Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling UV on Polycarb???

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Selling UV on Polycarb???

Just out of curiosity...

Does anyone out there work at an office or chain that actually has a policy of selling UV or Scratch Coating on Polycarbonate (or other materials that already include these features, like Spectralite, et al)?

I was recently price shopping and was quoted a PAL price of $138 "without scratch coating." Of course, I'm wondering, "How does one order a PAL that doesn't have scratch coating?"

Anyway, if you don't want to respond on line, just email me at eyesite@nettally.com

Pete "Curious" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to work for a large chain who charged for scratch resistance on PAL's. The deal was that if you didn't purchase the scratch resistant coating, there was no warranty for scratching.

No, it's not the one y'all are thinking about, so everyone in Cincinnati can just relax!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Pete,

I know that I often get my invoices from my accounts with the "UV" and "RLX" (scratch coating) circled on lens that come with a factory coatings..I just write "NC" on the invoice (got tired of calling again and again telling them it is in the price of the lens from the maker:-)

We (well I) have had meeting after meeting about all this and finally came up with a policy.. most of my accounts sell "replacement policy" they do not call it "scratch coat" policy. Since if I am charging for re-edging and any of other add on that was not covered by the lens company.. they only replace the actual semifinished blanks under their policy so (as you know by running a lab) that we are out the time to re-run the lens (surface) edge and tint (if applicable) so I see nothing unethical for a nominal fee under the name "replacement policy" to at least recoup some of the costs... hey they are willing to spend $150 something for a PAL and than get it replaced for (most of my accounts sell the policy) $25
    Who ever came up with the phrase "scratch coating" should be tossed under the "optical bus" any way..it gives the patients the idea of "my lens are scratch proof" :-)

As for the charging of UV? .. That I do NOT agree with as an add on to lens that are ALREADY UV's from the factory.. You can call it what you like.. I just do not agree with it.

Jeff "some of us do still have some ethics" Trail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many of the opticals in this area will sell "scratch resistant" lenses, but if you want the warranty, you buck up anywhere from $15 to $25 more.

Oh, yes. I worked for a place where UV was an "automatic upgrade" for all lenses, including Poly, H.I. and,yes, GLASS!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All dem fine upstanding O.D.'s around here, tells me that billing for suff like this is the only way you can make money out of the taxpayers (medicare/adult medicare/ medicaid).

The word is: "If in doubt bill the code, if two codes might apply use both or at least the higher of the two.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete, actually most of the chains i have worked for and know about have the computer setup, where if you sell a poly it will not let you sell the uv as an option

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I too used to work for a chain that used uv and scratch coat as an "add on", the opticians would get a spiff on those things. It started to be come a problem when people were selling things just for their personal gain instead of the patients needs. Sometimes there's a fine line between the retail and medical aspect of this busuness

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If I remember correctly, our computer system (at LC) won't allow us to charge for UV on anything but CR-39. Of course, it's not something I've tried to do :bbg:
    As for scratch resistance, all of our lenses are coated already, and there isn't an option in the computer to charge for it. We used to sell the "Duralens" as a "super" scratch resistant coating, but now we use that for most of our plastic lenses.
    Now I just have to get people to stop charging for an edge polish on a +0.25 lens!

Blake

Bad address email on file Cassandra's Avatar

V2K

Blake,

While initially if you choose Spectralite or poly for the lens material, V2K won't allow you to select UV. The problem comes when people do get the upsale after they started to put the order in, so if the selected PSR with UV, then switched to poly, the UV will still be selected until you remove it.

Of course this same type of glitch is how I can get RxCalc to recognize some lenses it tell me doesn't exist anymore...OR ones it will only recognize skus from on the day sold, not the day it was ran.

I haven't had a chance to play with EyeNet yet to see if it can be done on it or not...

Cassandra

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're charging for U.V. on Polycarb lenses, you're not being honest to your clients. Straight and to the point.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never charge for U.V. or Hardcoat on poly......that would not be right IMHO.I tell my customers that when they purchase poly, the u.v. and hardcoat is included.

