Thread: Just how important can PDs be...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just how important can PDs be...

when you view the acceptance and success of OTCs, as well as the prescribers themselves recommending OTCs for their patients, even when they're not in binocular balance, and often not even close to the approximate spherical equivalent of the astigmatic Rxs.

How can any really critical-thinking dispenser *not* see the incongruity of it all?

Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, as usual your posts are thought-provoking...

I have often wondered why OTC's are acceptable when purchased anywhere, with any pd, etc.....however if I had a pt come in and want a certain power, I am not allowed to make one with his or her correct pd.

The other thing I wonder is how did it happen that readers are ok, but minus spheres are not? (not that I want them to be, mind you...but I do wonder if there is some rationale to this, that I don't understand)

do you think it's because readers are meant for intermittent (spelling?)use?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, I could not agree more. But, these things are not going away anytime soon. It all started as a small hail ball, and has exploded into a full landslide. I personally don't sell them, but to the public, they are nothing more than a comodity.

I don't feel that we can bring this horse back to life, he died a long time ago. JMHO

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's that way because by one method or another the board of optometry or the Optometry Assn. managed to convice the legislature and the govenor to do this. Mearly this and nothing more.
    Some may have done this for "the public good" some for money, some from fear, some for power (votes) and some for some freebie eye exam or spectacles.

Reguardless of the right or wrong, if you don't like it you need money, numbers, some dirt, and what ever else you can bring to bare at the state house.

Chip

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OD's?--Surely you jest...

Think about it Chip.

I'd lay this at the feet of lobbyists for Corporations WAY before OD's would advocate for it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If it were presented properly, it could make a good case for outlawing them.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    If it were presented properly, it could make a good case for outlawing them.
    Seriously- Lead plaintiff Wal Mart! Now there's some clout!!

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's fascinating is that OTC readers are not available in France. I have no idea whether that's true elsewhere in Europe. If you want reading glasses, you go to the optician and have a pair made to your Rx.

So: is this just that the opticians in France are better-organized and have more clout than we do in the US (which is clear to me after spending some time talking with opticians over there)? Or is it the "OTC industry?" Or is it something else?
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back in the very early 1980's they weren't allowed in Maryland. I don't know about now.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper good reason to drive Sunday afternoon ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Back in the very early 1980's they weren't allowed in Maryland. I don't know about now.
    Tha would have a good reason to drive Sunday afternoon somewhere to the fleamarket in Virginia or Delaware

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Actually, the point I intended to make was

just what *harm* does the public incur from OTCs?

(The FDA guy quoted in the now infamous Consumer's Digest report said "eyewear has the lowest risk of harm to the public of any medical device")

Accepting this premise, why do we sweat so much about ANSI, PDs and the *correctness/rightness" (righteousness?)of making Rx eyewear so "perfect".

IMHO, its time to re-evaluate our perspectives on this...

FWIW

Barry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Accepting this premise, why do we sweat so much about ANSI, PDs and the *correctness/rightness" (righteousness?)of making Rx eyewear so "perfect".

Well, every now and then, I would like to "see", so it's kinda, every once in awhile, important to me...... Maybe not every day, usually on Sundays... I like to "see" then... when I am tired of wearing my twirling contact lenses.... Sheesh, maybe it's just me.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If your contacts are toric and twirl, they don't fit (Probably too flat). See someone who knows what he is doing for a re-fit!

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, do you have a new drinking buddy named Borysko?

:D:cheers::D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If your contacts are toric and twirl, they don't fit (Probably too flat). See someone who knows what he is doing for a re-fit!

Chip
    Thanks for the advice Chip. I myself have only been fitting CL's for about 20 years. All vision correction is a compromise, and I accept the "twirling contacts" because my eyes are slightly more defective than a regular "flat or steep" conversion can account for. But thanks again for the kindergarden class.

S-W

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Great Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    just what *harm* does the public incur from OTCs?

(The FDA guy quoted in the now infamous Consumer's Digest report said "eyewear has the lowest risk of harm to the public of any medical device")

IMHO, its time to re-evaluate our perspectives on this...

FWIW

Barry

I think Barry is just opening this up for discussion to pick our brains and all share our thaughts on this.

My reasoning against them is two things, 1. Prismatic affect, most are made at a 60mm PD Women in general have a shorter near P.D. then that.
    2. Every once in a while we do incounter Non-Adapt issues with progressive lenses, most with Patients that wear OTC's, they complian the reading area is not large enough.

just some thaughts. Ginster:)

Thread Information