Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had 4 calls for Palin eyewear today...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patient came in and showed me her glasses she said looked like Palin's. She was so excited and since she has a temper like a bull seeing red, I didn't have the heart to tell her they look NOTHING like her glasses. I hope there aren't people in the industry telling patients the glasses look like Palin's just so they can make a sale.
    Last edited by wolfman; 09-11-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: wording

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Hey Barry! Your name, this thread and OptiBoard were featured on a CNN segment today:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31485
    Thanks, Steve, for the mention and your wonderful board!

Barry

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Thanks, Steve, for the mention and your wonderful board!

Barry
    Seriously! That was a total trip! There are so many people I know in the industry that have never heard of this place. I'm fastening my seatbelt.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I think they look good without the AR, what's with all these AR fanatics. She's from Alaska, totes guns and wears glasses without a sissy coat on them.
    Any hunter worth his powder is aware of the value of AR in the field. No sense spooking the game with an errant reflection. It's akin to talking to fishermen about polarization.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I had one today

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    OK, so really now! How many of you have actually had customers asking for her frames.

It happened to me today. She said that is what she had in mind b/4 sarah palin and she wants it now post cat surg.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Hey Barry, I just saw your picture on CNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were doing a piece on Palin and her specs and low and behold...there you were. You are now a celebrity!! They showd your post about getting 4 calls in one day about Palin's frames. Cool.
    "Make the most of yourself.....for that is all there is of you" - Emerson

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ditto here too Barry! Santini 08...Way cool for all of us to get so much publicity. However they did show us picking on her optician about the AR issue...

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fendi 703M

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Using Harry's shape, I made a pattern for the modified shape. Anyone that wants one, let me know and I'll send you one.
    I think this is the pattern they used. The frame has a similar look also, just not the curved end piece and flat temples. the Kawasaki is actually cheaper.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh boy.. even here.. they are doing stories about Palin's eyewear

http://www.theindychannel.com/entert...27/detail.html

Of course... it was nice to see our mshimp promoting alternatives!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just stopped by to say Hi!

Just stopped by to say Hi..........and to be able to tell my grandchildren that I participated in a famous thread! harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frames

I,m not so sure why most people are suprised that Palins eyewear caused a stir. it has happened in the past many times before, the most famous i suppose was sally jesse when she came out one morning wearing those lipstick red glasses. Day before that women would almost throw them in your face, i,m not wearing those ***** looking frames, day after it seemed like every women in america discovered red frames. Oh i always wanted one of those and was thinking about buying one, sure you was, just human nature to want to emulate famous people, and we do it with more then just glasses.

Bad address email on file Kornika's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

I wear Palin glasses!

Well ... not the ones that everyone is abuzz about (the Kawasaki's), though my OMD wears some that are similar.

However, I have several pairs, one of which that are like hers and one of my patient's commented to me, "I like your glasses, they look like that Palin woman's."
    Last edited by Kornika; 09-14-2008 at 03:31 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know for the last 2 years our most popular Try-Change (drill mounts) shape is almost just like the "Palin" box. Except that the B is 27mm instead of 37mm. It is a nice shape on lots of men and women.

I make my Palin pattern from the Allison shape FR008. It was almost just like it except a bit more rounded. I just flattened out the top and bottom. Looks great in a 52 eye instead of a 54.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Man I wish I was carrying the frames she has because I could've made a lot of easy sales by now. Don't see a point in trying to stock them now because everyone will get over it real quick.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

enough to make me want to scream!!

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    OK, so really now! How many of you have actually had customers asking for her frames. I think all the hype is among the ECP. No wonder the frames are sold out. Are they just going to sit on your shelves cuz no one is going to look good in them? I have a Silhouette very similar to the Kawasaki, that I've yet to find a face for!
    Every day since she was named McCains running mate I have had many ladies calling me on the phone and stopping by to inquire as to when I was going to get that frame in. It's to a point that it's like a bad joke. I agree everything is not for everybody, it seems that these women feel they will all of a sudden take on her image. and in most cases they never will..I truly hope that America's eyeglass customers are concentrating on the issues and not the glasses.
    oops I'm rambling too.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    One of my accounts carries the frame and says that it is truly flying out the door. He sold 3 yesterday when I stopped by and showed me 3 more trays from the day before!

I guess italee has gone into overdrive to fill the orders according to him.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had several ladies come in looking for "Palin's" glasses. We don't have that particular brand, but we do have a frame that is similar. I have already sold it twice.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Designer grateful to Palin for making his glasses famous