Bad address email on file Cassandra's Avatar

Smilie Clarification

Just a clarification here. I by no means am saying I condone or use the practice of charging for UV or basic scratch coat on poly. I was just stating to Blake how it can be done. The reason being, I have seen people accidently do this...

I agree it is wrong to charge people for options that are already inherent in the lens. In fact, I always "coach" people when I catch someone doing it back in the lab. This incidently is how I found out some of it was accidental.

Cassandra

Bad address email on file

Money money money!

Hi Pete!
    If there is an extra buck in it some is doing it! I've seen it at a few places. Some people justify it on the scratch coating by the selling of the guarantee. The UV on ploys is sad!
    Tom

Bad address email on file

Confused UV on Poly

Pete,
    Yes..Covering 14 States for Pentax and training employees there are multiple offices that have an add on for poly for UV. This add on normally (as explained) covers warrantee work. I guess their theory is 'Get it when you can! ??? I

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: UV on Poly

I once worked for a certain superoptical chain store where the frame stylists would routinely sell such things as polished edges on +0.25s and 1% tints in order to get their numbers up and their spiffs.

Disturbing

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There's a place here in town that charges $50 for UV protection and $50 for scratch coat. They even do that on Transitions and poly.
    Seems like fraud to me.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Old thread.................

Funny somebody has been reviving an old thread from 2001

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    There's a place here in town that charges $50 for UV protection and $50 for scratch coat. They even do that on Transitions and poly.
    Seems like fraud to me.
    they should charge for the tint in the transitions. I mean who wants transitions that do not change?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    they should charge for the tint in the transitions. I mean who wants transitions that do not change?
    Durn! And I thought they had thought of every sneaky charge....:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Durn! And I thought they had thought of every sneaky charge....:D

you know, under the correct conditions a slightly tinted transitions isn't a bad thing - a transitional lens that starts out a bit darker for example. or a grey transitions that has a hint of color...although to be honest when we do this we don't actually charge extra for it and we won't do more than 10-15 % (although the only people i've had ask for such things are ex-opticians...hmmmm does that mean we're the problem patients in optical shops?)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's how I have seen it done also, you buy the lens that comes with factory SRC but it isn't warrantied from the retailer unless you purchase the warranty. Gary

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    10-11-2001, 01:45 PM
    Origional post, and in fact, a new Optiboard record!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I recall one day while working for LC that I had this really stubborn patient who refused to pay $10 for SRC. He had some insurance (I forget which) that didn't cover the SRC, the patient was supposed to pay $10 for it. The problem was, my manager told us we do not have lenses without SRC, so I was trying to get the guy to pay the $10, and he wouldn't budge. I went to my manager twice to ask what I could do (not charge for SRC, but give it to him anyway since all lenses had SRC, tell him to leave, was almost to the point I was gonna pay the darn ten dollars to get him on his way).
    It was very frustrating, but my manager insisted that I had to get the ten bucks.

If I had it to do over again, I would have explained the situation to the patient and instead of sitting there for 20 minutes repeating over and over that he didn't have a coice, I would have just let him sit there and think about it as long as he wanted to.

*At the time (and I think is true today), LC didn't have a scratch warranty other than the "buy them again for half price" Breakage Protection Plan so not getting SRC didn't make a difference in warranty.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: record

I'm happy to responsible for this record-setting thread revival because such practices as selling UV on Poly continue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Over 8 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Funny somebody has been reviving an old thread from 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Origional post, and in fact, a new Optiboard record!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I'm happy to responsible for this record-setting thread revival because such practices as selling UV on Poly continue.
    And he's right, there are always gonna be sleezy retailers that want to "jack" people! This is the kind of stuff that forever makes customers(patients) think we're always and only in it for the buck! It's why we're considered just a retail outlet for glasses instead of a part of the medical proffession. BTW Chris, I agree about the old posts but as long as there is a search box you'll get them.

Thread Information