Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Letter to OptiBoard Sponsors..................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Open Letter to OptiBoard Sponsors..................

Dear OptiBoard Sponsor,

As you are well aware, the Optiboard has grown into an important communication tool in the optical industry over the last few years.

When looking at threads where a person in Malaysia looks for help with AR coating problems and another in Italy offers a solution, anybody will realize that this forum is now at a stage where it reaches nearly every corner of the globe.

When asking an optical question on Google the first answers that pop up are OptiBoard threads dealing with the issue in question. One other reason of the popularity of this forum.

OptiBoard is not only an amusement tool for bored optical people, but a valuable gate for people to ask for, give and offer solutions that arise in the professional life all the time.

All the above is why I have been active in this forum, I have learned many things over the years and have also been able to give some. The credit goes to Steve Machol who has built up this and run it in a very professional and fair way.

Any OptiBoard member is invited to add their thoughts to this letter.

regards

Chris Ryser

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well said...

I hope the sponsors here will take note that this is a much-needed service...
    Thanks,
    Bill

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps many of us have taken Optiboard for granted. As far as a tool for Opticians, it's the best thing on the net. Anytime(and I mean anytime)I have a dilemna that needs input or a technical problem that needs expertise this is where I come. I have been known to say "Wait, I'll ask Optiboard" and voila! literally within minutes I have answers.

And yes, it is a place to go for entertainment and amusement. The optical business is an odd duck. Part medical, part retail and so always a font of stories, situational comedys, adventures and mis-adventures. A stress reliever for me and always a source of laughter at work "Come here, you guys have to read this one!"

Also, and let's not forget the fact that Optiboard leads us to new technology and products. Do I believe everything the manufacturer's rep tells me about their product? Nope. Do I believe a product is worth trying if I have heard it from several Optiboard members? You bet.

I cannot imagine who in their right mind(perhaps that is the problem)would want to personally attack this board and it's creator. I sincerely hope the sponsors realize the benefits of supporting this venue as well as the damage to their own credibility that would be done by discontinuing support. As is said often here "Behold the power of Optiboard".

I am now personally writing the sponsors and signing my "real name" to the letters.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I appreciate Optiboard so much. . . !

I found it when it was a job board and have been amazed by its growth. I visit it everyday and learn something new. I want to take a moment to thank Transitions, Visionweb & Leo. I use and reccommend your products and services. I'm not sure what's going on and I don't really want to know, but please don't let one bad apple ruin it for all of us. Thank you!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thank you sponsors!

I have written to the Optiboard sponsors already. But, I felt it may be important for the sponsors and any members who CARE, who may read this, to view a thread that I feel really solidifies how important and influential Optiboard really is:

www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20139

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper This forum is world-class!!! Thanks to Steve.

In my opinion, this forum is the industry leader and a great way for optical people all over the world to interact.

The growth of the posts and depth of some of the discussions go all over the board. From a "rather silly question" that will endure the rath of the "old farts" with some verbal abuse to the a post by Harry and Darryl that makes me realize how little I know about optics.

Optiboard is the best way for the optical community to stay in touch with other professionals to keep informed of industry new as it occurs.

Craig
    Technology Broker and supporter of Optiboard

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Amen...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Dear OptiBoard Sponsor,

As you are well aware, the Optiboard has grown into an important communication tool in the optical industry over the last few years.

When looking at threads where a person in Malaysia looks for help with AR coating problems and another in Italy offers a solution, anybody will realize that this forum is now at a stage where it reaches nearly every corner of the globe.

When asking an optical question on Google the first answers that pop up are OptiBoard threads dealing with the issue in question. One other reason of the popularity of this forum.

OptiBoard is not only an amusement tool for bored optical people, but a valuable gate for people to ask for, give and offer solutions that arise in the professional life all the time.

All the above is why I have been active in this forum, I have learned many things over the years and have also been able to give some. The credit goes to Steve Machol who has built up this and run it in a very professional and fair way.

Any OptiBoard member is invited to add their thoughts to this letter.

regards

Chris Ryser
    I have the feeling this thread is going to turn into a type of petition so let me give a hearty HERE HERE!! to this letter.

Those of a religious persuasion may want to take a few moments to pray for this troubled individual. More than likely Steve is the recipient of something unrelated to him but is the unconscious scapegoat of this troubled soul. Whoever you are I hope you contact someone who can help you. And I sincerely wish you peace.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello, all!

