Thread: Freeform choices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Freeform choices

Barry's got me thinking. I have been contemplating diving into the freeform progressive lenses. I've been knocking it around for over a year. But my criteria are tough. For example, I will only offer freeform to my patients if transitions is available because often transitions is the last thing mentioned and I don't want to have to tell them "sorry, not available".
    So I would like the massive brainpower of the board to help - If you would be so kind.

Here are my criteria:
    1. as mentioned, must be available in Transitions
    2. must be able to fit as low as 15mm (I'm not going to try a 13mm fit, even if it's possible)
    2. must be available in poly, Trivex, 1.60 and at least one of the high-index materials from 1.66 to 1.74. CR-39 availability is of no value to me.
    3. must be a design that someone has had good luck with
    4. must have turn-around time (w/AR) of one-week or less
    5. THis is the most important: I must be able to turn a profit at an $80 add-on charge for the "Freeform" processed lens. And I get my traditionally surfaced lenses pretty inexpensively.

Is there anything even out there? Maybe I need 2 go-to lenses for these criteria. My short list includes Accolade freedom (no trivex:( and no personal experience), Definity, Unique, Autograph II (no experience, is cost an issue?), Hoya iD lifestyle (too expensive??), Seiko/pentax internal (Succeed? Superceed? I don't even know the proper name). I noticed Craig loves the Indo product, but I can't find a lab that even offers it.

I love the combined knowledge and experience of the board, so you are my go-to guys and gals for this type experimental data.

Since this is public, you can PM me with specifics on pricing or any negative comments.

Thanks in advance!!
    Marc

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the AutoII fits the bill. The Unique may fit most of it. The Seiko will fit most as well.

I suggest you look into:

US Optical-They provide the AutoII, Unique and Seiko. Fast turn times, in house AR.
    www.usoptical.com
    1-800-445-2773

Or

Pech Optical-They offer the above as well

www.pechoptical.com

1-800-831-2352

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Rochester Optical is where I get the Autograph II. I'll get contact info up when I can.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shamir got it right. The Auto 2 is available in all the materials and add ons we use. I've now dispensed a few with great success.

My one complaint is that the laser etchings are very noticeable especially if it's got an AR. It's so pronounced that I make a point of telling patients they will probable see it if held "at the right angle" but it has to be there, it's not a defect or scratch and to ignore it.

I'm thinking of getting a sample but so far no patient has balked upon seeing them.

One patient with a short corridor said the near was significantly larger than the Brevity I fit her previously.

9/15/2008 More examples--
    1st time progressive Rx R-8.50sph. L-8.00sph. add +1.50 poly AR
    Freeform rx R-8.12 -0.38 x66 L-7.64 -0.35x114 add R+1.12 L+1.14
    Pts comment "no problem"

Post IOL previous Multigressiv 1.6 R -6.00 Left -6.25 -2.50 x10 add+2.25
    New rx -2.75 -2.25 x170 L -5.75 -1.75 10 add +2.50 B=26 Auto 2 Variable 16.5 high "feels good"

mild myope Definity poly to Auto 2 Variable poly "Oh yeah- nice- ghosting gone"
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-15-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: edit1.0...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Unc-

Incoming PM concerning engravings coming at ya!

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

freeform

Hi Patsy, welcome!!!
    As stated on another post I am affiliated with Luzerne Optical Laboratories, they are an authorized laboratory for all of the lenses mentioned in your post respones as well as having in-house AR for both Essilor Crizal coatings and Zeiss Carat coatings amongst others.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had many sucess stories with the Auto 11. My husband says it is the best ever!!!!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Rochester Optical is where I get the Autograph II. I'll get contact info up when I can.

Contact Crickett13 on OB. Matt Ballester is the manager for Rochester Optical that makes the Autograph II and they do have a coating lab on-site.

