Thread: What CEC subjects would YOU like to see?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Question

So, you're sitting through this really boring CEC on "The History of the Phillips Head Screw," and you're thinking- "Why isn't there a class on ___________?"

Seriously, anyone see a need for a subject or topic that isn't often covered by CECs? Any ingenious suggestions for a unique format?

Yes, I'm prepared for the outrageous suggestions (e.g., "1,001 Uses for a P.D. Ruler," etc.), but I hope to get a few ideas from this OptiBunch...

Pete

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'd like to see a course explaining why Janet Reno doesn't have a hobby like drilling for Cobalt :-) That's the kind of thing that interests me.

Actually I'd like to see a course on the geosocial ramafications of bovine IOL's :-) Or maybe a course on how to keep ones self out of a strip club while under the influence of alcohol :-) Or better yet, how not to run ones self over while manning a tractor trailer by ones self. These are helpful subjects and could be useful to many. I know I'd benefit as would others :-)

Seriously though a course on patient psychology would be good. How to read them and know how to solve potential problems before they arise.

I'd like to teach a course on how to get over ones self and take life for what it is. There are a few people that might have to be made mandatory attendants of that particular class every time it is offered (You know some of who I'm speaking :-)

All in all I don't think that the content of the courses are as much an issue as is the ability of the instructor to keep the attention of those attending. No offense meant to anyone that teaches but if you can't keep the attention of those attending it won't matter what the content of the course is. Over the years I've seen so many instructors just going through the motions because they feel (or know) that the people there just want that blue slip of paper at the end of the class and to go home. The use of imagination can be lacking sometimes.

If one is good at teaching and keeping the attention of the class then why not give out the blue slips at the beginning of the class, stamped and ready to go? Give instructions to the class that if they get bored during the course they may leave at any time as long as they sign out on the way out. That might be a good way to determine what the instructors might want to do different the next time. Just a thought.

Talk to you hopefully tomorrow at the round table thing on eye butchery...er...LASIK I mean :-)

Darris "Four score and seven years ag...Oh, shut up! :-)" Chambless

Rising Star

Question

Hi Pete;

Some things that are not done to much anymore are the hands on classes. For sure "Adjusting Zyl, Metal, and Titanium frames". Using a "Lensometer". and that type of class. We have so many people coming into Opticianry and they don't know anything about the simple everyday things we do.

Jim Seebach

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Pete,

It may sound pretty stupid but I go to alot of my accounts and give mini seminars and was amazed by the lack of simple knowledge on things like indexes, and lens surfaces (spherical,aspherical,atoric,semi-aspherical) ...proper fitting procedures on aspherical lens (yes, even SV)
    I think that alot of people are really lacking in the basics ..
    Two quick examples.. had one office that kept kicking back PAL's to me and saying the "add power is off" .. so I started delivering myself to them and we went through the process of checking in the jobs .. the optician and the OD both were doing it with me, and they would check the lens and the optican would say "oh this one off" then the OD would check it and say the same thing.. and I would hold it up to the light and see what the lens was marked (add) and say nope its right.. THEY did not know the ADD was etched into the surface of the lens .. BOTH said "no way you can tell an add power by just holding it up and looking through the lens, they didn't even know the markings were there
    The other was when we had "Transitions plus" .. an OPTICIAN thought that they could only be cut for hypes not myop's ....

I have been amazed by the simple questions that I, thought that they should know, get asked .. like how to check prism, basic use of lensomter, "why you need to have a mono PD in PAL's or aspherical designs?" ... I think that alot could be gained by just explaining the basics, I know that some of the opticians and OD's I have explained some of these things to said that they thought it was a "stupid" question to ask some of these things .. so they just didn't ask.
    Thats why I went in explaining basics at alot of these meetings and you could almost see the "light bulbs" popping on over peoples heads when they "got it" :) I think alot of them tend to not want to seem optically "dumb" so they just do not ask..

Next time you're going on about something and the person you are talking to about optics and saying "yea I know" ask them to explain it.. you'll be amazed by how many DON'T have a clue how to explain it :)
    I guess it's just human nature to not want to admitt "I don't know something" :)

Jeff " don't know it all BUT will ask questions" Trail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Would like to see Hilco give seminar on every tool type product they make. Almost had them committed for state assn. once but they chickened out.

Would like to see good courses on frame repair, modification, color changing, soldering, repair of surface, etc.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Once saw a course on different types of frames for different types of noses, ears, Rx weights, etc. Didn't need it at the time but would like to see it again. You would be suprised how many "opticians" don't know what a saddle bridge, a keyhole bridge, etc. are. More don't know about Skull, cable, riding bow, Paddle, etc. Ralph Drew gave last course of this type I saw. He described an old frame "the Broker" (which I have sold early in my career) that had 17 types of temples and God knows whatever other options.
    We might even get some of the frame manufacturers to notice some forgotten but useful designs.

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused

Hi pete
    I would like to see classes on measuring o.c. heights on high minus to see what happens on a 10 diopter lens when you move the o.c. more than 5mm up in the frame and the patient wants to know why the lenses are so thick on the bottom compared to his last pair. It's always been one of my pet peeves.
    Rich R

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi Pete:

The question as to what CE to present has been one that I have pondered for several years. One of the topics I developed was a four-hour course on Ethics. It included history, ethical standards, and professional ethics. Throughout the course situations encountered by the dispensing optician were examined and discussed. When the course was submitted to the ABO/NCLE for approval it was rejected because "the basic exam test specifications do not include ethics..." All was not lost however. This material is now included in a college Business Ethics course I have written.