As you can see I have a pretty low number of posts, but I have to say that I feel like I've been here forever! I found this site by accident while doing some research before opening my shop...I am soooo glad I found it and became a member!

I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate all of the infomation that I gain from optiboarders. Like cocoisland58, and many others, anytime I have a question, I have gotten an answer (answers) from optiboard. Being at work alone, I don't have the benefit of another optician to bounce things off of, and for me optiboard is a great way to get lots of advice quickly...

But, you know it's more than that, its about comradery...as different as we all are, and as spread out as we are, there is that common thread that leads us here and makes us want to learn and share!

Just a guess here, but I would imagine that if we had the chance, and we met a fellow-optiboarder, we would talk like we were old friends! :cheers:

Sincerely,
    Heather :)

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been a member of OptiBoard for less than a year, but have been reading this forum for well over 3 years. In that time I have learned more about the optical industry than I ever could have just locally.

Steve has a great thing going here. Anyone who would complain about him or OptiBoard is obviously someone who just doesn't get it. To approach the sponsors directly without airing your grievences to Steve or the board itself is cowardly.

To the person who is causing this:
    Grow up! Steve has worked hard to make OptiBoard what it is today. Granted, not everyone gets along all the time and not everyone agrees everytime. This is what makes the Board work. The exchange of ideas and information is what is esential to continued learning in the field. Obviously, you do not agree with some of the opinions expressed here. I would be willing to bet that not everything on here has been offensive to you. If it had, you would not have come back to the forum.

To the sponsors of OptiBoard:
    Please read what has been written by the other members of the Board. This is an open forum for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. I don't know if anyone has ever added it up, but I would be willing to bet there is well over 500 years of experience available from just the most frequent posters. All of the training and schooling available would never allow access to that amount of knowledge in one place.
    So please, if you receive complaints about this board or Steve personally, remember that one person is a minute part of the OptiBoard as a whole.

Steve:
    Thank you so very much for this wonderful forum. I am sending my membership payment to you next week. I look forward to many more years of knowledge from OptiBoard.

Bob Faktor, ABOC
    Round Rock, TX

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Heather A;255954]Hello, all!

As you can see I have a pretty low number of posts, but I have to say that I feel like I've been here forever! I found this site by accident while doing some research before opening my shop...I am soooo glad I found it and became a member!

I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate all of the infomation that I gain from optiboarders. Like cocoisland58, and many others, anytime I have a question, I have gotten an answer (answers) from optiboard. Being at work alone, I don't have the benefit of another optician to bounce things off of, and for me optiboard is a great way to get lots of advice quickly...

But, you know it's more than that, its about comradery...as different as we all are, and as spread out as we are, there is that common thread that leads us here and makes us want to learn and share!

Just a guess here, but I would imagine that if we had the chance, and we met a fellow-optiboarder, we would talk like we were old friends! :cheers:

Here Here Heather, You read my mind, And for the person who said she works alone and does not have another optician to bounce off of,
    YES YOU DO, its all of us at Optiboard.. it would be a carnage to see this board dissapear, I have learned so much, FROM wow PEAPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD..
    Please Optiboard, Don't go anywhere...

Ginny Evans,ABOC
    (real name)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm living proof that an old dog can learn new tricks. I've been in optics for going on 34 years, but it's the last few that I've spent on this board that have really expanded my optical knowledge.

I use Vision Web as a direct result of hearing about it here. I recommend Transitions more now than I did in the past due to what I've gathered from others here. I use Zeiss products more now than in the past, directly due to the information and opinions I've gotten since coming here. I became awear of the fantastic service and products available from Vision Systems Inc. as a direct result of Optiboard. ( And anybody that doesn't check with Leo at VSI before purchasing equiptment is a fool!!!)

This board is an in-valuable resource for anyone in optics. To the sponsors....I wish to give my thanks ( and business) to you! If you have heard ANY negative responce from someone, please disregard as the ravings of a madman.

And to the madman, go jump in a lake....( prefferably head first in the shallow end..)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optoboard is:

Optoboard is:
    A place to listen
    A place to learn.
    A place to improve your skill.
    A place to interact with your peers
    A place to build your business
    A place to solve problems professional....and sometimes personal
    A place to ***** and moan
    A place to laugh....and sometimes cry
    A place to make new friends

In short, its a wonderful place, and all anyone has to do to see this for themselves, is to read on in these forums
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optiboard

This forum is one of the resources we need in this industry. It allows us a mechanism to dialogue and often disagree openly. I learn each and every day from the advice and counsel I get from the board, and encourage all of the wonderful sponsors to continue their support.

