Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheap dr?? Reimbursment for meals durring seminars...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Cheap dr?? Reimbursment for meals durring seminars...

I work for a vision center in Washington state. I recently was sent out of town to Seattle for a seminar and to take the test for CPO. The test was paid for as well as 2 classes I took. I had to drive my own car and was paid for the gas I used, not mileage. I did not get paid for the 2 days I was absent from work. I was given a “stipend” for my meals of 5.00 for lunch and 10.00 for dinner. I find this ridiculous, considering I can not even get a meal at taco bell for those amounts. I would like to know what other employers pay for meals. I was not given any amount for breakfast and was told to eat at the hotel “free breakfast” for that meal. Thanks for any thoughts on this. I am disappointed in my employer for being so cheap….

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If they sent you, you should receive gas and real food.

I (not in the industry) get mileage of $0.38 cents a kilometre, or I used the admin vehicle and they cover the gas. $10 for breakfast, $15 for lunch, $25 for dinner. Taxi's, Hotels, and other necessities covered (for instance, I needed them to cover the internet because I needed it for work. Key thing is I needed it for work, not wanted it to come to Optiboard) and $10 a day for incidentials.

Now, yours does not have to be as formal, but he could ahve kept it fair. Gas, reimburse receipts, ect.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does he buy your meal at home? Ya gotta eat, it's part of living...

I'll use the comparision I give my wife when we go on vacation. When figuring our costs for travel and such, you can't add in the food too. You are going to eat whether you or at home or on vaction. The only thing you are really out is gas, hotels and "trinkets"....

Not trying to be mean here, but you would have eaten wherever you were those days.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Normal 'per diem' usually runs around $40/day for meals and incidentals. Mileage and lodging should be covered if you were sent as part of work. Pay for the time you were there is not normally applicable if you are being paid per diem.

This is not necessarily law, just my experiences.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Does he buy your meal at home? Ya gotta eat, it's part of living...

I'll use the comparision I give my wife when we go on vacation. When figuring our costs for travel and such, you can't add in the food too. You are going to eat whether you or at home or on vaction. The only thing you are really out is gas, hotels and "trinkets"....

Not trying to be mean here, but you would have eaten wherever you were those days.
    Problem is that eating out is far more expensive than eating at home

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Normal 'per diem' usually runs around $40/day for meals and incidentals. Mileage and lodging should be covered if you were sent as part of work. Pay for the time you were there is not normally applicable if you are being paid per diem.

This is not necessarily law, just my experiences.
    That is poor. Why should you take a pay cut, because they want you to get training? The per diem is there to cover the expenses of the trip, not to replace salary.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Problem is that eating out is far more expensive than eating at home

Depends on what you eat. He got 15 whole bucks a day to eat!.....

Sausage biscuit, hash brown and OJ.....$2.12
    Jumbo Jack, fries, coke.......................3.88
    Hungry Man Microwave meal................1.97

$7.03 left for a six pack of Bush 16 oncers, CMT on cable TV, a bed and free ice.......Priceless!

:D:cheers::D

Occupation

$7.03 left for a six pack of Bush 16 oncers, CMT on cable TV, a bed and free ice.......Priceless!

destroy your colon eating that stuff

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    destroy your colon eating that stuff
    In 2 days away from home?

Jalvers should have been paid for those 2 days though. He was at work!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you were sent to this seminar you should be paid for the two days of work you missed. How far did you have to drive?

I agree your boss was being cheap.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are you going to get a raise after passing the CPO exam? If you are getting a raise, consider your expenses as an investment.

Harry

Occupation
    Yes, your boss was cheap. A per diem is supposed to bridge the gap between the cost of eating at home and the cost of eating out. And you should definitely be paid for the 2 days - you may want to check what the employment laws are in your state. You may not have been in the practice, but you were "working" those 2 days. These costs should be tax deductible to your employer. You may also be able to deduct the "real cost" vs what you were reimbursed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let me take another angle!!!

I am going to the Opticians Assoc. of America meeting in Sept. in Cincinnati, Oh. I am taking 4 days off of work. This goes against my "sick days", "mental health days", "personal days", "vacation days" and any other classification of days off. I am driving myself out to the meeting to the tune of 550 miles, 9 hours and 15 minutes. I drive a "Cowboy Cadillac", aka Chevy Silverado. You figure out the gas expense. I am taking the ABO-Advanced Review Course at an out-of-pocket expense of $299. The hotel is setting me back $120 a night x for four nights. When I am in the company of like minded individuals, I like to float the bill for any expenses (Harry Chiling has been more than gracious-and I owe him big-time). I tend to imbibe in the Nectar of the Gods=BEER. I can easily ring up a month or two's worth of the average Joe's mortgage payment in bar tabs alone. IF Harry, Ziggy and OptiDonn show......we are talking a couple large folks. Its OK, I have broad shoulders. And Gosh forbid if Mr. Jeff Smith shows.................OPEN WALLET, fork out a BUNCH of DEAD PRESIDENTS!!!!

