Thread: ABO Certification and Salary

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO Certification and Salary

I know this has probably been asked in another thread somewhere but here goes.

In your professional opinion, what would be the minimum hourly wage (with no commission) for an Optician with ABO Certification and less than 5 years optical experience in an unlicensed state (ex. Alabama/Mississippi)?

A. less than $10.00 per hour
    B. $10.00 to $12.00 per hour
    C. $12.00 to $14.00 per hour
    D. more than $14.00 per hour

I have a dilemma. One of my "newer" employees just passed the ABO and is an excellent Optician while another employee has worked in Optical for 5 years (only has basic optical competency) but currently makes more money than the new ABO Certified Optician. What should I do to keep both of them happy? I don't want to make the one with more experience upset but I also want to reward the ABO Certified Optician for her accomplishments. Also, in our area, the starting wage for Opticians is ridiculous. Some places start Certified Opticians out at $9.00 per hour and others start out at $14.00 per hour. Your comments are appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This one is pretty obvious, at least in my opinion. The long term employee has only basic optical competency after 5 years of experience. The ABOC employee has exhibited the desire to move forward. Reward the one who is trying, not the one who is marking time.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto to what Judy said :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you shouldn't need to let either of them know what the other is making anyhow... ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I passed my ABO many years ago(after 8 years of experience) I didn't even tell the boss that I was studying for it. A few of the other employees knew and when word got back to the boss he came to see me, congratulated me and gave me a dollar raise. I didn't expect that as I only did it for myself so it was quite nice to be recognized for my initiative. You should absolutely reward your new certified optician as well as display his/her certificate on the wall in the office where the patients can see it. The other employees will either get off their butts and start studying or they will stay where they are.

As far as the starting rate for opticians. I play it by ear. 9.00 an hour is for the high school student who files my records and does simple pre-testing. If someone has a few years experience they get more. The "more" depends on their circumstances to be honest. A single person trying to make it on their own needs a living wage. You can't live on 9.00 an hour. You can live on 14.00 if you are careful. After that you get raises based on performance and the economy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pay for optician ( and most other jobs) is mostly based on supply + demand + performance. It doesn't matter if you're in a licensed state or not. There are opticians in rural parts of Texas (unlicensed) that make more than some opticians in parts of New York state (licensed).

But i agree with the others, give the go getter a raise, it just may motivate your other employees to improve themselves too.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto to all of the above. I'd probably pay your ABOC person $14/hour and tell her that there can be more if she continues to improve her skills and qualifications (NCLE, perhaps? or ABO advanced?). Good people with initiative and smarts are hard to find and important to keep.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ditto what Andrew said.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I Second That

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    Ditto to all of the above. I'd probably pay your ABOC person $14/hour and tell her that there can be more if she continues to improve her skills and qualifications (NCLE, perhaps? or ABO advanced?). Good people with initiative and smarts are hard to find and important to keep.
    When I passed my ABO I got a dollar raise, and my certificate hangs proudly on my wall. Pt's see it a recognize that I am Qualified to help them with there Optical needs.:)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am certified and just recently moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast....and I thought that I was underpaid in Michigan! I was actually offended in my first interview when they offered $14 an hour....but after I spoke with a couple more offices I realized that pay is much lower down here and realized I would have to settle for less than I had hoped for and just prove myself.

I think that rewarding the employees for wanting to provide better care to your patients needs to be key. As for the one that's been there longer, you don't want to hurt her feelings, but business is business... and we all get paid to go to work and perform. If her performance is just basic then why should her paycheck look like she's extraordinary?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always reward for certification.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Everyone is worth minimum wage (or so the government says, I know more than few that are not, another discussion) - as of July 2008 ($6.55), in July 2009 ($7.25) also check your local labor laws they may have a higher rate that would supercede these rates.

New Optician - w/ABO cert
    Warm Body - $7.25
    Cert - $1.00 to $1.50

Total = $8.25 to $8.75

Optician - 5 yr experience
    Warm Body - $7.25
    1yr raise (5%)- $0.36
    2yr raise - $0.38
    3yr raise - $0.40
    4yr raise - $0.42
    5yr raise - $0.44

Total = $9.25

The raises can be anywhere from 3-5%, this covers the cost of living increasing, but you can see that an ABO certified optician from above starts at a higher rate and 5 years into the gig will be making more money at 5yrs than the no certified, this means that the sooner they get it the more they will make in the long run, gives them incentive.

This is very rudimetary and usually I will add in things, for instance:

Reliable transportation = $0.50
    Writing and reading skills = $0.30
    Customer service skills = $0.20
    Sales skills = $0.50
    Computer skills = $0.30

etc, etc. I get people that say that's pittance but a 40hr work week with 52 weeks a year and that $0.20 customer service skill is worth $416.00 a year, that's more than my home phone bill. This is a good way to negotiate I have found when I go looking for a job when I want a salary I can justify why, check this line out:

"Wouldn't you say taking care of yoru customers is worth at least $0.20 more an hour?"

