Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had 4 calls for Palin eyewear today...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Had 4 calls for Palin eyewear today...

One was for plano. One was for Rx.
    Alot of others asked about them.
    One even remarked "Palinize me!"
    (TRUE!)

Watching what Sarah Palin's sudden appearance on the scene has done to set the optical field all a-twitter(?), I have been thinkin'....

The current cover photo for Time magazine features quite a close-up of Palin, and her "custom"-shaped, Kawasaki rimless eyewear. I've been querying a number of my clients with: "What do you think is Sarah Palin's most significant qualification for office?" Of course, they immediately think I'm asking from a political viewpoint. As they stutter to answer, I slap down the Time cover and exclaim "She's got the best eyewear of anyone running for office!" They laugh. I tell them the optical-internet boards are all buzzed about her eyewear wardrobe (6 prs?). They laugh!

But then I'm thinkin'...What so special about Sarah's eyewear?
    Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. The phone calls we optical retailers have been getting asking to "get the same eyewear as Sarah" indicates how insecure the public really is about eyewear, and how bad they are about selecting pairs that they love.
    2. The Kawasaki, notwithstanding its unusual and uncommon, geometric shape, is, I feel, really nothing special. This thought, along with my reading this week's NY Times Fashion supplement, prompted me to think about the essential difference between shoes, watches (both storied within the magazine) and eyewear (or sunwear):
    Eyewear needs a face to come alive,
    to be special.
    Eyewear needs context to become truly special!
    3. So - It's really not about, as Lencrafters (and the rest of our industry) trumpets, "Finding the perfect frame for every face". The message we should really be saying/sending is: "Finding the perfect face for every frame".

Within this approach, the idea of developing an eyewear wardrobe is much more self-evident and intuitive, and certainly removes the drama associated with finding the one "perfect" pair, which is a task none of us, inclusing the public, are really up to.

Ramblings...sorry!

Barry

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ramble on good buddy. Ramble on!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not had one person even mention her glasses.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I have not had one person even mention her glasses.
    Neither have I, just on this board and even here not many knew who made the frame.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    One was for plano. One was for Rx.
    Alot of others asked about them.
    One even remarked "Palinize me!"
    (TRUE!)

Watching what Sarah Palin's sudden appearance on the scene has done to set the optical field all a-twitter(?), I have been thinkin'....

The current cover photo for Time magazine features quite a close-up of Palin, and her "custom"-shaped, Kawasaki rimless eyewear. I've been querying a number of my clients with: "What do you think is Sarah Palin's most significant qualification for office?" Of course, they immediately think I'm asking from a political viewpoint. As they stutter to answer, I slap down the Time cover and exclaim "She's got the best eyewear of anyone running for office!" They laugh. I tell them the optical-internet boards are all buzzed about her eyewear wardrobe (6 prs?). They laugh!

But then I'm thinkin'...What so special about Sarah's eyewear?
    Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. The phone calls we optical retailers have been getting asking to "get the same eyewear as Sarah" indicates how insecure the public really is about eyewear, and how bad they are about selecting pairs that they love.
    2. The Kawasaki, notwithstanding its unusual and uncommon, geometric shape, is, I feel, really nothing special. This thought, along with my reading this week's NY Times Fashion supplement, prompted me to think about the essential difference between shoes, watches (both storied within the magazine) and eyewear (or sunwear):
    Eyewear needs a face to come alive,
    to be special.
    Eyewear needs context to become truly special!
    3. So - It's really not about, as Lencrafters (and the rest of our industry) trumpets, "Finding the perfect frame for every face". The message we should really be saying/sending is: "Finding the perfect face for every frame".

Within this approach, the idea of developing an eyewear wardrobe is much more self-evident and intuitive, and certainly removes the drama associated with finding the one "perfect" pair, which is a task none of us, inclusing the public, are really up to.

Ramblings...sorry!

