Thread: Lindberg Mounting...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Lindberg Mounting...

This is a question for all you knowledgable Lab Guru's. If you don't know, Lindberg's use a drilled notch and UV adhesive to mount drilled rimless frames. You are supposed to use 1.60 lenses because the adhesive does not work well with Poly. There is no compression mounting like Silhoutte's.

However...

A patient's daughter came in and her new dog had munched her father's Lindberg temples, he got his glasses in LA not at our office(Seattle) . When exchanging the temples I cracked a lens and discovered they were poly... so ouch. Now I am at loss on how to mount the temples because it looks like they did use some kind of adhesive, just not the correct one (the adhesive is not strong, I was able to remove the temples without glue remover).

Is there a poly safe adhesive that they could have used? Superglue? Or am I stuck remaking both lenses into 1.60, or just dry mounting the temples into poly?

Any advice from anyone with Lindberg experience would result in my deepest admiration.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't use Super glue, it contains acetone and will damage your poly lens. The only glue I've had luck on poly is 3M Super Strength Adhesive.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are 2 Loctite products suitable for poly...4850 and 460. Both are available through Breitfeld & Schliekert via Luzerne.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    There are 2 Loctite products suitable for poly...4850 and 460. Both are available through Breitfeld & Schliekert via Luzerne.

Judy, do those have color to them?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No color-transparent

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dry clear, anyway

Take a junk poly lens and try a few different kinds of glue...guerilla glue I think might work

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lindberg is perfect for Trivex!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    This is a question for all you knowledgable Lab Guru's. If you don't know, Lindberg's use a drilled notch and UV adhesive to mount drilled rimless frames. You are supposed to use 1.60 lenses because the adhesive does not work well with Poly. There is no compression mounting like Silhoutte's.

However...

A patient's daughter came in and her new dog had munched her father's Lindberg temples, he got his glasses in LA not at our office(Seattle) . When exchanging the temples I cracked a lens and discovered they were poly... so ouch. Now I am at loss on how to mount the temples because it looks like they did use some kind of adhesive, just not the correct one (the adhesive is not strong, I was able to remove the temples without glue remover).

Is there a poly safe adhesive that they could have used? Superglue? Or am I stuck remaking both lenses into 1.60, or just dry mounting the temples into poly?

Any advice from anyone with Lindberg experience would result in my deepest admiration.

Sharpstick
    We use trivex and do a few Lindbergs per day, it has been a good seller for along time. The poly will show fractures and the 1.6 breaks. The slots need to be the exact size ( I can get for you) and you can do without the glue. But in trivex loctite is fine and suggested.

Let me know if we can help or even edge the lenses for you.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We use trivex and do a few Lindbergs per day, it has been a good seller for along time. The poly will show fractures and the 1.6 breaks. The slots need to be the exact size ( I can get for you) and you can do without the glue. But in trivex loctite is fine and suggested.

Let me know if we can help or even edge the lenses for you.

Craig
    Thanks! I had wondered if Trivex is too hard to get a clean notch... if there was a increased chance of the bit jumping but I guess that depends the type of drill you use (I actually have not touched an edger for years).

My labs hate doing Trivex for anything...

Sharpstick

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EyeFitWell: Aren't all poly lenses junk?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thanks! I had wondered if Trivex is too hard to get a clean notch... if there was a increased chance of the bit jumping but I guess that depends the type of drill you use (I actually have not touched an edger for years).

Sharpstick
    I have heard that if your edgers allow you to grind at a slower speed then trivex is a breeze.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If you are doing Lindbergs or any other drill or groove frame and your are not using Trivex because your labs hate doing Trivex then you need to find some new labs.

JB

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Your lab should love trivex!

Sharpstick
    It is the best overall material to process, if your lab is in-house they need a new roughing wheel from me at www.superabrasive.com Once you put a trivex wheel on any edger it will improve the ability to process all materials better than ever. It make trivex a breeze to edge.
    Let me know!
    Craig
    Technology Broker

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbons View Post
    If you are doing Lindbergs or any other drill or groove frame and your are not using Trivex because your labs hate doing Trivex then you need to find some new labs.

JB
    So true !!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

RE Trivex Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It is the best overall material to process, if your lab is in-house they need a new roughing wheel from me at www.superabrasive.com Once you put a trivex wheel on any edger it will improve the ability to process all materials better than ever. It make trivex a breeze to edge.
    Let me know!
    Craig
    Technology Broker
    I've heard that Trivex eats expensive wheels, does yours last as long as High Index wheel? Can it be put on all edgers?

Also, Lindberg reccommends 1.6 over Trivex.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Trivex is the material of choice for all drill mounts!

I've heard that Trivex eats expensive wheels, does yours last as long as High Index wheel? Can it be put on all edgers?

Also, Lindberg reccommends 1.6 over Trivex.

Sharpstick
    The key to that is no wheel lasts with the new materials! I change my roughing wheel after 3,000-4,000 cuts to keep it sharp. All materials, except cr-39, put great strain on a normal roughing wheel; they were designed for CR-39 and never accounted for the trivex, poly and hi index of today. The best thing you can do for any edger is replace the roughing wheel with the new design. It is 100% better on all edgers for all materials. The edger and your lab techs ears will thank you! :D:D

In Europe, they use almost no trivex yet, but it there is no reason to use 1.6 over trivex. We have done them in-house for over 8 years and the lenses even mount better in trivex. We used to do over 15% re-do for breakage and it is now zero.

Once you try the new wheel and trivex; you will wonder how you ever did it the old way.

Craig
    TEchnology Broker

Thread Information