Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optronics 7E

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

optronics 7E

I have a 7E that were trying to use for cutting high wrap frames. We have the multi cutterhead bit with the shelving tool but we cant seem to get it right. Were also having a problem setting up the drill attachment..Does anyone have any experience with this?..if so what advice could you give me?
    equal opportunity offender!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

M.e.i, m.e.i, m.e.i.....

Billy, Billy, Billy,

Just send them to Pech and let the MEI edger do the work flawlessly like they are made to!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Can't say that we are having those problems...but call tech support. They are usually very helpful with this sort of thing.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    National Optronics has one of the better customer support systems out there. Call them

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    I seen it, it's cute, but it costs BIG bucks. :( Pech might be able to afford one, but who else can??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Can't say that we are having those problems...but call tech support. They are usually very helpful with this sort of thing.

Yea, we're not having any issues either, but we don't have the super cool multicutter head. Just your standard ol' blade. And we're doing some higher wraps. We tend to do a .80 bevel (when lens curve and frame curve are closely matched) so we don't get the white ring around the lens

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have called tech support 800 times and were still not realy getting anywhere...and were not getting any new machines Fezz!!...c'mon, someone help please..im going freakin nutts!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Flat bevel.............

Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post
    .............................and were not getting any new machines Fezz!!...c'mon, someone help please..im going freakin nutts!!
    trick from the old days..........if you can make a flat bevel on the edger and then V bevel by hand you have a temporary solution.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

The lost art of the handstone...

Here's what you do. I have a 6E and love it (the O.S. functionality is basically the same) but it just can't do everything, you need to do a little touch-up here or there and in the case of suns. I create a V bevel on my handstone. You will want to select a Fixed bevel and run it between .90 and 1.10. This will eliminate ring-around-the-polarized. Then apply a V bevel using your handstone, works every time.

Even though these new machines are whiz-bang, you still need to put a little brain/hand power behind your work to get optimal results.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    National Optronics has one of the better customer support systems out there. Call them

They do OK for an Essilor company!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    bhess25,

Seriously Dude......Scriptlifter and Mr. Ryser I think have your solution. You may have to break down and hand bevel. I wish i could be more supportive, but my Horizon II can only DREAM of what your Optronics 7 can do!

Good luck!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Pech has 4 MEI edgers; Lets go see them in person!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I seen it, it's cute, but it costs BIG bucks. :( Pech might be able to afford one, but who else can??
    I was at Pech when the first one was not even running yet and now they are running 3 as specialty machines and the new "Double D" runs both lenses at the same time, but is only for more normal work. It does 50 pair per hour; Yes i said 50 pair per hour. It did that the first hour they started to run it.

Pech Optical just told me Stephano- the President of MEI- has been the best vendor they have ever had. That should say it all!

They are looking at adding more finishing equipment at Expo West, there is some new edgers being released that are "supposed to offer some features not available on the MEI edgers"; but are they available and do they run 24/7 as the MEI's have done?

The MEi edgers are a great example of expensive technology that once you use it, can't believe you ever lived without it!

If you take one trip to Pech Optical to meet the people who run this equipment and process over 1,500 finished jobs per day, it is very impressive. They have visitors on a daily basis from all over the industry who come to see the facility and how they are able to do the unique work they offer. Get on a plane and go to Iowa, it is worth the trip.

I just had an idea!:idea::idea::idea::idea:

Fezz, Let me know and I will meet you and all he other names but no faces there for an optiboard party in Iowa. I will get Pech to help sponsor an open meeting and tour for Optiboard members. Paid members of course!
    Sounds like a great idea on how to spend Bob's money and not tell him yet!

If people are interested in having a Optiboard meeting at Pech, I will take on the responsibility to arrange a nice affair. It would have time for speakers and could be the start of an annual Optiboard meeting.

All optical people should visit the labs they use to see the facilities and most importantly- meet the people who you deal with on a daily basis. I am sure it will not the last time you decide to visit and see the people who become your friends and business partner.

Craig

I have been to many labs and learn something new each time. Ask the people who run the equipment which lenses and materials they prefer to process; that is valuable information and helps prevent a lab from having spoilage 5 times on a give job.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    II just had an idea!:idea::idea::idea::idea:

Fezz, Let me know and I will meet you and all he other names but no faces there for an optiboard party in Iowa. I will get Pech to help sponsor an open meeting and tour for Optiboard members. Paid members of course!