Now these Boys like to grasp all that life has to offer. They work hard and play hard. These guys are BROTHERS. My fun is making sure they have fun! Poker Parties, Booze, Ladies of the Night, Optical Books, Discontinued frames at blow-out prices.....Dudes....I got your back. No sweat. It all comes out in the wash!!!

Now...all of the time away, I will be paying for around the clock care for my dear Mom. Poor Mom stroked out on us about two months ago. Poor Pops can't foot the bill, he lost everything including the $0.17 that was hidden in the couch cushions, when we had to close our two OPTICAL stores. Yeah, Dads, sis, and bro..outta work...gotta love the optical business.....belly up Baby!

I also tip....TOO well. I like to get serviced. That costs a bunch. But, when we party....you are never searching for another beer, or shot. I tip the barstaff ahead of time just to keep the ice cubes cold, and the conversation flowing. I introduce my friends and make a point(**GREASE PALMS**) to express how much pleasure it brings me that my friends never want for anything when I am around. I also make it a point to grab the hotel cleaning staff and let them know that I have lots of stuff that I want to "protect" in my hotel room. I assure them (GREASE PALMS) that if they keep their nose clean and watch my stuff...I really appreciate it!

Did my "Boss" send me away? NO. I wouldn't go if he did!
    I make my own terms. I call my own shots.
    I wouldn't EXPECT it!
    I am doing all of this on my dime! Why........

Because I CARE!!!

Do you??

;):cheers::D:cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 07-18-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Occupation
    if your boss sends you, he should pay. If it is deemed volunteer, it shouldn't.

With that said, don't your bosses want you to be better educated? Fezz, you do it because you care, but so should your company.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz, you do it because you care, but so should your company.
    For-Life...I whole-heartedly agree.

But...you are either part of the problem or part of the solution! Right?
    I don't dwell on "why?". I dwell on "how?".

How can I improve me, my friends, my life, this forum, this workplace, this local tap-room, this situation, etc, etc, etc!

Caring starts with me. I think it might be contagious!!!

;):cheers::D:cheers::shiner:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    For-Life...I whole-heartedly agree.

But...you are either part of the problem or part of the solution! Right?
    I don't dwell on "why?". I dwell on "how?".

How can I improve me, my friends, my life, this forum, this workplace, this local tap-room, this situation, etc, etc, etc!

Caring starts with me. I think it might be contagious!!!

;):cheers::D:cheers::shiner:
    True, but Fezz if you worked for me and I told you that next week you are driving 300km to where ever, and while we will pay for your hotel, you will have to pay for gas and only get $15 for meals. Then I tell you that you will not get paid for your time there, I cannot expect you to be very nice to me after telling you that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    True, but Fezz if you worked for me and I told you that next week you are driving 300km to where ever, and while we will pay for your hotel, you will have to pay for gas and only get $15 for meals. Then I tell you that you will not get paid for your time there, I cannot expect you to be very nice to me after telling you that.

And that is why I wouldn't work for you!

;):cheers:;)

Occupation
    And that is why I wouldn't work for you!

;):cheers:;)
    exactly. Of course, I would never do that. I value employee initiative and skill. It is the most underrated thing on the market right now.

But I guess now you would agree that jalvers's owner is cheap.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

But I guess now you would agree that jalvers's owner is cheap.
    No...I have not said that I agree that the owner is cheap.

Cheap is in the eye of the beholder.

One man's cheap is another man's riches, and one man's riches is another man's desire.

What is the price tag of desire?

I desire to be the best I can. I know you do as well. Would an owner's "cheapness" keep you from desire?

Occupation
    No, but my owner's cheapness would help encourage me to fulfill my desires with another owner.

But before I did so, you bet that I would let it out in a complaint to friends and family members. Always nice to get it off the chest.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is poor. Why should you take a pay cut, because they want you to get training? The per diem is there to cover the expenses of the trip, not to replace salary.
    I didn't say that I agreed with it. It is just what I have seen in various places that I have worked. Most recently at VEW last year. Docs paid for the whole staff to go to Expo (free from just about any company we do business with), paid for the flight to Vegas (frequent flyer miles), hotel rooms (rewards points), not to mention a rep taking the entire staff out to dinner to the tune of over $2000. Still there were those on our staff that itched and moaned about using 2 days vacation time to cover the days missed and then had the gall to complain to the docs about the $40 per diem they gave for food. They told the docs that if they wanted us to go again they had better increase the daily allowance. We are not going to VEW this year.:angry::angry:

I am going to the Opticians Assoc. of America meeting in Sept. in Cincinnati, Oh. I am taking 4 days off of work. This goes against my "sick days", "mental health days", "personal days", "vacation days" and any other classification of days off. I am driving myself out to the meeting to the tune of 550 miles, 9 hours and 15 minutes. I drive a "Cowboy Cadillac", aka Chevy Silverado. You figure out the gas expense. I am taking the ABO-Advanced Review Course at an out-of-pocket expense of $299. The hotel is setting me back $120 a night x for four nights. When I am in the company of like minded individuals, I like to float the bill for any expenses (Harry Chiling has been more than gracious-and I owe him big-time). I tend to imbibe in the Nectar of the Gods=BEER. I can easily ring up a month or two's worth of the average Joe's mortgage payment in bar tabs alone. IF Harry, Ziggy and OptiDonn show......we are talking a couple large folks. Its OK, I have broad shoulders. And Gosh forbid if Mr. Jeff Smith shows.................OPEN WALLET, fork out a BUNCH of DEAD PRESIDENTS!!!!

Now these Boys like to grasp all that life has to offer. They work hard and play hard. These guys are BROTHERS. My fun is making sure they have fun! Poker Parties, Booze, Ladies of the Night, Optical Books, Discontinued frames at blow-out prices.....Dudes....I got your back. No sweat. It all comes out in the wash!!!

Now...all of the time away, I will be paying for around the clock care for my dear Mom. Poor Mom stroked out on us about two months ago. Poor Pops can't foot the bill, he lost everything including the $0.17 that was hidden in the couch cushions, when we had to close our two OPTICAL stores. Yeah, Dads, sis, and bro..outta work...gotta love the optical business.....belly up Baby!

I also tip....TOO well. I like to get serviced. That costs a bunch. But, when we party....you are never searching for another beer, or shot. I tip the barstaff ahead of time just to keep the ice cubes cold, and the conversation flowing. I introduce my friends and make a point(**GREASE PALMS**) to express how much pleasure it brings me that my friends never want for anything when I am around. I also make it a point to grab the hotel cleaning staff and let them know that I have lots of stuff that I want to "protect" in my hotel room. I assure them (GREASE PALMS) that if they keep their nose clean and watch my stuff...I really appreciate it!

Did my "Boss" send me away? NO. I wouldn't go if he did!
    I make my own terms. I call my own shots.
    I wouldn't EXPECT it!
    I am doing all of this on my dime! Why........

Because I CARE!!!

Do you??

;):cheers::D:cheers:
    Hmmmmmm........Hang out with George or hang out with Fezz......Hmmmmm

Are you serious?!?!? Ladies of the night and optical books in the same sentence??? Fezz, you truly are unique!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    I didn't say that I agreed with it. It is just what I have seen in various places that I have worked. Most recently at VEW last year. Docs paid for the whole staff to go to Expo (free from just about any company we do business with), paid for the flight to Vegas (frequent flyer miles), hotel rooms (rewards points), not to mention a rep taking the entire staff out to dinner to the tune of over $2000. Still there were those on our staff that itched and moaned about using 2 days vacation time to cover the days missed and then had the gall to complain to the docs about the $40 per diem they gave for food. They told the docs that if they wanted us to go again they had better increase the daily allowance. We are not going to VEW this year.:angry::angry:

Yeah, for small companies they cannot offer what I get and some things have to be altered. In that situation flight, hotel rooms, and registration should be covered. Per diems should not be. Salaries should be paid. Oh, and the owner should choose who to go. Anyone extra would have to pay out of pocket.

Occupation
    Fezz, your the man. I agree whole heartedly with everything you said. I attend more than a few events every year and I see opticians that have been sent by businesses staying in Hyatts, Doubletrees, and Radisons. Then they're droping $10.00 a drink in the hotel bar and getting sloshed on the company dime. When it's your dime things tend to be different, the hotel becomes a budget inn or comfort inn, the drinks come from a local liquor store or a swank neighborhood dive. You shoudl see the dumps I stay in so I could get to some of these events and be with like minded individuals, some days I wonder why I didn't just stay home and be more comfortable. Oh by the way dollar menu goes a long way, heck I wish I had an employer that was concerned about the betterment of there employees. The point, it's true the grass is greener on the other side, then you ge there and realize it's astroturf on top of broken up concrete.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    When I am in the company of like minded individuals, I like to float the bill for any expenses (Harry Chiling has been more than gracious-and I owe him big-time). I tend to imbibe in the Nectar of the Gods=BEER. I can easily ring up a month or two's worth of the average Joe's mortgage payment in bar tabs alone.
    Really, who would be foolish enough to give Fezzy an expense account??:drop:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, but my owner's cheapness would help encourage me to fulfill my desires with another owner.
    Yep! And the first thing on your resume would be all the training you received at the expense of your "cheap" boss.
    ;)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information