Thread: Markings for Comfort 360?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Markings for Comfort 360?

Hi all!
    Does anyone happen to know what the markings are for a Varilux Comfort 360 1.60? I ordered it from the lab and the first job came back as a regular Comfort 1.60, I sent it back, and the markings don't look any different but they are insisting that it is the 360. Hmmm?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Refer to this thread that covered this topic:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28442
    RT

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Marking for the Comfort 360 from lens guru!

Quote Originally Posted by bmintzer7 View Post
    Hi all!
    Does anyone happen to know what the markings are for a Varilux Comfort 360 1.60? I ordered it from the lab and the first job came back as a regular Comfort 1.60, I sent it back, and the markings don't look any different but they are insisting that it is the 360. Hmmm?
    The guru comes in again. Attached is the layout chart.

Use the Unique trivex next time.

Craig
    Technology Broker
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Craig; 08-08-2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: no attachment

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

comfort 360 markings

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion. I haven't used this board very often, and I had no idea what a wonderful resource it is. What a wealth of knowledge you all are.
    I work for Vision Associates and we have to order all of our product through their lab directly, which is ELOA of NJ. We don't get much option outside of ordering Varilux products.
    I have what's probably a stupid question about clocking the back side of the lens. If it's a 1.6 aspheric, wouldn't it be just that, aspheric? Regardless of it being freeform or not? Or is the asphericity only on the front surface?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I haven't looked at the other thread referenced above, but Varilux products with 360 Optimization are produced using the same semi-finished blanks as the traditional versions of the products. Therefore, the markings- which are on the front surface- will be identical between the traditional and 360 versions.

One way to tell a 360 lens is it will always have a Crizal surface (that's the only way to order the product).

As far as clocking the back surface, I actually experimented with that to see if the ECP could verify a lens is 360. Although the back surface of a 360 lens will be irregularly aspheric, it is very very difficult to verify using a standard lens clock (and unless you have both a traditional and 360 version of the same power, it is almost impossible).

Hope this helps,
    Pete
    Technical Marketing Manager
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    I haven't looked at the other thread referenced above, but Varilux products with 360 Optimization are produced using the same semi-finished blanks as the traditional versions of the products. Therefore, the markings- which are on the front surface- will be identical between the traditional and 360 versions.

One way to tell a 360 lens is it will always have a Crizal surface (that's the only way to order the product).

As far as clocking the back surface, I actually experimented with that to see if the ECP could verify a lens is 360. Although the back surface of a 360 lens will be irregularly aspheric, it is very very difficult to verify using a standard lens clock (and unless you have both a traditional and 360 version of the same power, it is almost impossible).

Hope this helps,
    Pete
    Essilor of America
    I haven't had any issues with clocking and telling the difference between aspheric curves and spherical, but it does take some practice and does require you to find and check it along the primary or secondary meridians.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.thelensguru.com this is one of the best sites to bookmark and have ready at all times. I don't know how much time Tony put into this but I cannot thank him enough. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post

Hope this helps,
    Pete
    Essilor of America
    If you have a floresent tube light over head, you may be able to detect an irregular surface by running the reflection accross the back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    http://www.thelensguru.com this is one of the best sites to bookmark and have ready at all times. I don't know howmuch time Tony put into this but I cannot thank him enough. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Gracias Bob. I have those vsp codes included now too and will update the site tonite with them.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Gracias Bob. I have those vsp codes included now too and will update the site tonite with them.
    You are a God among Optiboarders!!!:D

Maybe we can get Fezz to give up his, "The Man, The Myth, The Legend" for you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    You are a God among Optiboarders!!!:D
    Maybe we can get Fezz to give up his, "The Man, The Myth, The Legend" for you.
    I'm definitely not worthy. The title belongs to the man that wears it best...thanks tho!

Thread Information