Thread: Z87-2 help...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Z87-2 help...

I need a fast response if anyone knows for sure--- Do I have to have safety lenses engraved if I make Rx lenses in a frame with Z87-2 stamped on it?? I'll check back here in an hour or two, thanks. Chris.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    yes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks, I had an account send me a pair to do. They already have an Rx pair of lenses in them from somewhere else and they have no engravings and have a bevel which I am unable to duplicate anyhow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Bummer!

Yeah, if it's regular 3.0ct stuff, it needs a mark and if it's 2.0 then it needs that mark with a "+"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe you could etch it in with a screwdriver...;)

And don't forget to etch some pal markings next time too.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    silly question. of course all Z87 compliant safety specs need to be engraved with your monogram. The only exception is when the patient is requesting safety thickness in dress framesinwhich case you have the obligation of informing the patient that the fram is not OSHA compliant for safety eyewear and should not be worn as such. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Rx lenses monogram on the temple corner and Plano safety RX's in top dead center.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tee Hee! I made popcorn!
    Last edited by EyeFitWell; 07-29-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why silly...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Altman View Post
    silly question...
    Please explain to me why this is a 'silly question'. This forum was designed and implemented so we could all have someone to lean on when we get in a bind or don't know or understand something. Reply posts should never begin with those words as any question posted here is generally from someone who genuinely needs a correct answer or an opinion so they can perform their job. I'm happy for you that you have aquired the knowledge to offer an intelligent and useful post, but I take exception to what I feel is the demeaning nature of it.
    I happen to have had the pleasure of working with the author of this post for a year and I can assure you he's no dummy. He is in a new environment at a new job requiring a little different skill set from his previous position.

Sorry for the rant Jess. I don't mean any offense. I only feel your comment was not in keeping with the spirit of this board.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ranting okay

Please note that I too am a novice in this forum but not in the industry and my apologies. The statement was not aimed at you but at the question...you post you are dispensing optician...well as such you should be aware of basic OSHA regulations on safety/dress eyewear or you should deem yourself as an Optician Apprentice. I hope that your knowledge continues to grow with the assistance of the many skilled and trained expertise located on this wonderful website. I certainly have been enlightened on many occasions upon reading the postings. Again my apologies and I forthwit will tread a little softer when replying to all.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... you should deem yourself as an Optician Apprentice.
    Ok, fine. I'm an optician apprentice and have been for 30 years then. Consider me deemed. I hope I'm able to get up to the level of the big boys and girls before I die tho...

And I was just starting to feel so good about myself.......

Take care Jess. I look forward to your posts in the future. :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you for your honesty TLG. Once again I have been slain by the double-edged sword of my own tongue:hammer:. For that may the Optical Gods shine down upon your production and may your lenses turn out flawless!:cheers:
    Jess

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Free CEC

here is link that some of you might like to look at. From our very own Barry Santini.
    http://www.2020mag.com/CE/TabViewTes...9/Default.aspx

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jess: You're getting your regulatory agencies mixed up. OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) deals with workplace safety issues. Although OSHA may mandate the use of safety eyewear for certain conditions, they have nothing to do with the production of them. There is no such things as an "OSHA Compliant" frame.

FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has requirements for safety spectacles concerning impact resistance. This is the famed "drop ball" test.

ANSI (American National Standards Institute) is a non-govermental body that puts forth standards in a variety of industries. ANSI is the body that drafted ANSI Z87.1 which covers many aspects of saftey eyewear that extends well beyond just impact resistance standards. Safety eyewear is stamped with ANSI Z87.1 markings to indicate which minimum thickness the frame can handle.
    RT

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    RT,
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't implying thata OSHA created the standard, but that ANSI created the standard and OSHA adopted those standards and holdss all workplaces accountable to be "Compliant" with those standards should they require safety eyewear, therefore if they are not marked with the Z87 stamp then they are considered non-compliant with OSHA, hence the reason I say OSHA compliant frames.

Here is a link some may find useful.http://www.eyetopics.com/articles/49...-Overview.html

Jess

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Not silly

silly question. of course all Z87 compliant safety specs need to be engraved with your monogram. The only exception is when the patient is requesting safety thickness in dress framesinwhich case you have the obligation of informing the patient that the fram is not OSHA compliant for safety eyewear and should not be worn as such. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Rx lenses monogram on the temple corner and Plano safety RX's in top dead center.
    Z87 frames can have non-safety lenses if you remove the Z87 marking from the frame. The lenses don't need to be engraved as neither the frame nor the lenses will be marked "safety".

Thread Information