Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEFINITY,Trivex, and Transitions...........

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

All you have to do.....

to get a thread going is address it to the right people! :D:D
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    "We found that the mean impact resistance of the Phoenix lenses was greater than the level required of eye protector lenses by the standards AS/NZS 1337:1992, ANSI Z87.1-2003 and CSA Z94.3-02. Similar to CR39 and polycarbonate, the application of MAR to Phoenix lenses reduces their impact resistance, however, they provide an acceptable level of impact protection in industrial settings, where there is little danger of exposure to pointed or sharp-edged high-speed missiles.

Submitted: 26 April 2005
    Revised: 5 August 2005
    Accepted for publication: 20 August 2005
    Yay, Hoya!!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Fezz, I did start a thread about this a few weeks ago but it didn't go anywhere.

Thanks for all the links and information, people! :cheers:
    You'll also find that flatter base curves reduce impact resistance, so what's an optician to do skip the AR and thin lenses? No you move on even with AR on trivex it's still a more impact resistant lens than many lenses with AR or not.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow regarding trivex lenses

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Usually a relationship with three ends in disaster, this is the one exception to that rule and has answered my prayers.

My love for DEFINITY lenses is no secret- It's been going on since I first tried the product. The wider field of vision, useable periphery, and ground view advantage have made this lens my progressive of choice for the past 4 or 5 years. My plea's for an edition in Trivex fell on deaf ears at J&J's Spectacle Lens Group. I think they had all they could do to keep up with the demand for the product in CR-39, Poly, and 1.60.

My love for Transitions and Trivex is not a well kept secret either. You can research this by plugging these terms into our search engine and following along the conversation. Please pay particular attention to the "Trivex" wars between Pete Hanlin vs Billy Brock and me. :D:D

In any event, Essilor is now the source for Definity and in my opinion, have carried the product to new heights, releasing a 1.67 version, and a Trivex DEFINITY this past winter. This was an absolutely superior product to the others because of the clarity and weight, but still lacked the one ingredient to make it complete.

A little over a week ago Essilor released the DEFINITY in Trivex Transition in grey or brown. I got mine just before lunch today and I am here to say that this lens is the best product I have ever seen......or seen through!..... That is in my career........and that started officially on August 26th 1959 so I've seen one or two come down the pike. This lens is AWESOME SQUARED! You may recommend this product with complete confidence that the wearer will still thank you for it....even after writing the check.
    Give it a try!
    Harry C Jilson

regarding the trivex lense. I work and have sold the trivex line bifocal and have to comments from customer that the optics is not as good as poly or plastic line bifocal. It was that bad that they changed out from trivex lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blow my own HORN TIME!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by optiman37 View Post
    regarding the trivex lense. I work and have sold the trivex line bifocal and have to comments from customer that the optics is not as good as poly or plastic line bifocal. It was that bad that they changed out from trivex lenses

That is just silly! Come on.....I think that there may be more to the patients complaints than Trivex. Swing over to the General optics Forum. I posted some info for you in another thread concerning this very issue!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry You tell em FEZZY!

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    That is just silly! Come on.....I think that there may be more to the patients complaints than Trivex. Swing over to the General optics Forum. I posted some info for you in another thread concerning this very issue!
    This is what you are talking about.

Below is a post from Optiboard and the comparison is interesting! It shows
    thickness is not an issue, but Trivex is clearly superior in the weight and
    optics to poly and the other materials.
    This information can be made into a very compelling marketing piece and help
    further the cause of no more poly. Hope it helps get the marketing juices
    flowing.

Thicknesses at 50mm, using -1.50 sph equiv.

CR-39 = 3.2mm
    Trivex = 2.6mm
    Poly = 2.5mm
    1.67 = 2.3mm

1.67 is the thinnest by 0.2mm, let's look at the sacrifice

Chromatic Aberration threshold of 0.1

CR-39 = 33mm from OC = 100 percent of the lens area is below threshold
    Trivex = 25mm from OC = 100 percent of the lens area is below threshold
    Poly = 17mm from OC = 68 percent of the lens area is below the threshold
    1.67 = 18mm from OC = 72 percent of the lens area is below threshold

Weight:

CR-39 = 6.7g
    Trivex = 4.5g
    Poly = 4.7g
    1.67 = 5.2g

Trivex seems to be the best choice to me in this scenario, lighter in
    weight, provides crisp optics throughout a generous portion of the lens, and
    only slightly thicker, however if we were to surface trivex down to 1.0mm CT
    then it would be thinner as well so it's obviously the better choice here.
    Craig
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig; 08-19-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: chNE

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In any event, Essilor is now the source for Definity and in my opinion, have carried the product to new heights, releasing a 1.67 version, and a Trivex DEFINITY this past winter. Harry C Jilson
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Glad you like the product, Harry. I still prefer polycarbonate as a substrate- and my blood still runs Varilux blue- but the fact that professionals such as yourself (and many others who have communicated with me over the years) find the performance of DEFINITY to be exceptional is not lost on me. Pete
    I tried the JJ lens when it came out about five years ago. I have them in front of me- the fitting cross is 1mm above the 180 (they're poly). Back then, the lens was not atoric, used a standard inset, and had no off-axis optimizations. A portion of the Add was placed on the back using free-form generators.

