Thread: "Painless" Dentistry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Painless" Dentistry

After seeing a thread in the general discussion area about the old way and new way, I decided to share this.
    Sunday afternoon, while sitting at the beach, doing what I do best, chomping on some jalapeno chips and consuming 12oz adult beverages, I cracked a tooth. Of course, I don't have a regular dentist:hammer:, so I called the one wifey uses(regularly) on monday AM. They are nice enough to put me in on tuesday AM at 8 o'clock.

After some poking and x-rays, "yes, it is cracked, but I can save it. Come back at 11:30 and we can fix it." Ok, back to the office for a couple hours, and then back to dentist. After some topical numbing solution, the dentist comes in and sticks some very high tech looking needle in my mouth, and some machine its hooked to starts beeping and chirping. I'm still waiting for the pain, it never comes. About three minutes of this in different areas and done. It took about 10 minutes and I felt like Joan Rivers, "I can't feel my face"

Start the grinding, continue for about 15 minutes, interrupting to take some 3D type pictures with a thin hand held camera. Grind and shoot for another half an hour. All done, and tooth will survive, all be it, with a new crown.

I now inquire when I should come back, and am told to sit tight, and proceed to watch the young dentist design my new crown on some wireless 3D interactive screen. Click, draw, click, click, save, click etc... for about 10 minutes. One more save, then send. Crown will be done in about 15 minutes.

About 20 minutes later, trial fit, with 2 dentists this time. Some small modifications, and starts to glue it in. Some more slight grinding and glue removal, and I'm done.

He never got out of the chair in front of his computer, and I was instructed to the check -out (re bucks up) area. One quick glance at the screen, and I am told $970. I was kind of expecting a little higher, so quickly agree, air miles card given, and return appointment set.

I am walking out the door about 3 hours later all fixed. I am so traumatized by all this, I head home to change, call the office to check in, and head to the beach.:D The day was already shot, so back to the scene of the crime.

So, the old way, or the new way?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Growing up, our family dentist used his assistant instead of novocaine. She either held you down or sat on you until the work was done.

New way is definitely better!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    New way is better than the old way.

Old way helps you learn the techniques and the values of the service - so you can appreciate the new way.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy, thanks for the mental image of a "Hilda" sitting on someone, holding their arms down and head back. I laughed.... :shiner:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I saw a comedian do a routine on painless dentistry. He said that if you really want it to be painless, as soon as the dentist gets beside the chair, grab him by the testicles and tell him "If it hurts me, it'll hurt you too."

:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As you could imagine, learning to drill out screws presented it's own unique auditory issues for me.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many optiboarders, including myself, hover around the 50 years and older mark, and still associate dentistry with pain. I have had some of the most painful and excruciating experiences in the dentists chair, but all more than 25 years ago. My last procedure was a root canal done about a year ago, and I was more than a little surprised to have the entire procedure, including the needles, pain free. I still associate dentistry with a painfull past though, and my wife thinks I'm a big baby.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Many optiboarders, including myself, hover around the 50 years and older mark, and still associate dentistry with pain. I have had some of the most painful and excruciating experiences in the dentists chair, but all more than 25 years ago. My last procedure was a root canal done about a year ago, and I was more than a little surprised to have the entire procedure, including the needles, pain free. I still associate dentistry with a painfull past though, and my wife thinks I'm a big baby.
    I just had a root canal earlier this year and it was totally painless. Then the tooth had to be extracted and it was painless too. Until I woke up anyway.:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    I was from a large family (5 siblings) and growing up if the cavity wasn't very big my mom would opt out of the novacaine to save the $5.00.

Come to think about it I never had a big cavity.

I like old but then again I'm a compulsive truth teller.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just this past week, my son had his 6 mo. cleaning. The hygentist found a "pinhole" cavity. It was his very first and I asked if I should give something for the pain before I brought him in for the filling. She looked at me like I was a nut trying to drug the kid. She said obviously you haven't had a filling done in years!!! Imagine people equate going to the eye dr the same as dentist.

Thread Information