By Yuri Kageyama, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

2008-09-17 09:30:44

TOKYO — Kazuo Kawasaki, the Japanese designer of Sarah Palin’s glasses, is grateful to the Republican vice-presidential candidate for making his product famous, but says there is also a lot he likes about Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama.
    “She is very good-looking. She would look good in any glasses,” Kawasaki said Wednesday of Palin at a Tokyo store operated by Masunaga Optical Manufacturing Co., which makes the clear-rim MP-704.
    The glasses, made of super-light and non-allergenic metal called titanium, have become all the rage since the 44-year-old Alaskan governor emerged on the U.S. national political scene as John McCain’s surprise choice for running mate.
    The company, based in Fukui Prefecture, central Japan, usually makes 12,000 MP-704 glasses in an 18-month period.
    Thanks to Palin, it has already received 9,000 global orders, mostly from the United States, in the last 10 days, says Masunaga store chief Akira Nagayama.
    According to Nagayama, the glasses don’t need any screws and instead use a thin metal strip similar to a paper clip to attach the lens to the frame, offering a clearer view for the wearer.
    Masunaga, which racks up US$19 million in annual sales, including glasses from other designers, sells the MP-704 in the United States through Italee Optics Inc., a Los Angeles distributor. The glasses, which cost about $320 in Japan, go for around $400 in U.S.
    Kawasaki, 59, an engineering professor at Osaka University, also designs arty syringes, artificial hearts, kitchen sponges and wheelchairs — including his own that he uses after a traffic accident 30 years ago.
    He believes his glasses are becoming a hit because people appreciate how scientifically and ergonomically they are designed so wearers barely feel their presence.
    Kawasaki said he shares what he sees as some common political sentiments with Palin.
    “I am quite right-wing,” said Kawasaki, a long-haired soft-spoken man proudly wearing the updated version of the MP-704, the MP-705. “I am a nationalist in the sense I believe in the Japanese esthetic.”
    But he also can’t help feeling an affinity with Obama.
    Fukui happens to have a city called Obama. Some of his former students have started a community movement supporting Obama, although none of them can vote in the Nov. 4 U.S. election.
    An award-winning designer who has contributed to the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Kawasaki has seen his glasses on celebrities before, including former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and actress Whoopi Goldberg.
    But he has never got quite the stunning reception as he has had this time around with Palin.
    “I want to say, ‘Thank you,’ to Ms. Palin,” he said with a smile. “I want people to realize how fantastic Made in Japan technology can be.”
    Kawasaki, who believes design offers solutions to social problems, not just trendy appearances, is careful to add he isn’t taking sides in the presidential race.
    “Whether it becomes Mr. Obama or Mr. McCain, I want to ask him to build peace in the international order,” he said.

http://money.canoe.ca/News/Other/200...791776-ap.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't had any calls for the frame (we don't carry kawasakis) but we have had atleast 50% of the folks that have come in this week ask if we have had anybody asking for the frame. Busybodies of some sort?? :)

The thing that gets me is that she is seen in atleast 4 other styles (as said earler).

I don't watch much TV-- I have not seen her in the Kawasaki rectangle-- BIG thanks to they that posted the rough patttern for it-- atleast I know which way to go when /if someone does ask for that shape! :cheers:

It seems kinda lame that folks are more focused on her glasses than her skills, experiences, attributes, etc., but then it is good for business! :D
    -TallPeter

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Sarah Palin Wears also ete frames with feathers

If Sarah was wearing a Silhouette no one would have noticed. Now that she is wearing a frame with Style she has created quite a frenzy, which is what the optical industry needed. Vision Monday had a great story on Sarah Palin and her eyewear wardrobe and how important it is to carry the Sarah Palin Look.
    Here is the Vision Monday link
    http://www.visionmonday.com/ViewCont...0/Default.aspx

Apparently she wears ete from the Optylux Group in California (www.optylux.com). The ete frames have real feathers inlaid in the frames. Also they have 2 frames the Sarah wears also from ete that is made from plexiglass with etched flowers in the plexi glass, pretty cool. The Frame also comes with a matching bracelet and ring.
    Optylux also sells the Flair collection that has the most amazing rimless collection with incredible color and detail. It blows away the kawasaki which is pretty basic.

I asked some of my friends and they have put Flair and ete in and mentioned that Sarah wears the frame to their patients and it has helped them sale some of them.
    Check it out!:idea:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not really the frame that has style, it's Sarah. And demand for everything she wears will continue at least until after the election, longer if her side wins.
    Ever hear of anyone interested in someting Hillary was wearing?
    Class is class.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    If Sarah was wearing a Silhouette no one would have noticed. Now that she is wearing a frame with Style she has created quite a frenzy, which is what the optical industry needed. Vision Monday had a great story on Sarah Palin and her eyewear wardrobe and how important it is to carry the Sarah Palin Look.

Apparently she wears ete from the Optylux Group in California (www.optylux.com). The ete frames have real feathers inlaid in the frames. Also they have 2 frames the Sarah wears also from ete that is made from plexiglass with etched flowers in the plexi glass, pretty cool. The Frame also comes with a matching bracelet and ring.
    Optylux also sells the Flair collection that has the most amazing rimless collection with incredible color and detail. It blows away the kawasaki which is pretty basic.

I asked some of my friends and they have put Flair and ete in and mentioned that Sarah wears the frame to their patients and it has helped them sale some of them.
    Who do you work for? Your screen name is also an Optylux brand.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post

I have some Aspex frames with real feathers inlaid in the frames. And in an old box I have a Fashion 8 by Safilo with real Fine Italian Lace laminated withing the frame. Remember those?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tura once had plastic frames with all sorts of fabric inlaid in the frame.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Viva had it with its one line. Etro line

Thread Information