Thread: Consumers and OptiBoard

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Consumers and OptiBoard

OptiBoard was started in 1995 as a resource for 'Eyecare Professionals'. However recently it is gaining many newer members who are consumers looking for advice and information.

The problem is that almost all of these consumer posts are asking for specific diagnostic information, which is not ethical to give without a face-to-face examination. Since that is obviously something that cannot be done over the Web, these kinds of posts are not appropriate for OptiBoard.

Unfortunately when we attempt to politley point this out, some people become extremely rude and demanding - acting as if OptiBoard is their own resource and we owe them something. It's unfortunate that a few consumers act this way, but the result is that these kinds of posts severely detract from OptiBoard being the 'Premier Online Community for Eyecare Professionals.'

Therefore we have been discussing this issue rather extensively among the most seasoned OptiBoarders in an effort to decide how to hanle this.

One option was to create a separate forum for consumers in which they could posts their questions. However during the course of this discussion many consumers came onto OptiBoard and proceeded to violate the forum posting guidelines and even became rude when they were asked to stop. This itself changed a lot of minds and the consensus started moving towards the alternative - banning consumer posts outright.

However many OptiBoarder's do feel that consumer questions related to general eyewear and eyecare topics are fine as long as they are not tied to a specific Rx or diagnosis.

Given all of this, I have decided that we need to strictly and vigoruosly enforce the existing posting guidelines and remove or close all consumer posts that are attempts to get diagnostic help or information. The guideline is:

"Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed."

We will give this a try for a while to see how it goes. However if we continue to be ignored, treated rudely and abused by people who violate these guidelines, we may be forced to not allow any consumer questions at all.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    It appears that some Consumers are insisting on breaking the forum rules and asking for specific diagnostic advice. Then when we close their threads they get abusive and insulting.

Because of the actions of these individuals, we are being forcced to institute a new policy. Any post by a consumer that mentions a specific Rx or medical condition will be closed or deleted without comment or explanation.

It's a shame that it has come to this but since some people insist on being abusive and breaking the rules, we have no choice. After all this is a forum for Eyecare Professionals, not for consumers and their issues.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Update: From this point on, the Optical Forums are reserved for Eyecare Professionals only. Consumers can only post in the 'Just Conversation' forum.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Brian Park

Consumers, technical posts

I viewed Optiboard forums (as a consumer), for several months when I was having problems with a new pair of progressive lenses, as I have had many times before. I intended to use Optiboard as an information source only, and not sign up or post.

Then I saw a post by DRK in the progressive forum that cited the very problem I had over the years! (I was not crazy as the doctor stated). Because of that post, I had the inspiration to "chase that problem down" and come up with a solution. I signed up to provide positive feedback to DRK because the question fielded to other members of the Board went unanswered. I also think DRK, as well as other practitioners who fit progressives, would be interested in hearing about how I solved that problem. I am a Senior Scientist with the US army, and have a strong optics background, so my approach is definitely technical.

I wish to do this without offending anyone, or be perceived as trying to evade Board rules. Is it proper (and possible) for me to contact DRK via a private message and give my explanation, and allow that member to decide whether the post is appropriate? Or perhaps this can occur by some other mechanism the Board deems appropriate?

If given the permission to do so, I do not intend to post more often than this one time, unless requested by Board members in the optical field)

Thread Information