Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: McCain's Choice

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

McCain's Choice

I know I said I would avoid politics but...
    Is there a man alive (except Barney Franks) who wouldn't vote for this woman?
    If women voted for JFK because they thought he was prettier than Nixon, just think what men will do for the Gov. of Alaska!

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I know I said I would avoid politics but...
    Is there a man alive (except Barney Franks) who wouldn't vote for this woman?
    If women voted for JFK because they thought he was prettier than Nixon, just think what men will do for the Gov. of Alaska!

Chip
    If that were true, all of the old men only clubs would be full of attractive women. Though men tend to make decisions with their pants, we would not vote for a girl based on her looks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't get the point of this thread so far...but go ahead feel free to discuss it further. You vote for who you think is best qualified and will do the best job, no?

Occupation
    Yes, and I do not think she is even close to that. She ran a town the same size as the municipality I work for. But you do not see me pushing our moustache and mullet wearing man for Deputy PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    You vote for who you think is best qualified and will do the best job, no?
    Do we?? or do we vote for the one with the best advertising campaign??

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Do we?? or do we vote for the one with the best advertising campaign??

I think the majority of the populations votes for who the media tells them to vote for ...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    I think the majority of the populations votes for who the media tells them to vote for ...
    I will say that about 90% of people vote with no idea of what the issues really mean.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Exciting, nonetheless...

She's definitely a newcomer to national politics, and I haven't made up my mind about her, but her track record seems to show integrity and a good work ethic. All I can say is, the election just got a lot more exciting and I think more people will go out to vote because of it.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I wrote a biography paper on her for my class last fall. I love this pick.

dwayne

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Originally Posted by GOS_Queen

Response posted by For-Life
    I will say that about 90% of people vote with no idea of what the issues really mean. I will say that about 90% of people vote with no idea of what the issues really mean.
    Wow! I am pleased to see that at least 2 posters found something they could agree on. That being...the majority of the voters (I think 90% may be a bit too high) having no clue as to what the issues mean and having to rely on the media to tell them who to vote for. While I certainly hope this isn't true, truth is a relative term these days so I guess we won't know until after the elections. :)

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ksquared View Post
    Wow! I am pleased to see that at least 2 posters found something they could agree on. That being...the majority of the voters (I think 90% may be a bit too high) having no clue as to what the issues mean and having to rely on the media to tell them who to vote for. While I certainly hope this isn't true, truth is a relative term these days so I guess we won't know until after the elections. :)
    I went high, because I think that some people know what politician X and Y are saying, but few understand the economics of monetary and fiscal policy.

For instance, I am sure if one of these candidates discussed tax increases, people would go crazy. But, with the deficits it is probably needed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Share it???

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I wrote a biography paper on her for my class last fall. I love this pick.

dwayne
    You would have the research on her. Would you care to share your information as well as your resources?;)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    You would have the research on her. Would you care to share your information as well as your resources?;)

Diane
    Only the important stuff please:

1. Who is her optician/optical shop
    2. What are her favorite frames
    3. How many pair of eyewear does she have
    4. How wide IS the reading area in a progressive with a FH of 30mm. I actually don't know

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We are not sheep

Some us think and choose who we vote for with some thought. Some of us read, watch, listen and then decide.

A few comments about what these guys are saying in private.

1. Dick Cheney's comments on Sara Palin (kind of different people)
    2. The vice presidential debate will be fun to watch
    3. The conversation between Rommney and Gulliani regarding the pick
    Last edited by LKahn; 08-30-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Men dont faint when the see a pretty woman,
    Men groupies dont follow pretty women,
    Men dont buy hearthrob women magazines for posters on thier bedroom.

