Thread: Wide reading area

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Wide reading area

I have a patient that needs to have a wide reading. he is wearing a comfort now but claims that it is not wide enough. He cannot sacrafice the intermediate area either because he uses them at work. I've advised him to get two pairs but he is convinced he can have just one pair work for him. So my question is what progressive might you use in this circumstance. I contemplated the liberty but thought the intermediate would be too small or relatively non-exsistant. I had a friend optician suggest the AO B Active but I'm no familier with the lens so I'm second guessing it. Then I thought about using Definity after reading the recent post on here but turns out He is using a Package deal with us and the package limits what lenses we are allowed to get. He has a 20mm seg so I'm not too woried about frame size.

any thoughts???

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Initially, I would have said a 2nd pr of computer glasses...then I re-read your post...pt says no to that one! ;)

As far as a PAL goes, I've never had any trouble fitting the Comfort, I have found it to have a nice wide reading area, I've never had a complaint about a small reading area...I'm not sure that you will find a PAL that will satisfy the reading and intermediate needs of the pt while staying within the confines of the package deal. If the pt can swing outside the package deal, I've used some of the digitally processed lenses with success, maybe you could try one of those.

What about an 8x35 trifocal? That'll give a nice wide reading area and he will still have a decent intermediate.

I usually explain to the pt that their PAL is designed for everyday activities, but they may find that they need a more task specific lens, in which case we can get specialty lenses (i.e. computer/reading, etc.) Most pt's understand that and will follow your recommendations.

Hope this helps a little

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post

What about an 8x35 trifocal? That'll give a nice wide reading area and he will still have a decent intermediate.
    This would give him the area he needs. If he wants a progressive what about the Sola Max? It has a wider near and intermediate then most progressives but still has a distance area, too. The distance area isn't as wide as some other progressives, though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell me if I'm wrong.

1. He wants a wider reading area
    2. He doesn't want to compromise distance or intermediate vision
    3. He refuses a second pair
    4. He wants to stay on a "plan" that limits the amount he should pay

Don't fall for it. You are the expert, and he needs to know that you know your stuff. Specifically that this is impossible. If he want's cheap and wide, then a 7x28 is for him.

Now back to the progressive lenses. Remember that is it immpossible to maximize more than 2 of the 3 areas in a progressive (near, intermediate, or distance). According to Sheedy, the Image does a great job of maximizing near and distance and at a great price. Intermediate suffers. If you were to listen to your patient, he needs an Image. The near and the distance are both measurably larger than the Comfort. That's an instant redo though. He will not like it even though it is exactly what he asked for.

Life is too short for cheap people to bleed your time. Save your time for the people willing to spend money.

You might try this approach: "There is no one lens that will fill all you needs perfectly. The lens that gives us the best chance costs $Lots. However for the same price, I can get you a guaranteed solution that involves a second 'computer' or 'office' lens." That's pretty much what Heather said:)

We sell the no-line computer lenses for the same price as a FT35 and offer a substantial discount on a second pair. It could work out to as low as $110 in our shop for the second pair, which is about the same price as the "freeform" upgrade.

BTW, if price were no issue, I would use the Definity long AND STILL recommend the computer lens (FT or no-line)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope I wan't too harsh in my post. nothing personal. I have learned the hard way about trying to accomadate irrational requests that aren't backed by $$. I talk tough because I have to remind myself to take my own advice.

Welcome to the board:cheers:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was thinking of a 14x35 CRT lens. Plenty of mid, plenty of near, and good distance if fit right.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Tell me if I'm wrong.

1. He wants a wider reading area
    2. He doesn't want to compromise distance or intermediate vision
    3. He refuses a second pair
    4. He wants to stay on a "plan" that limits the amount he should pay

Don't fall for it. You are the expert, and he needs to know that you know your stuff. Specifically that this is impossible. If he want's cheap and wide, then a 7x28 is for him.

Now back to the progressive lenses. Remember that is it immpossible to maximize more than 2 of the 3 areas in a progressive (near, intermediate, or distance). According to Sheedy, the Image does a great job of maximizing near and distance and at a great price. Intermediate suffers. If you were to listen to your patient, he needs an Image. The near and the distance are both measurably larger than the Comfort. That's an instant redo though. He will not like it even though it is exactly what he asked for.

Life is too short for cheap people to bleed your time. Save your time for the people willing to spend money.

You might try this approach: "There is no one lens that will fill all you needs perfectly. The lens that gives us the best chance costs $Lots. However for the same price, I can get you a guaranteed solution that involves a second 'computer' or 'office' lens." That's pretty much what Heather said:)

We sell the no-line computer lenses for the same price as a FT35 and offer a substantial discount on a second pair. It could work out to as low as $110 in our shop for the second pair, which is about the same price as the "freeform" upgrade.

BTW, if price were no issue, I would use the Definity long AND STILL recommend the computer lens (FT or no-line)
    You took the words right from my mouth!

Great post..........as usual!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpetro View Post
    I have a patient that needs to have a wide reading. he is wearing a comfort now but claims that it is not wide enough. He cannot sacrafice the intermediate area either because he uses them at work. I've advised him to get two pairs but he is convinced he can have just one pair work for him. So my question is what progressive might you use in this circumstance. I contemplated the liberty but thought the intermediate would be too small or relatively non-exsistant. I had a friend optician suggest the AO B Active but I'm no familier with the lens so I'm second guessing it. Then I thought about using Definity after reading the recent post on here but turns out He is using a Package deal with us and the package limits what lenses we are allowed to get. He has a 20mm seg so I'm not too woried about frame size.

any thoughts???
    Do not use the B Active. It is meant for very wide distance and little to no intermediate and reading.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If he's a hyperope, GP Wide.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that the lens that best fits the criteria is the Image. While the intermediate width isn't the greatest, it does have a nice long corridor that will give him an actual intermediate distance to look through.

I would warn him though that this is still a compromise compared to a task specific pair..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I agree that the lens that best fits the criteria is the Image. While the intermediate width isn't the greatest, it does have a nice long corridor that will give him an actual intermediate distance to look through.
    I agree, however my experience tells me that you can't put a satisfied Comfort wearer into an Image. They don't like the swim.

You guys have got me thinking about making some "Lab" specs in/ a 14x35.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This guy probably isn't going to be happy with any lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I would also echo the Hoya GP Wide if he wants a progressive.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information