Thread: Technical Services-Ophthalmic Lens Design & Manufacture

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Technical Services-Ophthalmic Lens Design & Manufacture

I am a Process Engineer with a great deal of experience in the design, development, and manufacture of ophthalmic lenses. I am skilled in both glass and plastic, however my primary focus has always been on methods and processes related to the production of hard resin lenses. I have an extensive background in all phases of manufacturing as well as a thorough proficiency in optics, ophthalmic lens design, mold and gasket design, new product and process development, and quality specification and control. In addition I am skilled in CAD and have designed and built numerous pieces of production equipment. One of my strong points is the cleaning of lenses and lens casting molds.

If you have a problem you think I can help with, please post to this board and we can discuss it in more detail. A resume and references are available upon request. Have a great day.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Technical Services-Ophthalmic Lens Design & Manufacture

Originally posted by eyesguy
    One of my strong points is the cleaning of lenses and lens casting molds.

If you have a problem you think I can help with, please post to this board and we can discuss it in more detail.
    Post number two ... it will be slow but you will eventually get caught up in OptiBoard like the rest of us. ;) It sounds like you could add a ton off valuable information to many of the posts in the General Discussion and Opthalmics Optics forums!

I have a question for you. When you say cleaning of lenses, is that prior to the coating process?

Occupation

Lens Cleaning

Hi Jo:

The quick answer is yes. I have experience with a wide variety of pre-coating cleaning processes, i.e., lens dip coating, lens spin coating, pre-clean for A/R coating, and in-mold coating.

Regards,

eyesguy

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello Eyesguy,

Do you have any information about plano polarized lens lamination?
    Who are the suppliers? What is the process? Is it worth to invest equipment to laminate my own plano polarized lens?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Occupation

Polarized Plano

Hi Jerry:

Can you give a little more detail. Do you want to end up with a plano polarized lens for an ophthalmic application? If so, what diameter and base curve, i.e., 75mm and 6 base?

I do have info that might help depending on the specifics of your need. By the way, I do not think you want to mess with making your own laminates. The people who make this stuff have highly specialized equipment and processes.

Regards,

eyesguy

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 10-23-2001 at 12:51 PM.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello Eyesguy,

We use about 150 pairs of CR-39 plano polarized lens a day to put on our sunglass line and clip-on. We currently buy those lens from C & E, and KB Co ( 78 mm blank size, 6 base). 75 mm will be OK.

We are thinking about laminating our own polarized lens for 2 reasons:

1. High cost of lens.

2. No one makes 3.0 mm CT plano polarized lens for drill-mount rimless frames, (0.8 MM CT front + polarized film + 2.2 mm CT back, all in 6 base).

Some Japanese polarized film suppliers suggest me to find a stable plano lens supplier because the curvature of polarized film must match the exact curvature from plano lens !!! Do you know anyone could supply 0.8 mmm CT plano lens in accurate curverature?

I also realized laminated polarized lens take many specialized equipments such as lens cleaning units, expoxy dispenser unit, pressure unit, UV cure unit.........plus a expensive dust-free environment.
    Are there other ways to manufacture polarized lens besides lamination?

Have you heard anything about "printing" polarized COATING on lens? I am going to meet the inventor of this world-wide patented technology in Hong Kong optical fair. Before seeing the actual lens, I assume the process is done by vaccume or pad printing. I futher assume that the coating will peel off like AR coating. Do you agree?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails polarized.jpg  
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 10-23-2001 at 01:53 PM.

Occupation

Polarized lenses

Hi Jerry:

After receiving your message, I checked my files and pulled out 20 or 30 plano polarized lenses that are 0.8mm thick, i.e., they come from the manufacturer already polarized-no film bonding needed. They are on a 6 base and are 75mm in diameter. They also come in a wide range of colors. I will be glad to send you a couple if you like.

In any event, they are available from a Massachusettes company called International Polarizer. Their number is (508) 481-7495. The last time I talked to them my contact was A guy by the name of Peter Colarusso.

I have not heard about the print polarizing you mentioned but I did recently read something about a dip polarizing process. Maybe it is the same thing. Sorry, I do not remember the details. If I run across it again, I will let you know. Good luck.

Regards,

eyesguy
    Last edited by eyesguy; 10-23-2001 at 01:57 PM.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Thanks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Hi

Dear Eyesguy,

I would like to set up my own casting unit for semi-finish progressive lenses. I would need full technical support for the same. Would it be possible for you to set up our unit? If yes, please let me know your charges

My email is opti_vision@yahoo.com

Regards

Pradeep

OptiBoard Novice
    eyesguy,
    Are you currently employed? Would you be interested to discuss a job opportunity?
    John

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyesguy View Post
    I am a Process Engineer with a great deal of experience in the design, development, and manufacture of ophthalmic lenses. I am skilled in both glass and plastic, however my primary focus has always been on methods and processes related to the production of hard resin lenses. I have an extensive background in all phases of manufacturing as well as a thorough proficiency in optics, ophthalmic lens design, mold and gasket design, new product and process development, and quality specification and control. In addition I am skilled in CAD and have designed and built numerous pieces of production equipment. One of my strong points is the cleaning of lenses and lens casting molds.

If you have a problem you think I can help with, please post to this board and we can discuss it in more detail. A resume and references are available upon request. Have a great day.
    Hi Eyesguy,

I havebeen offered an job of process engineer in a ophthalmic company.I have to also look after the quality section.Can you please guide me on what is the role of process engineer and how will i do my work ? I have to look after hard coat,AR coat and surfacing also

regards,
    Smita

Thread Information