Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap optician...won't pay for CE...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I'm just so accustomed to those relationships you mentioned...side by side, seperate entrances, leases, and so on. I had no idea opticians could hire ODs.

I guess I need to get out more often.
    So where are you from...besides between a rock and a hard place?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    So where are you from...besides between a rock and a hard place?
    Ohio/Pa/Va
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    More than the food. It was for not getting paid for his attendance. So he was forced to take two days off without pay to attend this conference.

Of course, I am sure John you would accept a job where you do not get paid, but instead your employer just pays to educate you. Especially in something you have no desire to learn.
    For-Life, I think you’ve had way too much “See Clearly” and not enough “Read more Carefully”. 1st of all, the person in the other thread is “female”. She even mentioned that her husband was upset that she didn’t get paid for her weekend away from home. This might even have been a clue for you that there is more to her story than what she posted. And she didn’t say anything about being “forced”. This is what you “read”, not what she “said”. You also never heard the other side, her employer’s side, all you have done is assumed that she was mistreated. Another employee brutalized by her capitalistic master. Is this how you reach all of your conclusions? Take the side that fits with your own view and pass judgment without hearing the whole story? I hate to burst you bubble but down here in the “States”, I think it may be illegal for an employer to force any employee to do anything.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What people don't realize is the CE keeps the OD's license current. The OD could threaten to let his license expire, or practice across state lines if possible. If there are no other OD's banging on the Opticians door, I think he/she would change their tune rather quickly.

Why wouldn't you want an employee (OD or optician) be at the top of their game through continuing education courses? It just doesn't make sense...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    What people don't realize is the CE keeps the OD's license current. The OD could threaten to let his license expire...

Then the OD would be totally unemployable!:hammer:

That would really teach the boss man a lesson! !
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seems to me that if a person has a license/designation (OD, MD, LDO, RN, MAI, etc.) and if that person's license/designation requires them to have a certain amount of CE, then that person is the one responsible to pay for getting those CE's.

In my case, I feel like that license is mine..I earned it through blood, sweat and tears...by golly, I'm gonna keep it up, on my own. I guess that's the control-freak in me coming out! :bbg:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What people don't realize is the CE keeps the OD's license current. The OD could threaten to let his license expire, or practice across state lines if possible. If there are no other OD's banging on the Opticians door, I think he/she would change their tune rather quickly.

Why wouldn't you want an employee (OD or optician) be at the top of their game through continuing education courses? It just doesn't make sense...
    What keep the OD/Opticians license current is a paycheck. I doubt that if the optician didn't pay for the courses or CE that the OD would let their license lapse that's ridiculous.

I would want to keep an employeee at the top of their game so I would pay them accordingly. You wen to school and got your optometry degree befoe you were employable as an optometrist and you did it knowing that you would need to do CE's to maintain your license to practice. The same applies here. It benefits YOU to educate and stay at the top of your game, if you did gain more education and more skills you would more than likely want to be compensated for thos skills well you'll get a heck of a lot more if you pay your way and get a bigger salary than if I pay your way and your stay stagnant. It's more than likely in the other scenario you'll leave for greener pastures, with the opticians investment.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just to set the record straight ...the OD is employed by the optician owner of the optical shop. This is not a lease arrangement. The CE is not for license renewal. It is for a refresher course in Low Vision to add these services to the practice. It was the ODs idea. There are no comissions paid here.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just to set the record straight ...the OD is employed by the optician owner of the optical shop. This is not a lease arrangement. The CE is not for license renewal. It is for a refresher course in Low Vision to add these services to the practice. It was the ODs idea. There are no comissions paid here.
    Thank you clarifying the situation...I'm sorry, I thought it was CE for license renewal...in a case like this, maybe the optician, in the future, would be willing to split the cost with the OD?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    CE still benefits the employer... Liability, diagnosotic testing, etc., etc...

Occupation
    If a new service or product is added to the office the doctor would have a better time convincing the optician or me for instance if I saw a business plan.

It is a business and I know that their is money in LV but is it in the billing (exam fees) or materials and think about the negative effects, their is no quick LV exam so it will cut into refractions in the office, if the office isn't busy it might be a worthy venture, if the doctor typically has a down day or slow day it might be a worthy venture, but if the practice is busy it might not be very profitable. On another note the initial investment in a materials kit is going to be steep, how long would you project untill this is recouped? Does the doctors past track record show he/she is capable of this kind of practice? Is he/she passionate about LV? Does the doctor keep exam fees, or do they have a salary? Would the doctor be willign to meet a quota?

In the state I live I would not be allowed to hire and OD directly, also I definately in my state or yours or any as far as I know wouldn't be able ask a doctor to meet any quota so that last question is more a question about is their a steady enough patient base to recoupe costs and make this an integral part of the practice. Also the practice may be built aroudn the optician owner, why would he want to introduce a service that would focus the practice aorund the doctor. The doctor in this scenario may just be a cog in the wheel that is that practice replaceable, but a LV doctor isn't as easy to come by.

Personally I said it before and I say it again it's not unreasonable to get paid fro your education, it's unreasonable to expect it.

Occupation
    CE still benefits the employer... Liability, diagnosotic testing, etc., etc...
    From and Optician hiring an Optometrist standpoint, it's not necessarily a employer employee thing any longer there are just some things by law I can't ask you to do that I could ask an employee to do so the dynamics is a bit different plus I am biased (don't even act like you didn't know) so I would naturally default to a position that woul upset you, it's just in the cosmos. :D

Thread Information