Steve, don't let the negative SOBs get you down!

Warren

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    This forum is one of the resources we need in this industry. It allows us a mechanism to dialogue and often disagree openly. I learn each and every day from the advice and counsel I get from the board, and encourage all of the wonderful sponsors to continue their support.
    Amen to Warren, Chris, and all the others who've already posted.

To our OptiBoard Sponsors:

The main reason why OptiBoard is the fine online community that it is, is Steve Machol. Steve has always, and continues to, run this board in a professional and responsible way. He understands the fine line between civil discourse/disagreement and malicious behavior/slander, and he enforces that line on this board with fairness and rigor.

It isn't easy running an online board like this. It takes time and skill. The optical community may have more than its share of eccentric individuals (I'm one, for sure); our opinions are diverse. Steve manages all of this as well, probably better, than any of the rest of us could.

To Steve:

If you don't know already how much we appreciate you and appreciate what you've created here, please read all these posts again. Whoever flamed you must have some problems which compromise his/her ability to see clearly what this community is all about. Thank you, as always, for bringing OptiBoard to life and maintaining the professional demeanor of this board no matter what.

'nuff said.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks to the....

sponsors of Optiboard and thanks to Steve for providing it. Enough could not be said as to what it contributes to our industry. It's the goto place for SOOOOOO many people who want to learn and share.:)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optiboard is simply the best. There is nothing else out there that comes close to what this board does.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Being an optician can be lonely. You talk about index of refraction and anti-reflective at the dinner table and all you get are blank stares. People understand me here. I can ask a question and get professional answers. I can vent about the geniuses we encounter so often in this profession, and everyone comforts me. I can say "I passed my exam!!!" and I get tons of Congrats! and Way To Go's! I can say I am no longer working as an Optician, and I am still welcomed anyway. Steve has contributed so much to this board and we have a great resource and community because of him. I love Optiboard!

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not as eloquent (or nearly as bright) as many on this board. I found optiboard googleing information on a PAL and I stuck around because of the members. The information and camaraderie is great the only thing better would be if we really could buy each other a beer over the ether.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Thanks everyone. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In a non-licensed state, this is as close to an apprenticeship that many of us can get. The knowledge and the community shared here are invaluable to both veterans and newcomers alike.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Optoboard is:
    A place to listen
    A place to learn.
    A place to improve your skill.
    A place to interact with your peers
    A place to build your business
    A place to solve problems professional....and sometimes personal
    A place to ***** and moan
    A place to laugh....and sometimes cry
    A place to make new friends

In short, its a wonderful place, and all anyone has to do to see this for themselves, is to read on in these forums

I love this little poem - we should make it into Christmas cards to promote the site -

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    Being an optician can be lonely. You talk about index of refraction and anti-reflective at the dinner table and all you get are blank stares. People understand me here. I can ask a question and get professional answers. I can vent about the geniuses we encounter so often in this profession, and everyone comforts me. I can say "I passed my exam!!!" and I get tons of Congrats! and Way To Go's! I can say I am no longer working as an Optician, and I am still welcomed anyway. Steve has contributed so much to this board and we have a great resource and community because of him. I love Optiboard!

Very well said - :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    You talk about index of refraction and anti-reflective at the dinner table and all you get are blank stares.
    LOL..that's soo true...sometimes when I tell my family something that any optician would laugh about...all I get are stares and the sound of crickets chirping in the background! :) It is nice to have a place to go that is full of people that understand!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Having been here for years and along for the ride with much of the drama I just want to say that this is a community in the true sense of the word. It is an amazing resource, sounding board, trouble shooting place and the idea that one angry person could attack the man who has spent so much of his time and effort to provide it for us is terrible. There is no other optical forum anywhere that has consistantly provided the service that this one does. I appreciate the sponsors who support it and keep that in mind when I am out in the field talking about their products.

Lots of us don't agree about certain things but we ALL agree that this is our career, whichever "branch" of the optical tree we belong to. That common ground is vital to our survival in this ever changing industry.

Thanks you sponsors and thank you Steve (keep your chin up my friend!xoxoxo)
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Huge fan

This is a great forum. Community driven communication allows open sharing and philosophies which only strengthens the posts when they're done with respect. Keep it coming.

Thread Information