Barry
    Like I said in another thread, they frames do not look good on her.

But it is something energizing our industry, so I will take it.

This is why I think we should fund a campaign to get more in the media wearing hawt glasses.

Occupation
    Here's how I made the pattern when I did find out it could be a hot thing:

1. Found and image of her wearing the glasses and facing forward as straight as possible into the camera.
    2. Croped photo and viewed it large 600% size.
    3. Outlined her lenses with a trace, curved line, or magic wand tool. (good thing she didn't have AR those lens edges would have been a pain to find)
    4. Erased the outer edge of the image with eraser tool.
    5. Created another layer and filled the lens area with black.
    6. Used the Blur tool to soften the edges.
    7. Used the measuring tool to measure the pictures A size in mm.
    8. Scaled the image up to make the A size a 55mm, although this could be customized to your patients face demensions.
    9. Printed the image out onto heavy card stock.
    10. Traced heavy card stock into innovations and saved for future "Palinizing".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails palieyewear.jpg   pattern.bmp   pattern2.bmp   pattern2-5.jpg   pattern3.bmp  

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Brilliant!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, so really now! How many of you have actually had customers asking for her frames. I think all the hype is among the ECP. No wonder the frames are sold out. Are they just going to sit on your shelves cuz no one is going to look good in them? I have a Silhouette very similar to the Kawasaki, that I've yet to find a face for!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Here's how I made the pattern when I did find out it could be a hot thing:

1. Found and image of her wearing the glasses and facing forward as straight as possible into the camera.
    2. Croped photo and viewed it large 600% size.
    3. Outlined her lenses with a trace, curved line, or magic wand tool. (good thing she didn't have AR those lens edges would have been a pain to find)
    4. Erased the outer edge of the image with eraser tool.
    5. Created another layer and filled the lens area with black.
    6. Used the Blur tool to soften the edges.
    7. Used the measuring tool to measure the pictures A size in mm.
    8. Scaled the image up to make the A size a 55mm, although this could be customized to your patients face demensions.
    9. Printed the image out onto heavy card stock.
    10. Traced heavy card stock into innovations and saved for future "Palinizing".

Any chance you might scan a copy into a file and post it on the members forum
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

I agree with this 100%...Everyday, I am amazed at how many women, (some men, but mostly women), come to me and show me a photo of a celeb and say, 'that's the frame I want, but I know I won't look as good in it as they do!' That comment always makes me feel a little sad, because I see a lot of beauty in the faces and personalities that walk in the door, and my hope is that their experience in my shop is one that makes them walk away feeling like they can conquer the world! :D (the way I did after reading Super Powered Dispensing! thank you Barry!) :D

I also see a lot of compromises on frame choices...they'll say, 'oh, I love this frame, but I don't think I could wear this all the time, it's too ______ (colorful, trendy, glitzy, etc.)', or ..'my_______ (wife, husband, girlfriend, sister, boyfriend, etc.) might not like it.'...:finger:

The point I'm trying to make is that many people are insecure with eyewear that goes against what they think is the norm, even if they look great...they wonder what the neighbors will think...I think that Palin has put it out there for all to see, she's got multiple pairs and wears them well....

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had someone ask about them this weekend, he didn't want to buy them,he asked me if we had them because he heard on the news that they are the biggest thing right now.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a call today, first thing the patient asked me is "Do you follow politics?" not wanting to get into a debate like Spexvet and I frequently do I responded that I never discuss politics, religion, or college football with patients. Then the patient asked about Mrs. Palin's glasses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had people comment on them, but not really ask for them.

What makes them unique is not the shape or the brand, it's that she dares to actually wear them!

Nixon didn't
    Ford didn't
    Carter didn't
    Old Bush didn't
    Clinton wore/wears crappy readers
    New Bush didn't

And she not putting eyewear in the same light that Henry Kissinger did!:hammer:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old bush sometimes wore a sliver semi-rimless luxottica frame. When he was prez there was a pic in a trade rag with him wearing it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    Old bush sometimes wore a sliver semi-rimless luxottica frame. When he was prez there was a pic in a trade rag with him wearing it.