Contact info is here http://www.optiboard.com/forums/member.php?u=5563

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have tried the Accolade Freedom and Lifestyle iD lenses. The iD series seems to have more customization and the patient definitely sees the benefit of the digital lens. As you said though, they aren't cheap. Our doctor wore iD's, got a free pair of Acc freedom, then went back to another pair of iD's.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    We have tried the Accolade Freedom and Lifestyle iD lenses. The iD series seems to have more customization and the patient definitely sees the benefit of the digital lens. As you said though, they aren't cheap. Our doctor wore iD's, got a free pair of Acc freedom, then went back to another pair of iD's.
    Thanks for the input. I'm not sure the Lifestyle iD meets my criteria for turning a profit at an $80 upgrade. But I'm sure its very good. An optician on our staff has an original iD and it's her favorite. But no wow. But she doesn't have a special Rx. But she is picky.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I *LOVE* my Autograph II. However I will admit it is my one and only pal. Though this by far has been the most comfortable lens I have EVER worn.

While if I order customized lenses from my traditional labs, I could not make much extra from them.. using a "Digital" lab such as Rochester or a few others who are making freeform their niche, the pricing is quite a bit better.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Indo

I use Digital Eye Lab in Hawthorne, NY for Indo products. The lens apparently starts out as a single vision blank and with freeform technology, the lens design and Rx is translated to the back side of the lens. The lab also has a high grade proprietary AR, Claris HD.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    You should consider Digital Eye Lab (www.digitaleyelab.com), a division of Optical Distributor Group. 100% dedicated free form lab. Shamir, Seiko, and Indo. In house AR and edging. 48 hour turn time!

Sorry, i sound a little bias!

By the way, this is a great forum!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Post optotech softwae

Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Barry's got me thinking. I have been contemplating diving into the freeform progressive lenses. I've been knocking it around for over a year. But my criteria are tough. For example, I will only offer freeform to my patients if transitions is available because often transitions is the last thing mentioned and I don't want to have to tell them "sorry, not available".
    So I would like the massive brainpower of the board to help - If you would be so kind.

Here are my criteria:
    2. must be able to fit as low as 15mm (I'm not going to try a 13mm fit, even if it's possible)
    2. must be available in poly, Trivex, 1.60 and at least one of the high-index materials from 1.66 to 1.74. CR-39 availability is of no value to me.
    5. THis is the most important: I must be able to turn a profit at an $80 add-on charge for the "Freeform" processed lens. And I get my traditionally surfaced lenses pretty inexpensively.

Is there anything even out there? Maybe I need 2 go-to lenses for these criteria. My short list includes Accolade freedom (no trivex:( and no personal experience), Definity, Unique, Autograph II (no experience, is cost an issue?), Hoya iD lifestyle (too expensive??), Seiko/pentax internal (Succeed? Superceed? I don't even know the proper name). I noticed Craig loves the Indo product, but I can't find a lab that even offers it.

I love the combined knowledge and experience of the board, so you are my go-to guys and gals for this type experimental data.

Since this is public, you can PM me with specifics on pricing or any negative comments.

Thanks in advance!!
    Marc
    we are using optotech disigne germany for One year and we are running very well we sell to thye hole TUNISIA and no return lens or in adaptation.
    the OPTOTECH machine can make the TRIVEX, transition what ever you want..........
    www.optygros.com

Hamza Mahmoud

Mail : mahmoud.hamza@optylab.com
    Web : www.optylab.com

OptiBoard Apprentice csiopticians's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Here are my criteria:

Thanks in advance!!
    Marc

Calligraphy have all the materials, see www.profitoptix.com
    Last edited by csiopticians; 10-17-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: mistypo
    csiopticians@yahoo.com
    Salus Aegroti Suprema Lex Est

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by csiopticians View Post
    Calligraphy have all the materials, see www.profitoptix.com
    No poly (not a huge issue)
    No Trivex (that's a bigger issue)
    No 1.60 Trans. (That's a small issue too)
    Uncut only
    Price wasn't what I thought would be competitive
    No experience with the AR

Anyone want to add anything

Thanks for your response, Dr.

