Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rx issue

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    NYS allows it. I might do it if it were an intermediate or near Rx, but not if it were for distance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I am thinking the same thing this guy is a bit too picky, might be a lose lose situation either way.
    Experience speaks;).
    Harry nailed this guy. He's trouble. You can't win, unless you tell him that there will be no remakes since the Rx is expired.

I would quiz him thus:
    "did you talk with the doctor about that fact that you were happy with your vision with your old specs?"
    "What do you not like about the new prescription?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this guy OCD or something? Who in the world thinks, "the Rx that gave me 20/20 that I viewed the reading chart through for 30 seconds is not the prescription I want. I prefer my other Rx." Does he even know what the difference is?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does he have add power? I have noticed a lot of presbyopes will complain about a new rx that offers sharper reading area because they got used to looking at their computer thru the reading portion, and now they can't with new rx. Does that make sense? My head is all clogged. Does he even have glasses with the new rx? I should just get back in bed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ok

Here in Texas about four years ago I and the opticians I work with were told that it is illegal to neutralize a pair of glasses and that and rx can only be filled within the year it was wriiten. We were told that it was a new law passed by congress. I'm not reading this here from other states, so 1. it can't be a law passed by congress, can someone in texas hoan in and clarify any of this for me?? Happy Lady, do you know anything about any of this??.

Thanks Ginster

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well Texas always did think they were an independant country. But seriously, there is no national law about lens neutralization, and normally not about the practice of our professions. With 2 exceptions that I can think of...
    1. The FTC regulation that a spectacle Rx must be given to the patient at the end of a refraction without them asking for it.

2. That contact lenses can be sold by people other than prescribers and dispensers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Well Texas always did think they were an independant country. But seriously, there is no national law about lens neutralization, and normally not about the practice of our professions. With 2 exceptions that I can think of...
    1. The FTC regulation that a spectacle Rx must be given to the patient at the end of a refraction without them asking for it.

2. That contact lenses can be sold by people other than prescribers and dispensers.
    Are you sure about #2?? because in Texas you cannot sell contacts if you are NOT a prescriber and/or a dispenser. As For #1. you are correct.

I would stil like to hear someone from Texas comment. No offense, but we do consider ourselves a part of he U.S.A. and we are Not independant from anyone else. I'm origionally from Miami Fla.

Howdy Y'all, Ginny

OptiBoard Professional Leighlee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Interesting...

Most states have a vision-screening (pass/fail) threshold of 20/40.
    Most states have a vision-screening frequency of 8 years.
    Alot of things can happen to the fluidity of focus in 8 years

Q: How do we logically reconcile Rx expiration dates of 2 years, and DMV *expirations* of 8 years? Is either "correct"?

Opinions?

Barry
    Do RX's typically change that much? I understand that there are health issues and injuries that can cause drastic changes, but in healthy people, Doesn't the VA remind relatively the same, with only small gradual changes? Over 8 years that could be a big difference but don't most people have only minor changes in a year?
    Last edited by Leighlee; 09-11-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    I would stil like to hear someone from Texas comment. No offense, but we do consider ourselves a part of he U.S.A. and we are Not independant from anyone else. I'm origionally from Miami Fla.

Howdy Y'all, Ginny

We can duplicate to our hearts content here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Opticians’Registry Act establishes a voluntary registration and certification
    program for “dispensing opticians,” i.e., people who provide or offer to provide spectacle
    or contact lens dispensing services or products to the public. See V.T.C.S. a#. 4551-1,
    3 3(6) (defining “dispensing optician” or “ophthalmic dispenser”). “Spectacle dispensing”
    is defined as “the design, verification, fitting, adjustment, sale, and delivery to the
    consumer of fabricated and finished spectacle lenses, frames, or other ophthalmic devices,
    other than contact lenses, prescriied by and dispensed in accordance with a prescription
    6om a licensed physician or optometrist.”
    Id.
    $3(7). The term includes the verification
    of the quality of finished lenses and the adjustment, repair, replacement, reproduction, or
    duplication of previously prepared spectacle lenses, frames, or other specially fabricated
    optical devices, other than contact lenses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I offered to copy RX from glasses.....surprize, surprize......."I don't want to do it, just refund me my money"
    -egh!
    Methinks - The doctor he wentto gave him a better deal and he wants to get them there.......it's a really low thing to do, but since a client came back after we recommeded her to a doc......says this od tried to sell her, said MY store was overpriced.......when I asked what he offered her.......a whooping $30 :drop:
    Luckily it was an amazing and honest client that came back and told us not to recommend people there anymore, really taints buisness when you bite thehand that feeds you..................
    History Reapeats Itself

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    JIC......$30 less than what I had priced her...................
    :p
    History Reapeats Itself

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Never mind looks like optical24/7 has got it.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos83eye View Post
    I offered to copy RX from glasses.....surprize, surprize......."I don't want to do it, just refund me my money"
    -egh!
    Methinks - The doctor he wentto gave him a better deal and he wants to get them there.......it's a really low thing to do, but since a client came back after we recommeded her to a doc......says this od tried to sell her, said MY store was overpriced.......when I asked what he offered her.......a whooping $30 :drop:
    Luckily it was an amazing and honest client that came back and told us not to recommend people there anymore, really taints buisness when you bite thehand that feeds you..................
    So does this mean that you would be less likely to send out another patient to have the exam done rather than duplicate the Rx next time?

