO, and IA you could.
    NY (I think) understands that no real harm comes from duplicating an Rx. And if we shouldn't be allowed to duplicate, should we then also arrest those who don an older, spare (expired?) pair from time to time? Or should the old pairs be confiscated before the new eyewear can be dispensed?

?????

Barry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ADO View Post
    See my above post for link and reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini
    And if we shouldn't be allowed to duplicate, should we then also arrest those who don an older, spare (expired?) pair from time to time?
    Me and Fezz will pack the guns you coral the horses, we're going spare pair huntin'. :D Maybe a reminder card every 2 years, "your glasses are now illegal, should you be caught wearing them in public the optical police may be forced to shoot"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking, I assumed that they discussed that they wanted the old Rx especially since that was the original discussion on the phone with teh other office. I know that in our office a phone conversation and the history don't always contain all the same data, btu I would think that if the patient was that adamant about having the old Rx they would have voiced that to the doctor. If they did, I am real real curious how many doctors would allow the patient to make the choice when it comes to an old Rx compared to a new Rx and what's the threshold (VA or Diopter) if you do allow it?
    I can't speak for other docs, but for me it comes down to safety driving. If they are legal and safe to drive with the old rx, I'd probably ok it. If not, there's not a chance of me writing the script for the old one because then I'm responsible if there's an issue. I'm not taking responsibility for someone elses' stupidity. And that's the problem with bypassing the doc's new rx and just copying the old rx... there's a slim chance it could come back to bite the optician later. It's better to send the patient back to the doc for an rx check and let him take the brunt of the problems. Although from the post it sounds like the patient is complaining about a script they didn't even get yet.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    See my above post for link and reference.

Me and Fezz will pack the guns you coral the horses, we're going spare pair huntin'. :D Maybe a reminder card every 2 years, "your glasses are now illegal, should you be caught wearing them in public the optical police may be forced to shoot"
    And, fer chrys sake, what about all those old (expired) pairs we used to (I hope used to) tint into sunglasses...for...(ta-dah!): DRIVING!

YIKES!

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cme4specs View Post
    you shouldn't be doing anything optical without a lensometer!
    omg!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    And, fer chrys sake, what about all those old (expired) pairs we used to (I hope used to) tint into sunglasses...for...(ta-dah!): DRIVING!

YIKES!

Barry
    Barry!! Barry!!! Please stop. All this rational thinking will get us absolutly nowhere. Just make the old Rx,(which is legal by the way) and stop confusing me with the moral parts of what we do.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have a trial frame & lens available, you could always put the new Rx in and have the patient read the chart. Then compare to the old one. Even if they don't see as well in the old as new, you have peace of mind of knowing how far off it is.

Occupation
    I can't speak for other docs, but for me it comes down to safety driving. If they are legal and safe to drive with the old rx, I'd probably ok it. If not, there's not a chance of me writing the script for the old one because then I'm responsible if there's an issue. I'm not taking responsibility for someone elses' stupidity. And that's the problem with bypassing the doc's new rx and just copying the old rx... there's a slim chance it could come back to bite the optician later. It's better to send the patient back to the doc for an rx check and let him take the brunt of the problems. Although from the post it sounds like the patient is complaining about a script they didn't even get yet.
    That's kinda what I was thinking that there would be a threshold for the OK or No go and it makes sense, I am thinking the same thing this guy is a bit too picky, might be a lose lose situation either way.

Thread Information