Thread: Looking young...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Looking young...

I am a 26 year old licensed dispensing optician. I started in optics at 18 so even though I have some expirience under my belt, customers or patients have a hard time taking me seriously. I work in an ophthalmology office so the majority of the patients are over 50 years old which makes matters worse for me. I've been told I look to be about 20 years old...and although this may be great when I am in my 40's and older...I am having trouble gaining peoples respect now. Sure there are things I don't know, but I like to think I have quite a good base of knowledge to work with. I feel like I am going to burn out too quickly if this continues...it takes so much out of me to constantly defend myself. Does anyone know of what I can say or do to make my situation a little more tolerable...or even a good place for me in the industry until I "grow up"...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Base of Knowledge....

If you are confident in your education and training, then you should not have to defend yourself. Carry yourself in a professional manner and it will come. Dress can have a great deal to do with it as well. Also, let me advise you to take some classes that will better prepare you for the "people" skills needed. I gained a great deal of self-confidence thorugh my work in the Jaycees and Dale Carnegie leadership courses. Most community colleges and universities offer something similar through continuing education courses. Just knowing "optics" is not enough to be a successful professional. You must be able to relate to folks in a way they will appreciate. You are not alone in this problem. I only wish (at age 55) I had a similar one!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh I had the same problem. I was ID'ed at a liquor store when I was 32, the drinking age in BC is nineteen. At a new church, I was encouraged to join the "College and Careers" group when I was over thirty. The oldest member of the group was 22. In optical, I always had little or no credibility, and customers often looked for older looking staff, who, they wrongly assumed, had much more experience. Use the same trick police officers use to gain more authority and credibility when they otherwise look like they should be in school or at home playing video games with their adolecent friends...grow a 'stache, and leave a little bit of 5 o'clock shadow...it really works..unless of course you happen to be female. Then this reply would fall under the category of "really bad advice."
    As Mr McDonald points out, attitude is important, and dressing well and confidently can also make a major impact on your credibility. Otherwise, be patient...you'll look older sooner than you think...or wish.
    good luck,
    David- 4 stinkin' months to 50-Nelson

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am the same age you are, and was in the industry until last year. I started at 14. It took a while for me to establish myself, but once I did, people had no problem dealing with me. Here are a few tips:

- Dress the part. You do not have to dress old, but maybe a nice business suit if you are a girl or a shirt and slacks if you are a guy will help make you more professional. I do not know what you wear now, so take it with a grain of salt. Also, make sure that you do not have anything showing that looks young. If you are a guy, remove the piercings, if you have them. If you are a girl, make sure you only use minimal accessories with earings and such. Do not wear scent, because that will make you look young (my opinion). Of course, do not show any tattoos. Wear proper dress shoes, not runners. Keep a respectful hair cut.

Think about the most conservative person you know. If they would object, do not wear it.

- It is all about attitude and confidence. If you act nervous, they can tell and will not trust you. If you act confident then it will make you more trustworthy.

- If you have a license, wear it!

- Most of all, do not get bothered if they want to see someone else. I know and you know that you can do a great job helping that person, but sometimes they just want to see someone else. Don't let it get to you.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I too had the same problem. My advice is:

!. Dress the part (read "Dress For Sucess For Women")

2. Watch your language, speak as someone about 10 years older than you are.

3. Act 10 years older than you are.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What they're saying and by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Magpetro View Post
    I am a 26 year old licensed dispensing optician. I started in optics at 18 so even though I have some expirience under my belt, customers or patients have a hard time taking me seriously. I work in an ophthalmology office so the majority of the patients are over 50 years old which makes matters worse for me. I've been told I look to be about 20 years old...and although this may be great when I am in my 40's and older...I am having trouble gaining peoples respect now. Sure there are things I don't know, but I like to think I have quite a good base of knowledge to work with. I feel like I am going to burn out too quickly if this continues...it takes so much out of me to constantly defend myself. Does anyone know of what I can say or do to make my situation a little more tolerable...or even a good place for me in the industry until I "grow up"...
    Don't blink or you'll open your eyes and 20+ years will have gone by in a flash and you'll look like many of us!:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel like I am going to burn out too quickly if this continues...it takes so much out of me to constantly defend myself.
    You are in the wrong place. I am 50 this year and even I don't like to work with all the older clientel exclusively so never an MD's office for me. You may be much happier professionally in an office that is fresher, trendier and more appreciative of your youthful abilities. I love having a twenty something employee on the sales floor. She has a different insight into fashion, a wonderful exhuberance for the job and let's face it..a lot more energy than I have anymore.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    it takes so much out of me to constantly defend myself.
    To whom are you constantly having to defend yourself to? Certainly not the boss which is all that really matters. Maybe it's not your age that is the issue . . . maybe it's something else.

Do you walk around the office popping gum? Do you use the word "like" in every sentence? Do you have green or purple hair? How about a Jesus tongue stud? Whenever not actually performing a task are you "texting?"

