View Poll Results: Should they gain the procedures outlined in the bill?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 15.79%
  • No

16 84.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They're at it again

Bad address email on file NC-OD's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There is no surgery included in that bill that I can see. Just sounding false claims repeated over and over until they sound true. And there is nothing included that ODs have not been doing for many years in every other state. And nothing ODs have not been trained and tested to do. In fact it is quite weak compared to other states with mandatory OMD supervision of x number of glaucoma patients etc.......stupid really.

No ODs is asking, nor have they ever asked to my knowledge, to perform surgery with a scapel--what most laymen consider real surgery. This is a myth that is perpetuated by the OMD lobby from time to time to scare the public, who they hope is not paying attention.

So Harry, why are you so obsessed with optometry then? I mean who else follows other professions so closely? Who reads obscure bills that has absolutely no effect on them or their job? Why do you even care?
    Last edited by NC-OD; 08-23-2008 at 09:38 PM.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually do not have a problem with this. The only caveat I would like to add is that if there were anything surgery related, like cataract surgery or even lasik, they be under the guidance of an OMD and have had the pre-requisite instruction to do so with corresponding CE.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-OD View Post
    There is no surgery included in that bill that I can see. Just sounding false claims repeated over and over until they sound true. And there is nothing included that ODs have not been doing for many years in every other state. And nothing ODs have not been trained and tested to do. In fact it is quite weak compared to other states with mandatory OMD supervision of x number of glaucoma patients etc.......stupid really.

No ODs is asking, nor have they ever asked to my knowledge, to perform surgery with a scapel--what most laymen consider real surgery. This is a myth that is perpetuated by the OMD lobby from time to time to scare the public, who they hope is not paying attention.

So Harry, why are you so obsessed with optometry then? I mean who else follows other professions so closely? Who reads obscure bills that has absolutely no effect on them or their job? Why do you even care? I don't go around commenting on podiatry bills and I don't read up and follow what they do from day to day.
    Shaving of epidermal or dermal lesions? That's a surgical procedure and why would you want to perform this procedure?

Treatment or removal of sebaceous cysts? Clearly a surgical procedure?

Pages 6 and 7, now most of them were changed or dropped but there are more than a few procedures that just aren't relevent.

Second part I am not obsessed with optomerty it's one of the key words that I was asked to monitor legilation on and it seems to always pop up, most the time it's just fiscal matters pertaining to state boards of optometry, but every now and again it's a big bill like this one. I thought it relevent and posted it, I posted my view of it which is how I post every thing yeah sure I knew I would ruffle fethers, but it was still relevent and I think a lot of people would find it interesting. Since I did post my opinion of it from jump street I did also include a link tot he bill rather than just the bill number to make it almost dummy proof not to ead it fr yourself and comment on it. I read bills and it's because it's what i volunteered to do, not many bills that concern opticianry and the reason was spot on in one of your above posts, most would rather complain than do anything to change their situation.

Also the effects are subtle but they are there, with optometry consistently encroaching on ophthalmology, squeezes ophthalmology and in turn more and more ophthalmologists are putting opticals in house, this has traditionally been a referal source for opticians that is slowly dryign up. It's the butterfly effect, what tornado could befall opticianry as a result of optometry pushing to much and not giving any? Why don't we make a seperate thread and call it Future of Independent Opticianry? Then honestly post in there what you think the profession will become. I said years ago that eventually optometry will be pushing for surgical privledges and if you think I am wrong this is onyl the toe in the pool wait fo the cannon ball there will be more bills there will be more ground. I question where it ends every time and I never recieve and answer and I can't even fathom an answer. So then what becomes of the other O's? It may sound like I am instigating when I say this but don't you find these bills selfish and greedy?

Also as one of the ones that seems to be so passionate about it why have you not voted in the poll yet? Why hasn't the other person who is jsut as passionate abotu the subject posted? The excuse that it's biased is not a good one anymore since that has been corrected by the moderators due to complaints so now what's the excuse for not getting involved? I wish there was a way fo preventing you from posting untill you cast your vote that would be the truly fair way. It's like a few of my friends that never vote and complian about Bush well then go vote and chaneg the outcome.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 08-23-2008 at 10:04 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's so funny to me that OD's could take a course for a weekend and change thier scope, but let an Optician try to expand thier scope.. then you have poop in the punch bowl. To paraphrase, if you want to do more the go and take out the loans and go back to school.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    then you have poop in the punch bowl.
    Is that your sneaky way of calling me a turd Paul. :D

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Just another example of a thread started to elicit optician led bias against another profession...on the Premier Online Community for Eyecare Professionals...(my foot).

Harry, you should know better.

Mods...do us all a favor and shut it down.
    Harry should know better about other things too. You're too suspicious, Harry. Not good for the old health, you know.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have asked that this thread be closed. It is degenerating into the same old stupid, childish name-calling, profession-bashing. You all must not have understood me the first time. Behave like professionals or pay the price.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I have asked that this thread be closed. It is degenerating into the same old stupid, childish name-calling, profession-bashing. You all must not have understood me the first time. Behave like professionals or pay the price.
    What is the protocal fro discussing a controversial topic? Can I state my opinion or should I check to see if it offends anyone first?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper staying away from ugly thread......................

Having been away for 3 days.......no internet...........in a 120 year old country inn, across from 4 locks, hand operated, lifting up pleasure craft up the rocks to the upper level of the first electric power dam ever build (1835-1860) bringing the water to the plant in still existing three wooden 6 foot diameter pipes....................on the historic Rideau Canal in Ontario with its crystal clear water.............

...........I actually lost track of the daily life for a few hours of all the daily life. Now I am back in the world of bickering.

I will not participate in a thread that fights ODs by opticians that so far have not even been able to make their profession a country wide well organized one.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pertaining to the subject of this thread, first off…are the OD’s in CA properly trained to perform these procedures, if this bill was passed?

Secondly, I don’t understand why the OD’s are up in arms by the information presented in this thread. This reminds me of all the threads that involved refraction. How is this issue any different than Opticians wanting to right to legally refract? Funny that the OD’s were the first to chime in when we wanted to increase our scope of practice, saying that we would endanger our patients lives by doing so. There’s no doubt in my mind that this would be a much greater danger to the public than Opticians refracting.

I understand that we all want to increase our scope of practice to enrich our professional lives, to better ourselves and to offer better service to our patients. But this is going too far, we can only safely do what we are trained to do. This in my opinion is way out of OD’s scope, and if they seriously want to do this, then they should go back to school to become an OMD or an Ophthamologist.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post
    Pertaining to the subject of this thread, first off…are the OD’s in CA properly trained to perform these procedures, if this bill was passed?

Secondly, I don’t understand why the OD’s are up in arms by the information presented in this thread. This reminds me of all the threads that involved refraction. How is this issue any different than Opticians wanting to right to legally refract? Funny that the OD’s were the first to chime in when we wanted to increase our scope of practice, saying that we would endanger our patients lives by doing so. There’s no doubt in my mind that this would be a much greater danger to the public than Opticians refracting.

I understand that we all want to increase our scope of practice to enrich our professional lives, to better ourselves and to offer better service to our patients. But this is going too far, we can only safely do what we are trained to do. This in my opinion is way out of OD’s scope, and if they seriously want to do this, then they should go back to school to become an OMD or an Ophthamologist.

Bravo !!

Thread Information