Thread: lab rats..am I the only one this frustrated?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Idea

Guys, do any of you have accounts with Signet Armorlite having the same problems as I am? Probably backorders to the tune of 30% on every order and the ones I do get are from two or three different locations so I have to pay crazy shipping costs...
    Here is an example.. I ordered 7 pair of Sunsensors..only SEVEN..now three pair are still back ordered (going on two weeks) I got 1 & 1/2 from CA. and was charged $13 shipping for 2nd day (which I got in 3 days)and 2 1/2 pairs from TN. charged $14 for that shipping !! So now I'm into having $27 shipping on about $50 worth of lens..and when I get the back order stuff sometimes a pair at a time get charged the $13 AGAIN.. I had one pair that was backordered for (get this) since NOVEMBER of last year I got last month and they actually shiiped it OVERNITE and charged me $17 after I waited for it all that time.. like that job was still sitting here a half year later...so they thought they would rush it to me?
    Was just wondering if I'm the only guy getting it from this company?
    There I have vented for the day.. and boy do I feel better (but not richer)

Jeff" buying my lotto ticket tonight hoping I can retire" Trail :)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Jeff,
    Most labs I deal with usually use "ship or cancel" with their orders - short orders or regular stock orders. They would rather either 1)change manuf/style/base and use what they have (or can get - possibly from another lab) or 2)request again with the next shipment and/or batch of orders. And I don't mean just w/ SA, they do this with all vendors. Certainly helps from getting those multiple shipping costs and unknown deliveries. It also helps keep everyone in your lab from second guessing on what's on order, when is it geting here, etc.
    I realize this doesn't answer/help your current frustrations, but perhaps a change in tactics might be in order.

Occupation

Jeff, I know here in CA we have a person that deals just with us labs-that is her whole job (and boy do we keep her busy!) If she has a counterpart out your way, maybe you can address it with them. I agree with you that sucks!! Now, for some shameless self-promotion prefaced by my stating I work for HOLA...Very soon the Hoya SunGrey 4 will be out. It is also mid index and to the best of my knowledge the same technology as the SS (ie. not imbibed) which will give lots of people an additional option. I remember an earlier post from you about not being able to get certain products and pardon my naivete but does that mean none of our stuff as well? At all? Is it the same deal as being as Essilor distributor, all or nothing?? The lens division is separate from us so can you get stuff from them on an as needed basis? If I remember correctly we did carry the Hoyalux GP before we were part of the "club" which leads me to believe it is possible...

Occupation

JR

ALREADY told them that..if you don't have it DON'T backorder it..all my accounts (lens companies) I have that set up..They still do it though even though I have to call everytime.. the thing that torks me the most is they pull my order from 2 or 3 places EVERY TIME and I get charged 3 times the shipping everytime... this is the only company I have this trouble with .. talking to my rep there is a waste of time.

Karen,

I can't get any HOYA product at all because I'm not an "authorized" Hoya lab ..
    Same applies for Varilux .. the thing that really bothered me about Varilux is they wanted to SEE all my accounts, my books etc. etc. .. NO WAY am I'm going to let someone doing the exact same thing I'm doing see my client list and my prices etc. etc.. if you owned an optical shop and and you wanted to sell Luxotica frames but they told you you had to give them a list of ALL your RX records and they have a Lens Crafter right down the road from you would you want to do that? I wouldn't think so :)
    Oh well thats the way it goes now adays us mid sized to small sized labs are slowly getting squeezed out of the market place ..
    I guess it's smart business because if you can control the width of distribution of your product market then you can inflate the price of your product.
    I'm not looking to expand my wholesale let Essilor and Hoya have their "pushing match"
    It's smart move, business wise.. but the people who will pay the price in the end will be the opticians .. my own humble opinion...me, I'm in the middle of working something out where I'll be done with the whole "optical mess" in a month or so :)

Jeff

Occupation

Jeff, can I just say that you leaving the industry would be a loss to the rest of us. I understand why you would want to but people with knowledge such as your are a dying breed. Besides, how can I move to Florida and work for you if you do that??? :) Remember...you and Darris are going to go into business together with a lab/dispensary and all of us are coming to join you in the optical Utopia!!

[This message has been edited by karen (edited 07-13-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Ehllo. On to another subject regarding back orders.

Anyone having B/O problems with contact lens orders from Hydron, specifically around the -5.00D range??

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Thread Information