Cm'mon . . . you ain't the first youngster to ever work in an ophthalmology office. Just be patient. Your hair will fall from your head and start growing from your nose and ears soon enough.

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I am the same age you are, and was in the industry until last year. I started at 14. It took a while for me to establish myself, but once I did, people had no problem dealing with me. Here are a few tips:

- Dress the part. You do not have to dress old, but maybe a nice business suit if you are a girl or a shirt and slacks if you are a guy will help make you more professional. I do not know what you wear now, so take it with a grain of salt. Also, make sure that you do not have anything showing that looks young. If you are a guy, remove the piercings, if you have them. If you are a girl, make sure you only use minimal accessories with earings and such. Do not wear scent, because that will make you look young (my opinion). Of course, do not show any tattoos. Wear proper dress shoes, not runners. Keep a respectful hair cut.

Think about the most conservative person you know. If they would object, do not wear it.

- It is all about attitude and confidence. If you act nervous, they can tell and will not trust you. If you act confident then it will make you more trustworthy.

- If you have a license, wear it!

- Most of all, do not get bothered if they want to see someone else. I know and you know that you can do a great job helping that person, but sometimes they just want to see someone else. Don't let it get to you.

I completely agree with this. I started at fifteen and it took a while for people to take me seriously. Even now, occasionally I have someone questioning my experience and I just respond politely letting them know that I have almost eight years of experience in a couple different optical settings along with my certification. That usually makes them feel more comfortable working with me. There are those patients, however, who will always want to hear it from someone else no matter how much experience you, or they, have. It's not worth the energy to take it personally. :)

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I read your post, my first thought was, "dress the part." Then I read everyone else's posts and found the same advice :bbg:

For me, "dress the part" means, dress conservatively. Maybe discreet pearl earrings/necklace if you're a woman, and definitely long-sleeve shirt and tie if you're a guy. You get the general idea. Dress as if you're the most mature, composed person on the planet, and then act that way. Once the patients start to work with you, they'll find out how much you know from how you help them.

Let us know whether any of these posts make sense to you, and let us know what you do and how it works out. :cheers:
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This will age ya!

You could always drink more like I do!

Then you could look as tired, old, haggered, and shady as I do!!!

:cheers::shiner::cheers:;)

(For you wingnuts who might believe I meant the above..your only half right)

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You could always drink more like I do!

Then you could look as tired, old, haggered, and shady as I do!!!

:cheers::shiner::cheers:;)

(For you wingnuts who might believe I meant the above..your only half right)
    Aw c'mon, Fezz, we see your picture now in ECP, and you sure don't look old, tired or haggered. As for shady . . . ;)
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If your a guy grow a goatee, :D thats what I did, otherwise do what everyone else is saying, dress and act the part of a professional.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Looks like a lot of us can relate to your story.

Ditto to dressing the part.

What kind of vibe is the office since you work for an MD? More Medical? If so, put on a lab coat. Make sure that bad boy is always clean and pressed while using it. If white, don't forget to use some bleach!! If you can afford it, have it professionally cleaned and pressed. I'm sure you are getting what I am laying down. :bbg:

Do you wear a name tag? If not, put one on. If you are certified, put that on the tag too!

Be sure to introduce yourself to every patient you help and yes, shake their hand.

Educate, Educate Educate... your patient on what will work for their visual needs.

In the end, give each patient your business card (another hand shake) and let them know you'll see them in (blank blank time) when they come in for their custom eyewear.

Ok, I know.. A little carried away.. But give it a try if you're not doing it now.

Be the best in Knowledge and Service and I am sure those 50+'s will respect you back.

Go get um Tiger!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In our business our appearance directly affects how our clients perceive our professional stature. Face it, people are shallow and if the optician they're working with fails to present themselves in a particular manner they may never move beyond their initial impression based upon our attire. However, remember, we need to separate the opinion based upon office wear from an opinion derived from our personal presentation and confidence level. Someone of low self esteem and confidence exudes these foibles, as much as a confident professional does their positive estimation of their abilities.

Ask your co-workers what they feel is contributing to your needing to defend your age and experience. If this is too difficult, ask your friends and family. And ask them to be perfectly blunt and understand what they may say could be hurtful but at the same time may be what you really need to hear to improve your professional presentation.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have run into this before as well, I am 27 now started @ 19. At 5"2' 109lbs. I always get that I don't look old enough for anything. But never related to the way I preform at work. I have never been questioned about my age when I was trying to sell ARC or PALS. In my office 3 of us wear scrubs and another girl wears dress clothes even though we all have the option I feel people gain your trust more readily when you're dressed the part. As well as the way you are treating, talking and relating to your patients. Age needs no explination what so ever. Experience may, so simply tell them that you have been in this field atleast 8 years that will also gain the respect you deserve. Looking young is a blessing not a curse enjoy it and Carry yourself well and don't worry about explaining your age there is no time to go over that. They should be far more worried about their Cataracts, Glaucoma, ARMD. Good luck but as the years go by I'm sure this will no longer be an issue.;)

Thread Information