OptiBoard Apprentice csiopticians's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    No poly (not a huge issue)
    No Trivex (that's a bigger issue)
    No 1.60 Trans. (That's a small issue too)
    Uncut only
    Price wasn't what I thought would be competitive
    No experience with the AR

Anyone want to add anything

Thanks for your response, Dr.
    See www.iltoptics.com

They have
    Calligraphy R3 (Trivex)
    Calligraphy 1.6 Transitions
    Bravo 1.6 Transitions
    csiopticians@yahoo.com
    Salus Aegroti Suprema Lex Est

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Digital Eye Lab

Digital Eye Lab
    This is our fully automated spectacle lens laboratory 100% focused on the fabrication of Freeform® Digitally surfaced backside PALs and single vision lenses. Every lens is engineered to account for the minutest variations in prescription, face measurements and frame measurements. This results in eye wear truly personalized to your patients’ needs and lifestyle. To ensure that orders aren’t delayed, all finishing services including: edging, drill mounting, tinting, and applying the most advanced AR coating, ClarisHD, are done in-house; the turn around time is approximately 3 days
    The Widest Selection of Materials & Designs from Shamir, Seiko, Indo, and Digital 5.0 with pricing that can help you increase your profit margins!
    http://digitaleyelab.com
    :cheers: CHARLOTTE CRAWFORD

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrawford View Post
    Digital Eye Lab
    This is our fully automated spectacle lens laboratory 100% focused on the fabrication of Freeform® Digitally surfaced backside PALs and single vision lenses. Every lens is engineered to account for the minutest variations in prescription, face measurements and frame measurements. This results in eye wear truly personalized to your patients’ needs and lifestyle. To ensure that orders aren’t delayed, all finishing services including: edging, drill mounting, tinting, and applying the most advanced AR coating, ClarisHD, are done in-house; the turn around time is approximately 3 days
    The Widest Selection of Materials & Designs from Shamir, Seiko, Indo, and Digital 5.0 with pricing that can help you increase your profit margins!
    http://digitaleyelab.com
    Digital eye lab should be all you claim it to be, but having a rash of problems lately I called and talked to Michael the "go to guy". Come to find out they have not been inputting pow measurements on must job He said "it makes no differences". I asked if online ordering is coming soon and was told they had it. If you go to there web site you can fill out a form and print it they then will input that into the order taking. I received a +5.00 sph instead of +0.50 because someone reentered it wrong. It seems they think new equipment makes up for experience. I do several thousand a month there but may start looking else where.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I apologize for the rash of problems that you have experienced lately. I disagree with the statement that the POW measurements make no difference; in a typical "brown-round" that may have been the case but when was the last time you sold one of those? Yes, we have great default measurements for the jobs that come in without them, but if you are taking the time with the patient to get those 3 extra measurements and you're providing us with that information, we should definitely be using them to even further customize the lenses. POW measurements make all the difference in the world to the patient, especially if the lenses are going into a more trendy frame style. As to the order entry errors and the experience of our customer service representatives, I can only say that we do make mistakes and although the company-wide spoilage rate is pretty low, we still haven't achieved perfection. I'd like to know what we've done to take care of the situations so if you'd like to pm me, I'd be happy to help, maybe even put the orders in myself if you'd like to fax them over to me. I can't promise I'll never make a mistake but I will check, check and double check. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by barryh66 View Post
    Digital eye lab should be all you claim it to be, but having a rash of problems lately I called and talked to Michael the "go to guy". Come to find out they have not been inputting pow measurements on must job He said "it makes no differences". I asked if online ordering is coming soon and was told they had it. If you go to there web site you can fill out a form and print it they then will input that into the order taking. I received a +5.00 sph instead of +0.50 because someone reentered it wrong. It seems they think new equipment makes up for experience. I do several thousand a month there but may start looking else where.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Freeform

C'mon Guys,

Freeform technologies has always been pioneered by first, Rodenstock, and second, Carl Zeiss. Rodenstock has been the pioneer for freeform technology. The only thing that would be missing for you would be the material, since they dont have poly. However, their material is quite strong because they have just replenished their older 1.52 index to 1.54 for all of their photochromic products.

And last but not least, hope you dont mind with the colormatic, not transitions.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Digital Eye Lab is the only lab in the US that produces Indo. We also have our own D5 family of lenses that meet every criteria you mentioned below. I'd love to help you get in contact with a local rep. If you pm me with your information, I will make sure you get a couple of vouchers with our catalogue to get you started.

Here are my criteria:

Thanks in advance!!
    Marc

Thread Information