Of course they person better have the documentation to back any of those claims up, a resume and portfolio is always nice. Also don't allow your employees to discuss there pay rates with each other, they should be written up if they let you catch wind of that. This way if they do discuss there pay rate they will not make the mistake of draggin you into it like they shouldn't in the first place. Also if someone approaches you upset that someone makes more money than them ask them why they think they shouldbe getting what they are currently getting. I know I can justiofy my salary, but often this leaves them befuddled, then if you choose you can sit them down and go over why you think they are worth what they are worth usign the above criteria or a modified version of your own. Also allow them to see what skills you desire most so that if they feel they are not being paid adequately they can step up and earn more money. If the skills generate more money for the business than they could strive to acheive those skills and ultimately gain more money for themselves. Good luck.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

Also don't allow your employees to discuss there pay rates with each other, they should be written up if they let you catch wind of that.
    Not a good idea.

http://compensation.blr.com/display.cfm/id/156020

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Hutch View Post
    Your right, it's against the law, the penalty is............................................... you reinstate them, then write them up for a myraid of other reasons and if your a real jerk you write them up and fire them before christmas, think it doesn't happen?

Again if you feel that your not making enough ask for a raise and justify it, or act like your entitled and get fired after all at least the state I live in is fire at will.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Your right, it's against the law, the penalty is............................................... you reinstate them, then write them up for a myraid of other reasons and if your a real jerk you write them up and fire them before christmas, think it doesn't happen?

Again if you feel that your not making enough ask for a raise and justify it, or act like your entitled and get fired after all at least the state I live in is fire at will.
    I woudn't want to work for someone who would deliberately violate employment law because the penalty was mild. But I don't think that most employers who have such policies are jerks, they just aren't aware of the law and have been told by someone that it's "good business practice." Since the OP was a manager asking advice on dealing with employee's salaries, the "Not a good idea." wasn't aimed at employees.

I agree with your advice for employees. I would add that if a reasonable discussion doesn't get the desired results, whining or threatening won't help your case. If your boss doesn't think you're worth more you should either try to show him that you are, or think about moving on.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper FezzJohns presents: Motivating your employees.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeguy View Post
    Always reward for certification.
    I would make this a win-win for both you and the studious one. Here's how:

Call a meeting with you, the newly certified one (worker A), and the 5 yr. experience worker (worker B).

-Read a nice citatation, lauding the accomplishments of worker A. Use a lot of "Whereas", and "Hereby's" to make it sound official.
    -Let worker B know that they are still appreciated, but a little less so.
    -Wrap up the meeting by saying that due to the hard work of worker A, you think that they deserve to make $5 per hour more than worker B.
    -Cut worker B's pay by $5 per hour.

Worker A now is the highest paid worker, worker B will work harder to regain position, and you've just cut payroll by $5.

You'll get businessman of the year award!:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Follow up to my original post...

FYI, I have already given the newly ABO Certified Optician a good raise but she is still making less than the other employee with more experience. I told her that if she takes the NCLE, then we will re-evaluate her salary and it will improve substantially. In addition to this raise, she will also get annual raises. We all know that our employees talk about their salaries even though we tell them it is personal and confidential. Thanks for your comments.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously...

I don't think it's all that relevant what an employee makes in comparison to another. I pay on merit. If they wallpaper my office walls w/ certifications, but don't add to the bottom line, then I don't care how much training they have.

I know of an office (not mine) where the receptionist is the highest paid employee, and in that case, it's justified.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Reminds me of Jennifer on WKRP in Cincinnati!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    would make this a win-win for both you and the studious one. Here's how:

Call a meeting with you, the newly certified one (worker A), and the 5 yr. experience worker (worker B).

-Read a nice citatation, lauding the accomplishments of worker A. Use a lot of "Whereas", and "Hereby's" to make it sound official.
    -Let worker B know that they are still appreciated, but a little less so.
    -Wrap up the meeting by saying that due to the hard work of worker A, you think that they deserve to make $5 per hour more than worker B.
    -Cut worker B's pay by $5 per hour.

Worker A now is the highest paid worker, worker B will work harder to regain position, and you've just cut payroll by $5.

IF my boss did that to me he would be looking for a new employee right after that meeting.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optician vs opt tech

Seems to me while most all "real Opticians" constantly complain about "low" pay, excluding Johns who is overpaid no doubt, we are pretty quick to call lots of folk in the business "optician", when in fact they have no proper certification. A good employee who knows their stuff is worth the money just as much as a "certified" person. The biggest advantage to the license is they can operate a shop legally in a licensed state.
    I guess we could have "Licensed Opticians" and "unlicensed Opticians" and hang the certificate of each on the wall. Then pay according to skill only.
    ;)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Myeyeonyou View Post
    IF my boss did that to me he would be looking for a new employee right after that meeting.
    Don't forget to take your CERTIFICATE when you leave!!!:D:D:D

Oh, and welcome to OPtiboard!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Don't forget to take your CERTIFICATE when you leave!!!:D:D:D

Oh, and welcome to OPtiboard!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Thanks for the welcome.:cheers:

I don't think "employee B" or anyone really would take a more then $10,000 a year pay cut and continue working for you because their co-worker took a test. Also cutting peoples salaries is no way to motivate them to do anything, IMO.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, fear of punishment (salary/hourly wage cut) is not a motivator. Every employee should understand that improving their skills and abilities will be properly rewarded. This could be accomplished through the annual review process or set up as a series of goals to attain over a given length of time. The reward should be clearly defined and publicly awarded.

And, I might add, HOOVERING is not a skill and should not be rewarded no matter how good the employee is at it.

Thread Information