Again, most of the presidents that did, would sneak them out of their jackets, use them, and put them away again...like they were embarassed to be seen wearing them.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually I think almost all presidents wore glasses but very very few, like Teddy Rosevelt , Woodrow Wilson , Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman had the courage to be photographed in them.

Chip

Bad address email on file opticalwoman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

me too

:cheers:
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    OK, so really now! How many of you have actually had customers asking for her frames. I think all the hype is among the ECP. No wonder the frames are sold out. Are they just going to sit on your shelves cuz no one is going to look good in them? I have a Silhouette very similar to the Kawasaki, that I've yet to find a face for!

One of the Jhane Barnes Intergals works just as well, same thick temple on the side, and we can play around with the lens shape. I've shown it twice and sold it both times. I just don't get all the hopla. I also have a gorgeous Christian Dior Drill Mount that has stones on the temples and worked much better for the lady looking at it versus Sarah Palin's.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Actually I think almost all presidents wore glasses but very very few, like Teddy Rosevelt , Woodrow Wilson , Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman had the courage to be photographed in them.

Chip
    Chip,

I'm not talking about ones you grew up with! I'm talking about the ones that had an effect on today's fashions!

How many recent presidents wore/wear glasses full-time? Hillary doesn't, Laura Bush doesn't; heck, even Barbara Bush (I think she really looks like George Washington) doesn't, and she's close to 200 yrs. old!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had one call today, sold "some thing as close a possible" as I don't have a dealershop for Kawasaki.
    Most of the women I have had in my office since here speech at the RNC have at least discussed or asked about her glasses.
    Suspect that if I had Kawa's and put a large sign in the window "Sarah Paylin Glasses!" I would at least double the sales in my very small shop.

Cchip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had two already asking for her glasses. Best I can do is a custom Silhouette. One today even said "You should get a pair and wear your hair up you would look just like her!" I have heard that more than once since last week No thanks, waiting for the new Gucci's. But hey, any advertising for our industry is good and she does look great in glasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip
    Since they were all older than 44, they all needed specs. Unless they were an uncorrected myope, and in that case, they needed specs.

I guess Clinton doesn't wear contacts, since he pulls out the readers.
    Either Bush doesn't wear contacts or more likely he doesn't need to read anything. He knows it all already and no amount of data will change that, so why read?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had 3 women come in asking for her frames today! After one asked if I knew what glasses she was wearing (we don't carry them) she used the opportunity to then lecture me on why I should vote for Palin. ARRGH!
    :drop:

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

This is real

SARAH PALIN must be the fastest name gain since Neal Armstrong; from no name recognition to 90% name recognition in less than 7 days. I think it was over 35 million people seeing her in those glasses.

They are unique enough to get noticed. Yes woman want to wear their hair like hers, buy glasses like hers etc.

It doesn't take a big percentage of viewers who are interested in purchasing to make this a best selling frame. Its on par with Michael Jordan years ago wearing the Oakley cast metal frame. He put it on the map.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hair dressers go through the same things. I remember the woman that did my hair used to complain that everyone that came in wanted Rachel's hair from Friends. Even if they didn't have the hair or the facial shape to pull it off.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by awtech View Post
    sarah palin must be the fastest name gain since neal armstrong; from no name recognition to 90% name recognition in less than 7 days. I think it was over 35 million people seeing her in those glasses.

They are unique enough to get noticed. Yes woman want to wear their hair like hers, buy glasses like hers etc.

It doesn't take a big percentage of viewers who are interested in purchasing to make this a best selling frame. Its on par with michael jordan years ago wearing the oakley cast metal frame. He put it on the map.
    That my friend is why she was chosen!

Thread Information