Yet somehow we're portrayed as the unreasonable and emotional ones on TV.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Any man that votes for her just because she's attractive has a vacuum between his ears.

natura abhorret a vacuo
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    She's just a hot Cheney...she's in league with big oil, and even supported the "Bridge to Nowhere" until funding got shut down after an earmark investigation by Congress (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...n-bridge_N.htm). McCain only added her to the ticket because he's hoping to lure the disenfranchised Hillarites. That's why he waited to pick his VP until he knew who Obama had picked. I'm sure if Obama had picked Hillary to be his VP, McCain would've found an older white male who appealed to some other angry bloc of voters, and wouldn't have picked Palin.

Write in your candidate--don't vote for either of these fools. Even if it's Ron Paul or Hillary or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it's better than backing a candidate you don't fully support.

That's how Bush got elected and REelected, after all. Hmmm, Gore the Bore or the Johns... talk about a rock and a hard place.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    She's just a hot Cheney...she's in league with big oil, and even supported the "Bridge to Nowhere" until funding got shut down after an earmark investigation by Congress (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...n-bridge_N.htm). McCain only added her to the ticket because he's hoping to lure the disenfranchised Hillarites. That's why he waited to pick his VP until he knew who Obama had picked. I'm sure if Obama had picked Hillary to be his VP, McCain would've found an older white male who appealed to some other angry bloc of voters, and wouldn't have picked Palin.

Write in your candidate--don't vote for either of these fools. Even if it's Ron Paul or Hillary or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it's better than backing a candidate you don't fully support.

That's how Bush got elected and REelected, after all. Hmmm, Gore the Bore or the Johns... talk about a rock and a hard place.

Are you actually old enough to be such a cynic?? I thouht that level of cynicism was reserved for us PAL wearers:D

Occupation
    There was a story last night about how her Wikipedia profile had a severe make-over the night before she was announced as the VP candidate. Very biased stuff was added to it. I think that is really interesting.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The latest story is that her 17 year old daughter is 5 months pregnant and is planning to marry the baby's father.

Being in the spotlight is going to be hard on this girl. :(

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    The latest story is that her 17 year old daughter is 5 months pregnant and is planning to marry the baby's father.

Won't work for a conservative. Personally, it is not something I would care about as a voter.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

What is she thinking? It is her right to have an abortion, and if she must keep the thing don't get married it will make it harder to get welfare.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Personally, I was a bit shocked at the pick (then again, after some of the Supreme Court nominations I've seen lately, its getting harder to be shocked).

After trying to dig up a little of her history, I'm actually fairly pleased. Say what you will about her experience, but I prefer Governor Palin as a VP over Sen. Biden (who is little more than an attack dog). Biden's selection was perhaps Sen. Obama's first major misstep- IMO. If this is a precursor of the kind of individuals we would see in an Obama Administration cabinet, I'm feeling a bit more enthused over Sen. McCain.

Once again, the Democrat candidate just can't seem to stay with what was working (the whole "I'm for change and not your typical politician."). Biden is the poster child for "typical politician," and I can't imagine all those young, idealistic voters are going to warm up to him. I was tentatively planning on voting for Sen. Obama- because I've never been a fan of McCain. However, based on their respective health care plans (McCain's actually makes sense), coupled with their running mate selections, I'll be happy to go pull the "R" lever once again come November.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Her Biggest Virtue

She seems "normal" which is appearently a rarity in politicians today.
    Has the usual number of "normal" hobbies, usual number of family troubles and joys. Ben to the PTA, Ben to the city counsel meetings, ben camping, been fishing, be most of the places and done most of the things that people with acceptable behavior have been.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This lady can't manage her own family,much less a whole country, even a small one with more caribou than people. She's going to be a mother of an infant, grandmother to a new born, and still take care of her duties as VP. Each one of these seems like a full time job. Seems like she did a great job with her knocked up 17 year old. Please, lets give her the most powerful nation in the world to help run.

As far as health care goes, how about we take some of the 12 Billion we spend in Iraq every month and provide something for our own people, like some kind of health care. Iraq has an 80 Billion dollar budget surplus and our economy is in the crapper. Can I please have some more of this?
    Last edited by KStraker; 09-02-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Thread Information