Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mo' Stuff about Castor Oil and Dry Eyes

Just for OrangeZero
    Cornea. 2007 Feb;26(2):175-81.
    Links

Effect of an oil-in-water emulsion on the tear physiology of patients with mild to moderate dry eye.

Khanal S, Tomlinson A, Pearce EI, Simmons PA.
    Department of Vision Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
    PURPOSE: To determine the effect of an oil-in-water emulsion eye drop compared with a conventional dry eye supplement (hypromellose) on tear physiology in dry eye. METHODS: A randomized parallel, longitudinal, and investigator-masked study of the efficacy of 1.25% castor oil emulsion and 0.32% hypromellose solution was carried out. A total of 53 patients with mild to moderate dry eye (27 in emulsion group and 26 in hypromellose group) were recruited for the study. Patients were enrolled if they reported at least 2 symptoms on a McMonnies Dry Eye Questionnaire together with 1 of the following screening tests: noninvasive tear breakup time (5-10 seconds) and Schirmer test without anesthesia (2-5 mm in 5 minutes). Patients were instructed to use the test solutions 3 times a day for 30 days. Tear production, evaporation, lipid layer structure, and osmolality were measured before and 30 days after use of the drops. RESULTS: A statistically significant decrease was seen after 1 month in tear evaporation rates with both emulsion (7.25 +/- 5.43 g/m2/h) and hypromellose (2.02 +/- 4.75 g/m2/h). However, the decrease with emulsion was significantly greater than with hypromellose (P < 0.001). Lipid layer structure improved from day 1 to day 30 of the study with the emulsion but not with the hypermellose. No significant changes were seen in tear production and osmolality with either of the drops. CONCLUSIONS: The oil-water emulsion was more effective in reducing tear evaporation than hypromellose after repeated application over a 1-month period. This finding signifies the potential of the emulsion in the management of evaporative dry eye.

Ophthalmology. 2002 Nov;109(11):2030-5.
    Links

Low-concentration homogenized castor oil eye drops for noninflamed obstructive meibomian gland dysfunction.
    Goto E, Shimazaki J, Monden Y, Takano Y, Yagi Y, Shimmura S, Tsubota K.
    Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan.
    OBJECTIVE: We developed low-concentration homogenized castor oil eye drops for the treatment of patients with noninflamed obstructive meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD), a major cause of lipid-deficiency dry eye, and assessed the safety, stability, and efficacy of the eye drops. DESIGN: Randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled crossover clinical trial. PARTICIPANTS: Forty eyes of 20 patients with noninflamed MGD. METHODS: After a preliminary study of eye drops containing castor oil, 2% castor oil and 5% polyoxyethylene castor oil (emulsifier) were mixed to formulate homogenized oil eye drops. The patients were assigned randomly to receive oil eye drops or placebo six times daily for 2 periods of 2 weeks each. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: At the end of each treatment period, we assessed symptoms, tear interference grade, tear evaporation, fluorescein and rose bengal scores, tear break-up time (BUT), and meibomian gland orifice obstruction. Safety and stability tests were also performed. RESULTS: Symptom scores, tear interference grade, tear evaporation test results, rose bengal scores, tear BUT, and orifice obstruction scores after the oil eye drop period showed significant improvement compared with the results after the placebo period. No complications attributable to the eye drops were observed. The oil eye drops were stable when stored at 4 degrees C. CONCLUSIONS: The results indicate that castor oil eye drops are effective and safe in the treatment of MGD. The possible mechanisms of this treatment are improvement of tear stability as a result of lipid spreading, ease of meibum expression, prevention of tear evaporation, and the lubricating effect of the oil eye drops.

Girard LJ.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    hmmm........ Grandmothers have known about that for years.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Good show Chip, we had a lively discussion on that subject a few years ago..........................

There are thousands of applications for the stuff from inducing labor, emptying your bowels to treating eyes. Just had to buy another 42 gallon barrel this week for a few thousand dollars. So if you want to dispense any I have it in stock. :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Chip...

That was an interesting read...I've got dry eyes, have plugs in my lower
    lids and still have trouble, mostly at night...my lids "stick" to my cornea, so I end up with corneal abrasions...doc had me try a night-time ointment...not sure I like it...my eyes feel better at night, but during the day they feel extra sensitive....

Whoa..lots more info than any of you probably want to know about me..:hammer:..the point is, I appreciate the article. :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There are thousands of applications for the stuff from inducing labor, emptying your bowels to treating eyes. Just had to buy another 42 gallon barrel this week for a few thousand dollars. So if you want to dispense any I have it in stock. :bbg:

Holy Mackerel!

I use a bit of castor oil in my home made muzzleloader "lubricants".

Gotta love a little Moose Milk and Moose Snot combined with the smell of burnt black powder!!!

;):cheers::D:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Wonder what the shelf-life is for that stuff, better sell it fast!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile Shake it ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Wonder what the shelf-life is for that stuff, better sell it fast!
    ...................... a few years is good enough, if you empty the stuff into 1 gallon glass bottles. It starts separating after a while abd you can see different layers. Heat it up in a warm water bath and shake back into solution and it is like new.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wouldn't heat it too hot, it clots when it cools. Sometimes it is used for a lubricant for racing engines (it's wonderful) but one has to drain from engine before the engine cools.
    Also supspect it is the main ingredient in 2 cycle oil, hense the need to burn the fuel to empty from engine.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    When applying castor oil to your eyelashes, be very careful that it doesn't get into your eye. In the event that it does, flush your eye with water. Castor oil is generally regarded as safe. However, some people may have an allergic reaction to castor oil.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When using an internet forum be very careful that you don't dig up 11 year old threads. It is generally considered very poor form.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for posting Brenna1904 and Welcome to Optiboard!!!

Too few MD's post these days and I value your perspective.

Thread Information