Thread: Tint Just One Lens?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Tint Just One Lens?

Had a guy walk in to our shop asked me to tint his left lens only, because he feel more glar on the left eye. I paused for a while and asked myself what the hack he's thinking?

If you're in this situation, what are going to do???
    Last edited by ken_h_lin; 08-30-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would do both lenses the same tint as this could cause supression of image and ultimately lead to amblyopia.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It might cause depth perception issues. I wouldn't do it.

In perception class I remember us putting a polarized filter over just one eye, it made the back and forth metronome (sp?) motion appear elliptical.

Harry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_h_lin View Post
    Had a guy walk in to our shop asked me to tint his left lens only, because he feel more glar on the left eye. I paused for a while and asked myself what the hack he's thinking? $#f*@&!?

If you're in this situation, what are going to do???
    Send him off for a exam that ensures VAs are close to equal in both eyes if possible.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

May be health issue

I once had someone ask me for a red tinted contact lens in one eye to cheat in Las Vegas. Assuming the patient is really noticing the increased glare in one eye, I would make sure he has had a complete eye exam, with retinal evaluation, because he may be having the glare due to some eye disease. The glare must be pretty severe for him to not mind wearing mismatching lenses. I would recommend he get Transitions, because he probably gets more glare with more light. I might even recommend tinting them a little darker if he is sensitive indoors.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Cataracts..........................

When I had my cataract starting in my left eye, I became a similar case. The left eye became very sensitive to light. I just wore my sunglasses more often. The minute the operation was done my eye was normal again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    how about polarized grey A for inside for both eyes, the lightest shade of polarization available. grey wouldn't be neccessary, but typically the best at reducing glare. I have made this setup for two different patients, one who had terrible scattering of blue light due to an IOL surgery gone bad. The other patient blinked uncotrollably inside under flourescent lights. Both of these patients were successfully treated with wearing polarized gray A lenses inside.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now why on earth if one eye is affected by glare wouldn't the patient say "well tint the other one anyway so I don't look like an idiot". Maybe there are some other underlying issues besides eyesight?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have an old pair of GA glasses which were originally my son's. These were gimmick glasses with regular Rx in frame and addittional lenses that swing to the side with sun tint. After I found them laying around years after my son had abandoned them, I made them us in my Rx.
    Can't say how it would affect anyone else, but it only takes a few seconds to drive me nuts when only one of the suns is in place.
    Have had several patients wear miss-matched contact for effect though and don't recall any of them complaining.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue Puhlfricht's Phenom?

:DI don't know if I spelled that right, but any opto-geeks on the forum might recognize it. (Darryl Meister, are you out there?) P's Phenomenom involves putting two different wave length absorptive lenses in front of the eyes (like one tinted and one not tinted). It makes a straight line movement in front of the eyes appear as an elliptical movement. It could pose multiple problems for driving, etc. It's also sort of the basis for old time 3-D glasses for movies and comics. Hey - is this arcane or what?:D

Thread Information