I prefer to present CE in blocks of several hours, since it gives me the opportunity to fully develop topics. Often, when CE is limited to one-hour presentations, the subject matter suffers from breadth of information and lack of depth.

As for topics, the search goes on.

Roy

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Basic optics seminars are always good but I find that the persons who typically attend CE seminars can benefit from the more intermediate and advanced material. Like the courses required for the new ABO Advanced Certification. That is what I really would like to see offered more often.

Persons who could most benefit from the basics do not usually attend educational forums. So often I see the same people over and over at these seminars and intimidate the more novice in the crowd. I would suggest packaging the more basic courses into interactive CD-ROM programs that can be viewed on the job and replayed as necessary.

There was a time at the Eyequest conferences where equipment manufacturers loaned the speakers some of their equipment for hands-on workshops on the convention floor. Although this type of seminar is a huge effort to coordinate, they were tremendously popular.

Good luck.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Pete, one of the most useful seminars i've attended is one by Ed August on "stress management", I think it's a serious component of succeeding as an optician, and as a person. Several years ago, I did a three hour course on "defensive dispensing", basically a how to prevent problems before they're problems. Relieves a lot of stress too! Al.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'd like to see a course on "The Special Laws of Physics That Apply Only to Spectacles." This would include such phenomena as glasses that spontaneously bend when placed carefully on the nightstand, as well as lenses that scratch with no external force applied. Not to mention how defective frames can perform fine until long after any warranty has expired, then reveal their defect. I'll admit I've only had two semesters of physics, but none of these things seem possible.
    Professionalism and Ethics might be a good idea, but you'd probably end up preaching to the choir. Everyone else would be down the hall in the "How to Run a Sale" class.
    Of course in my ideal world, chain employees would get at least one credit hour for "Marketing Marksmanship", in which marketing folks would be used for target practice (with water pistols... I'm not advocating violence). This could also fall under Stress Management!

Blake

------------------
    where you can get a complete pair of glasses starting at $99.

OptiBoard Apprentice

I think one of the resons that CE courses get such a lackluster response is the perception that being an 'optician' is not predicated on haveing extensive knowledge of the subject. Many chains have the miraculous ability to hire somebody off the street and in three weeks... Presto! A new optician is introduced to the public at large. State licencing is probably the best way to instill standards into the industry but without the consumer being aware of a difference between a qualified optician and someone who knows how to color on a demo lens, bend metal and tighten a screw without impaling themselves every time it might a tough path.
    One of the things that a dim fellow like myself (MmmmmHmmmm I shere do like them french fried pataters (see SlingBlade) enjoys doing when in a class on fairly rudimentary optics is ask questions that I remember I was afraid to ask early in my career. It may be the responsibility of the seasoned optician to pass the same passion, interest whatever to the up and coming folks out there.

Ever Optimistic,

Azthoth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Don't anybody steal "1000 uses for the Leap Pad". I am using it for my ABO Master's Thesis.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Uh, not to be competitive, but it is up to 1002 uses for a leap pad...

In addition, one should consider the various applications of the pop out centers of surfacing (specifically polishing) pads...

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi everyone! Since I have never been to a CE course I probably have no right to express and opinion, but since that has never stopped me before I'll add my 2 cents worth. I love Al's idea of stress management. I come home so stressed and agravated at the stupidity of alot of our patients. I am not the most intelligent person in the world, but I at least have enough sense to ask when I don't know rather than pretending like I know something I don't. Here's a class for everyone: How to get 20/20 out of a 20/200 brain hmmmmm....Sorry didn't mean to lash out at patients like that. No wonder so many of us drink!!(I am not a drinker;however, I can see where it might come in handy!) Roy, it is always a pleasure to see you on the board. Don't forget to e-mail me when you know the dates your NCLE class will be. Thanks!!!
    I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!! Don't get too stressed or drink too much!!
    Steph

OptiBoard Apprentice

Lots of great ideas - I especially like the tool usage one. (We all know that we use whatever it takes to get the job done!) I would like to see something taht compares the layout of progressives. Not just the Progressive guide that shows markings, but the actual design of the lens. That was I can compare a VIP v. Varilux for the "Choosy" consumer and actually know what I'm talking about.

OptiBoard Apprentice

I liked the ethics suggestion made by Roy. Always a good idea to keep centered. Would like to also see some CE's on new high tech developments in frames, lenses, coatings, manufacturing techniques, etc, and keep abreast of the medical breakthroughs as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gees Gang!

I am looking at all you are interested in and many of these I have written and done myself at regional and state level for opticans and paraoptometrics in PA. This is one thing our state association looks closely at in providing education at our conventions. You can do all these topics from basic up to advance and incorporate hands on. It takes time and it takes work but beneficial when the old timers even come up and tell you they enjoyed it and learned something new.

Roy has been truly an inspirational mentor for this through the years for me. Another person that I give credit to for developing things like this is Bob Hagaman.

Psychology classes are important. They are also in demand. I went to one on sales management that incorporated psychology outside of our business that was excellent.
    It was very useful and applies to all sales regardless of where they originate. It is to bad that we don't recognize them for cec.
    The course that I took was 4 days long and well worth every penny.

We are attempting something new this year at our state convention by placing a small mini management round table discussion that is not for ce following the advanced course on Practice Management. It has been demanded. In fact we are now seeing alot of people who just want to learn something different even if a cec is not attached.

Come check out our CEC line up for our annual meeting the first weekend of October. Bob Stratton and I have been hard at work trying to utilize our needs assessments.

Bev

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Bev, good to see your post! Are you keeping MR Stratton out of trouble. Y'all have some of THE nicest folks up there in PA. Tell Bob I said hello! Maybe I'll get to the next OAA meeting; where's it happening? Al.

Thread Information