http://www.aoa.org/x4878.xml
    Code of Ethics

It shall be the ideal, resolve, and duty of all optometrists:
    TO KEEP their patients' eye, vision, and general health paramount at all times;
    TO RESPECT the rights and dignity of patients regarding their health care decisions;
    TO ADVISE their patients whenever consultation with, or referral to another optometrist or other health professional is appropriate;
    TO ENSURE confidentiality and privacy of patients' protected health and other personal information;
    TO STRIVE to ensure that all persons have access to eye, vision, and general health care;
    TO ADVANCE their professional knowledge and proficiency to maintain and expand competence to benefit their patients;
    TO MAINTAIN their practices in accordance with professional health care standards;
    TO PROMOTE ethical and cordial relationships with all members of the health care community;
    TO RECOGNIZE their obligation to protect the health and welfare of society; and
    TO CONDUCT themselves as exemplary citizens and professionals with honesty, integrity, fairness, kindness and compassion
    http://www.aoa.org/x4881.xml
    The Optometric Oath

With full deliberation I freely and solemnly pledge that: I will practice the art and science of optometry faithfully and conscientiously, and to the fullest scope of my competence. I will uphold and honorably promote by example and action the highest standards, ethics and ideals of my chosen profession and the honor of the degree, Doctor of Optometry, which has been granted me.
    I will provide professional care for those who seek my services, with concern, with compassion and with due regard for their human rights and dignity.
    I will place the treatment of those who seek my care above personal gain and strive to see that none shall lack for proper care.
    I will hold as privileged and inviolable all information entrusted to me in confidence by my patients.
    I will advise my patients fully and honestly of all which may serve to restore, maintain or enhance their vision and general health.
    I will strive continuously to broaden my knowledge and skills so that my patients may benefit from all new and efficacious means to enhance the care of human vision.
    I will share information cordially and unselfishly with my fellow optometrists and other professionals for the benefit of patients and the advancement of human knowledge and welfare. I will do my utmost to serve my community, my country and humankind as a citizen as well as an optometrist.
    I hereby commit myself to be steadfast in the performance of this my solemn oath and obligation.
    I would send him a letter certified mail that you will no longer be refering patients to his office and that he is in violation of his ethical duties. The forward a copy to your state association and one to the AOA. Don't let him/her tarnish the other docs. If you send me your e-mail I will even paypal you the postage.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 09-11-2008 at 04:14 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Don't worry Harry................

I ALWAYS push for an eye exam......i push for Scotch Guard, Digital Lenses so I tell my clients.......

I'll be as dead on with your rx as I can, but if your glasses are off due to a faulty optician or scewing frow daily wear...your glasses will give you the wrong rx in digital.....and it will be CLEARLY off.....

Ima send a letter to AOA and the OD that tried to "bench align" me......

I hope no other opticians lose customers to this guy..........
    History Reapeats Itself

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Are you sure about #2?? because in Texas you cannot sell contacts if you are NOT a prescriber and/or a dispenser. As For #1. you are correct.

Howdy Y'all, Ginny
    I was kidding about the Texas thing. I made a joke.

As far as #2, I am referring to the mail and internet ordering of CLs. While these companies technically must have a licensed person on the premesis, that person is not directly involved in filling the orders.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I was kidding about the Texas thing. I made a joke.

As far as #2, I am referring to the mail and internet ordering of CLs. While these companies technically must have a licensed person on the premesis, that person is not directly involved in filling the orders.

I would venture to say that prescribing doctors have little to do with the daily ordering, verifying, and delivery of cl's. Staff usually takes on this job.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hear so many differing statements on this subject that it's very difficult to sort out fact from opinion. What exactly is the standard for filling prescriptions? Apparently it varies from state to state? Why do we refer to it as a prescription if it's really just a recommendation and we can make glasses based on anything we want? Why do RXs have an expiration date if they don't actually expire?

We treat glasses and CL prescriptions like we would an RX for meds. When you get an exam, that RX is yours to fill at the place of your choosing, just as if you were leaving your GP with a scrip for amoxicillin or Prozac. If you choose to have us fill it for you, you'll get exactly what the doctor prescribed (within reason, obviously - we don't force you to have a bifocal if you only want distance, for example), and you get it within the dates the doc set as the expiration. If you're expired we will not make you new glasses, unless your doctor gives us permission. We will not switch you to a different power unless your doc gives us permission. We will not switch brands on your CL unless your doc gives us permission. Are you seeing a pattern here? :D We will not fill an RX without seeing a valid, written copy, unless we speak with your doctor's office and they verify that you're within dates and what the powers are.

After all the discussion here, I am not clear on whether we are stringently following the law, or if it's more a matter of CYA. It seems like what we do is in the best interests of the patient, but I don't want to tell people something is the law if it's not.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Refund? What's that???

Quote Originally Posted by carlos83eye View Post
    I offered to copy RX from glasses.....surprise, surprise......."I don't want to do it, just refund me my money"
    -egh!
    Methinks - The doctor he went to gave him a better deal and he wants to get them there.......it's a really low thing to do, but since a client came back after we recommended her to a doc......says this od tried to sell her, said MY store was overpriced.......when I asked what he offered her.......a whooping $30 :drop:
    Luckily it was an amazing and honest client that came back and told us not to recommend people there anymore, really taints business when you bite the hand that feeds you..................
    Now this should become your refund policy!:)---pg. 2 post #29- http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30847

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I would venture to say that prescribing doctors have little to do with the daily ordering, verifying, and delivery of cl's. Staff usually takes on this job.
    I think I am not making myself clear...

When I refer to mail order and internet sales, I mean patients ordering in this manner, not practitioners.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Now this should become your refund policy!:)---pg. 2 post #29- http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30847
    Will implement immediately :angry:

:D
    History Reapeats Itself

Thread Information