Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations for progressive lens for sunglass frame?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Any recommendations for progressive lens for sunglass frame?

We have a new patient who came in looking for progressive sunglasses. Her Rx is-

spher cyl axis
    OD -4.25 -2.25 20
    OS -5.00 -1.25 170

ADD +2.50

She wears Varilux Ellipse short corridor for her glasses and does fine with them. She plans to order a Kate Spade Celeste frame for her sunglasses. Obviously a lot larger than her present frames.

What progressive do you recommend? Our senior optician was thinking of going with a Trivex, but she's used to the Varilux. Would a Comfort work? She wants polarized, but not particularly high index. She didn't want to go with a poly carb at first, but her vision plan only covers so much.

Do you think a poly carb will work? What about a med index? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can use a Comfort. I use the Younger Image a lot for polorized suns. Pretty good distance area and that's what you want. Haven't had a complaint yet. The material is relative to what the patient wants to pay and the finished look. If it won't show too much I use CR39. I am not a poly fan but most patients tolerate it fine.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make sure It's a polarized lens. No point in a Sunglass that isn't polarized.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnaea View Post
    We have a new patient who came in looking for progressive sunglasses. Her Rx is-

spher cyl axis
    OD -4.25 -2.25 20
    OS -5.00 -1.25 170

ADD +2.50

She wears Varilux Ellipse short corridor for her glasses and does fine with them. She plans to order a Kate Spade Celeste frame for her sunglasses. Obviously a lot larger than her present frames.

What progressive do you recommend? Our senior optician was thinking of going with a Trivex, but she's used to the Varilux. Would a Comfort work? She wants polarized, but not particularly high index. She didn't want to go with a poly carb at first, but her vision plan only covers so much.

Thanks in advance.
    yeah Comfort Polycarb should be fine

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Varilux Sport.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder how much the Liberty Sport resembles the Liberty? Has the Liberty been totally disco'ed?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Physio could be a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linnaea View Post

spher cyl axis
    OD -4.25 -2.25 20
    OS -5.00 -1.25 170

ADD +2.50

Thanks in advance.
    I would prefer a Physio for this patient, most former Varilux pts do well in this lens and it does have great peripheral over the Comfort, which is more noticable in sunglasses IMO. I am assuming that this frame is a 6 base, I would not fit that RX in an 8 base. And you will need to verfiy cut-out before you finalize a lens choice because not all lenses come in all blank sizes in every base curve. YMMV.

Sharpstick.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Physio or Autograph (longest corridor) in brown. Outstanding on and off-axis vision (for a polarized PAL). Cr39 might be OK if it's a solid bridge fit and the client can tolerate the weight. Poly otherwise.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Physio or Autograph (longest corridor) in brown. Outstanding on and off-axis vision (for a polarized PAL). Cr39 might be OK if it's a solid bridge fit and the client can tolerate the weight. Poly otherwise.
    Interestlngly Bob, I find Panamic (whic I don't care for as much in "regular" panoramic face-form angles) to be prefereable to Physio in wrap jobs...

FWIW

barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the base curve of the demo lenses and how much frame wrap is there? I would not put this much RX into a frame that was designed for a higher amount of base curve. I would also use a lens that would allow the lab to make revisions to the rx based on the degrees of frame wrap. I know that the Autograph II has this allowance and it does not have cut out issues. I would use a 1.67 polarized and try to keep the "a" measurment down because of the amount of cyl correction needed. I do not get to excited about prescribing poly in more complex RX's...

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Interestlngly Bob, I find Panamic (whic I don't care for as much in "regular" panoramic face-form angles) to be prefereable to Physio in wrap jobs...

FWIW

barry
    Barry,

Maybe the softer designs perform better when you go away from best form and/or tilt the lens at grotesque angles?:)

I've been waiting so long for a decent brown, poly, polarized PAL that I'm in no mood to mess it up by using the wrong curves and tilt. (Insert "old school" face here!)

Linnaea,

If the frame requires a non-best form BC (more than 2 D off spec) and/or a diedral angle (face form) of more than 15 degrees, the RX may need to be compensated and/or a PAL design that is optimised; e.g. Attitude may be required.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're switching her out of the lens type she's using now, why limit your options to Essilor lenses? A Comfort is a very different lens than Ellipse, the fact they're both branded under the Varilux name has little barring on how she'll see out of them. I mean, a comfort should be fine, but so should most normal (non short-corridor) lenses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow

I believe she used to wear Comforts in her ophthalmics years ago. But you're right--she doesn't have to limit herself to the Varilux brand. I guess she feels "if it ain't broke"... The optician is more like you and doesn't feel he needs to limit himself to Comforts. I was just curious what others were using here for sunglasses. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    If you're switching her out of the lens type she's using now, why limit your options to Essilor lenses? A Comfort is a very different lens than Ellipse, the fact they're both branded under the Varilux name has little barring on how she'll see out of them. I mean, a comfort should be fine, but so should most normal (non short-corridor) lenses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Varilux Sport.....New lens, props for being the first to bring it to the clients attention......MUUCH more distance, quick jump to intermediate so theres faster clarity at closer object for faster recognition.....it's digital, airwear material and is available in trans G/B, polarized and basic tint, and the tints are presorted to various outdoor activities.......

BAM!!!!
    http://www.essilor.co.uk/lensinfo/pd...20Brochure.pdf
    color brochure link.

I know it seems like im riding on this lens, to be honest, I just ordered it for a client, he should get it in a week, he's also getting an autograph, so ima see if he can accuratley depict the pros despite possible abberations in judgment caused by tint vs clear........

