Thread: Orange peel

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Orange peel

Hello Everybody , Need Help here! May I know what is the cause of "orange peel" on lens surface after AR coat and dipcoat process? It only appears 1 to 2 days after the processes .

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Been there, experienced that. If you are using a Ionsource Mark I (haven't seen it on a Mark II), look at your voltage power. It could be too high. One of the layers may be affected by it.

Hope this helps.

Occupation
    Hello Websta, thanks for your kind reply.

Just to confirm- do you mean the ionsource etching is too much for it.. and that may be the cause of "orange peel"?

Occupation
    If by etching you mean the clean cycle in the chamber, then no. It relates more to one of the layers you have in your stack that you put on with the ionsource. It could be titanium, aluminium, zirconium or any other chemical used in the make up of your AR coat.

We found that the ionsource "tightened" up the specific layer too much due to the anode voltage. But to change this you will need to adjust the anode current and neutralisation current too (in some cases)

The best person to speak with would be the machine manufacturers and their technicians.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Occupation

Orange peel / green

Thanks for your reply again. We will look into this matter with your previous information.

here is another problem that we are facing now - CHANGE OF UV COLOUR AFTER DIPCOAT
    When we added UV400 treatment (tinting) - our lens will change into greenish yellow colour after DIP COAT. May I know which may be the biggest cause here?

Quote Originally Posted by Websta View Post
    If by etching you mean the clean cycle in the chamber, then no. It relates more to one of the layers you have in your stack that you put on with the ionsource. It could be titanium, aluminium, zirconium or any other chemical used in the make up of your AR coat.

We found that the ionsource "tightened" up the specific layer too much due to the anode voltage. But to change this you will need to adjust the anode current and neutralisation current too (in some cases)

The best person to speak with would be the machine manufacturers and their technicians.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Occupation
    Difficult to say what the problem is. Have you checked the lenses prior to sending through dip coating? Does the lens travel with any other tinted lenses? The other tinted lenses may "leach" their colour and cause your untinted lenses to go slightly green. This will happen more often if your baths are not recirculating.

Or perhaps the combination of chemicals in your tank affects the UV. I know we had some problems a while back in that the UV was "oily" and not compatible with our Potassium Hydroxide. I seem to think that they may have come out with a slight green tinge to them. This may be another cause to look into.

I would check the lenses prior to dipping, and send them alone through the process. You will then be able to see what the true result will be.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Concerning orang peel I suggest you to veriufy th ehard coat layer last first thing.
    When you have O.P. is the HC layer to be deformed (some time caused from a AR too tensioned).
    I suggest you:
    1 verify th of hard coat, verify by therma shok test the hard coat quallity (if you have yet a lot of orange peel afther TST you have a troubles)

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    sorry it's start too erly... 2 veryfy the hard layer + AR with TST , If you need TST specification you can find on : http://www.colts-laboratories.com/ In general you can conside Orange peel like a effect of tensil stress versus compressive stress of differet layer, so it's importand verify what is the layer caused the trouble,

Thread Information