Question.

Is this lens (the JJ Definity) the same lens design as the Essilor Definity? If not, what is different?
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Fining Trivex Lens

Should we use two steps fining for Trivex lens?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong View Post
    Should we use two steps fining for Trivex lens?

Sam,

Here is everything you wanted, need, and could care less about Trivex lenses!

Try here:

http://www.youngeroptics.com/trilogy.aspx

They have a whole section on processing Trivex!

This is also a good site!

http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/ch...ptical/Trivex/

Good luck!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Sam,

Here is everything you wanted, need, and could care less about Trivex lenses!

Try here:

http://www.youngeroptics.com/trilogy.aspx

They have a whole section on processing Trivex!

This is also a good site!

http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/ch...ptical/Trivex/

Good luck!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Fezz, thanks a lot. :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've asked this a couple of times now(in other threads) and no one has answered. So, I'd still like to know how the ground view advantage effects the size of the reading area in the Definity short? Do they take this zone in to account when they list the minimum seg ht? Thanks-kevin

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    I've asked this a couple of times now(in other threads) and no one has answered. So, I'd still like to know how the ground view advantage effects the size of the reading area in the Definity short? Do they take this zone in to account when they list the minimum seg ht? Thanks-kevin
    You could send your question via email to the Definity group at Essilor:

http://www.Definity.com/Professional...Contact+Us.asp

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    You could send your question via email to the Definity group at Essilor:

http://www.Definity.com/Professional...Contact+Us.asp

There is an Essilor rep in this thread and others who swear by this lens. Yet, three days later, still no response. Something is starting to smell funny.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

K- what are you smelling??

Can you possibly think there is a sinister plot afoot because of your question?

Kevin,
    I do not now, nor have I ever worn the DEFINITY short so I am at a loss to give you an answer from a wearers standpoint but I think your question more properly should be, does the reading area affect the ground view advantage, rather than the other way round. You must remember that the reading area is the reason for the lens to begin with, and the ground view advantage was a spin off of the lens design. It was never the reason J&J designed the lens. I have only sold a few shorts and have had no complaints. I am not avoiding your question but I am not answering it either.

I would think if the answer were that important to you that you would have followed Rinsie's advice and gotten it straight from the horses mouth..as it were./
    hcj
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you possibly think there is a sinister plot afoot because of your question?

Kevin,
    I do not now, nor have I ever worn the DEFINITY short so I am at a loss to give you an answer from a wearers standpoint but I think your question more properly should be, does the reading area affect the ground view advantage, rather than the other way round. You must remember that the reading area is the reason for the lens to begin with, and the ground view advantage was a spin off of the lens design. It was never the reason J&J designed the lens. I have only sold a few shorts and have had no complaints. I am not avoiding your question but I am not answering it either.

I would think if the answer were that important to you that you would have followed Rinsie's advice and gotten it straight from the horses mouth..as it were./
    hcj
    OK, maybe the smell was the Bojangles biscuit I had for breakfast. I wanted the more objective opinions of practioners and wearers. Maybe I'll have to ask the manufacturer, but I trust your opinions more. What the heck ,I'll ask Essilor and see what they have to say.

thanks-kevin

HJC-Looking at the lens diagram, I see your point regarding the phrasing of my question. I guess a better question would be, if you set the bifocal ht at 15mm how far down from the fitting cross does the GVA start?
    Last edited by KStraker; 09-09-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    My newest glasses are Definity Short. I think I have them at 18, but I'm not sure. I notice no groundview advantage. The reading area goes all the way to the bottom.

I do think the reading area at 18 is not very deep. It's wide enough, but deeper would be better. The intermediate is good as is the distance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    My newest glasses are Definity Short. I think I have them at 18, but I'm not sure. I notice no groundview advantage. The reading area goes all the way to the bottom.

I do think the reading area at 18 is not very deep. It's wide enough, but deeper would be better. The intermediate is good as is the distance.
    Thanks for the opinion. I guess with free form generators you can put the bifocal wherever you want it, with respect to the GVA area. This is speculation since the people at Essilor have not answered my email.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    why not just email Pete Hanlin directly. If he can't answer your question, he can hook you up with someone who can.I imagine they get one or two inquiries a day and perhaps are running behind.
    Lord Byron

Thread Information