You Guys have any experiance?
    History Reapeats Itself

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    P.S. Did I mention the Sport is DIGITAL!!!!!!
    WHoah, OoOohhhHhhhh, Ahhahahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    History Reapeats Itself

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would recommend the iRx Polaroid Short in 1.56 or Poly. It should be an easy adapt from her clear pair.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have a very similar situation......
    similar Rx as well, was going to give the sport, but it only comes in yellow and brown......to keep him in a digital for his sunglasses in a poly, polarized grey, I was thinking a kodak unique, but thats mandatory alize or avance extra $$, except for the more expensive physio, the other option is the definity.....think it's worth it......he just wants alotta distance-progressive sunglass to walk around with, but he's willing to pay for dig..............

and on the same token, would it be worth it on the regular to give a patient a digital definity versus a regular physio......their similar in $$.......
    History Reapeats Itself

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

progressive suns

Using the Drivewear with a Younger Image will work perfectly, and its now available in poly. However even in plastic if you are using a zyl frame, the patient will be satisfied with the results. The Drivewear lens has unbelievable clarity and the changeability is fantastic. My pair were stolen 10 days ago and I am lost without them. I have worn several different progressives, trying out the designs and the Image is comfortable to wear.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Need help with PAL Rx/sunglasses--pt. problem

Okay, so the woman I talked about in my original post picked up her sunglasses today. She decided to go with the Kate Spade "Jacqueline" zyl frame. She liked them, at least the way they fit and looked on her.
    She went with a Comfort Airwear polarized gray poly carb.

However, she called at the end of the day and left a message. She said that after wearing them awhile, she really noticed an eye strain, almost like they might be too strong, to the point of wanting to take them off--now. She expected them to feel different when she first put them on--but this seemed to worsen as she wore them. It's not a progressive-thing, she said. She's entirely used to that. She's worn Varilux for 14 years. Her everyday glasses are a short corrider (Ellipse.) Loves them.

She said that the everything is where it should be re; distance, close-up, mid. It's just that they seem to strain her eyes. And, when she changes into her Ellipses her eyes have an adjustment period. I can see that.

It doesn't seem like the Rx has changed that much. Here is the new Rx and the one from 2 years ago under it. Can just that amount alter the way she sees out of them? Oh she had us put a slight pano tilt which she says always seems to help with distance vision, ever so slightly though.

New Rx 2008

sphere cyl axis
    OD -4.25 -2.25 20
    OS -5.00 -1.25 170

ADD +2.50

R--Seg Ht. 21
    L--Seg Ht. 22

MonStd
    R 27.5
    L 27.5
    Rx 2006

OD -4.25 -2.00 015
    OS -4.75 -1.50 170
    ADD +2.50

Her old sunglasses were made in 1999. She's worn them almost everyday since then. The recently broke (metal) She found that old Rx. Strange, but her ADD was +3.25!

Rx 1999

R sphere -4.75 cyl -2.00 axis 10
    L -4.50 1.50 axis 176 ADD +3.25

So what do you think is happening? She's not having any of the typical PAL adjustment as I mentioned. Just this feeling of the lenses being too strong...or something! Her eyes feel very tired and achy she said. Worried that it won't go away. Any advice?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone mentioned that both frames that she has choosen have a PD of 74?? With that PD and RX it's a dislike waiting to happen. A good guideline to follow is what maui jim has put out for their perameters on frame size/Patient's PD/RX.
    If the ladies PD is say 60, it means she has 14mm of decentration, not to mention the thickness of those lenses in that cute frame.
    For this RX, smaller frames with less decentration=Happy patient.
    Sosher

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which Rx is she wearing for her dress (non-sun) wear?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The frame PD of the jaqueline is 60+14 = 74mm and her PD is 55 that's a 19mm total decentration or 9.5mm decentration per eye, given that amount of decentration the dihedral angle of the lens is roughly 5 degrees. That's not including the amount of wrap present the lens really needs to be compensated to work effetively. You may also want to try and remove some wrap or add some wrap to the pair to see if you can adjust it to be more comfortable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Make sure It's a polarized lens. No point in a Sunglass that isn't polarized.

Chip
    Although I don't personally disagree, I have several patients who do - and almost all of them ride motorcycle. Cyclists don't like the fact they can't see the wet spot or oil slick on the road. And with all the head movement involved in riding, many don't like the polarizing effect that comes and goes as your head angle changes. I'd never be without 'em myself, but I don't ride.
    I have been fitting the Image for polarized PALs. The NuPolar stuff is nice and the Image, as previously stated, has amazing clarity and width of view in the distance. The reading is poor, but I'm up front with my patients about that and if they do like to regularly read at the beach or in the backyard, we choose a lens that performs better at near. And if you prefer to price your sunwear lower as an incentive, you can't beat the price of the Image.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I would prefer a Physio for this patient, most former Varilux pts do well in this lens and it does have great peripheral over the Comfort, which is more noticable in sunglasses IMO. I am assuming that this frame is a 6 base, I would not fit that RX in an 8 base. And you will need to verfiy cut-out before you finalize a lens choice because not all lenses come in all blank sizes in every base curve. YMMV.

Sharpstick.
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Delete.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also think it could be the size of the new glasses, how big were her broken glasses from 1999? Dot the lenses up and check to make sure they are lined up correctly. You could also look and see how her broken ones line up if she still has them.

The axis on the right eye is also possibly a problem. Does one eye feel better then the other eye?

As far as polarized lenses for sunglasses, I vastly perfer polarized but I think you can have a nice sunglass without it. I have a couple pilot patients and they always get non polarized lenses.

Thread Information