If people are interested in having a Optiboard meeting at Pech, I will take on the responsibility to arrange a nice affair. It would have time for speakers and could be the start of an annual Optiboard meeting.

Craig
    I am picking up what you are dropping! Sounds like a good idea! I want to add:

Maybe Bob could put me on the payroll as the East Coast, My Town only, no-road travel sales rep and pay for my flight out and back to impress the hell out of me! He should also put Harry Chiling and Brother Johns on the payroll as well! We travel in three's....safer that way!

Lean on him.....I think we can make this work!!!

;):cheers::D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I was at Pech when the first one was not even running yet and now they are running 3 as specialty machines and the new "Double D" runs both lenses at the same time, but is only for more normal work. It does 50 pair per hour; Yes i said 50 pair per hour. It did that the first hour they started to run it.

Pech Optical just told me Stephano- the President of MEI- has been the best vendor they have ever had. That should say it all!

They are looking at adding more finishing equipment at Expo West, there is some new edgers being released that are "supposed to offer some features not available on the MEI edgers"; but are they available and do they run 24/7 as the MEI's have done?

The MEi edgers are a great example of expensive technology that once you use it, can't believe you ever lived without it!

If you take one trip to Pech Optical to meet the people who run this equipment and process over 1,500 finished jobs per day, it is very impressive. They have visitors on a daily basis from all over the industry who come to see the facility and how they are able to do the unique work they offer. Get on a plane and go to Iowa, it is worth the trip.

I just had an idea!:idea::idea::idea::idea:

All optical people should visit the labs they use to see the facilities and most importantly- meet the people who you deal with on a daily basis. I am sure it will not the last time you decide to visit and see the people who become your friends and business partner.

Craig

I have been to many labs and learn something new each time. Ask the people who run the equipment which lenses and materials they prefer to process; that is valuable information and helps prevent a lab from having spoilage 5 times on a give job.
    I know Bob Pech, worked for him back when he was the manager at Walman's in Sioux City. Actually, my lab can do what his does only not as fast. Any good, local, small, independent lab can.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 08-14-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added, Deleted, Changed

Occupation
    Let us not hijack this thread with talk of MEI edgers and Pech. Bhess has a problem that needs to be solved (and I don't have the answer)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    we have called tech support 800 times and were still not realy getting anywhere...and were not getting any new machines Fezz!!...c'mon, someone help please..im going freakin nutts!!
    Did you talk to Rex at Optronics? He's always been able to fix anything I had wrong.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Lenny

Lenny at Optronics is pretty sharp too.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    They do OK for an Essilor company!
    We can't all be perfect !!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    I have a 7E that were trying to use for cutting high wrap frames. We have the multi cutterhead bit with the shelving tool but we cant seem to get it right. Were also having a problem setting up the drill attachment..Does anyone have any experience with this?..if so what advice could you give me?
    I use this edger and the multi cutter. For wraps I use the Hi wrap cutter. I try to keep most minus and low plus Rx's on a 6 Base lens, higher plus on 8 base.
    I do not use the drill attachment, but have tested it on our machine. We did set it up and test drills worked fine. What problem do you have?
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got it...I got it...i used the multi cutter with a front bevel...using high wrap 1...worked perfect...i also would recomend NOT using cr39 or HI poly is the only one that doesnt chip when inserting...damn that realy sucked..glad thats over!!!

Thanks Everyone!!

-Billy

P.S. now how do you keep it from eating up high RX's in poly and chipping low power cr39?

Occupation
    P.S. now how do you keep it from eating up high RX's in poly and chipping low power cr39?

Trade it in on something else??

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I use a Horizon II (with patternless upgrade) for wraps with a Hi-Wrap blade and match the lens to the frame curve whenever possible, although I'll run more minus jobs on a 6-base with an 8-base bevel so it doesn't distort the frame shape once the lenses are in.

I've learned to ONLY use poly for this though. It should be your first rule for this type of frame. If you're cutting higher minus poly, the uncut can get pretty thick. I've found using one of those Teflon-style rikki pads to be rather helpful to completely stop chuck slippage.
    -Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    New blades, adjust the rotation speed and feed speed settings Create new settings for various thickness and materials with these new speed settings.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh and by the way..we are looking into that MEI..just in case anyone wants to get a little jelouse!!!

Thread Information