Thread: Pros and Cons of the top PALs?

OptiBoard Apprentice

This should be fun.

What opinions do you have on the various pals?

I'm interested in knowing what experts consider to be (and of course why) the best lens for a very high minus (-10.25). Patient is 41 and can wear soft contacts with great results.

Cameron Reddy
    creddy@cameronreddy.com

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Cam, what is the add? Has the patient worn a PAL before? Is he/she a first time wearer?-or is that a separate question relating only to SV lenses for that high minus patient?

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    I,of course would use the 1.6 hi-index Varilux Panamic with a Crizal AR/SRC coat. Fir as small an oval shape as possible so that you have about 20-21mm seg ht. The panamic's global design virtually eliminate side "swim" and has an excellant reading area. Al.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Karen,

No, it's one question, regrettably, inarticulately posed.

Add is 1.0D and this is a first time pal wearer (me), but a long time myopic, -10.25 and -10.0. No astigmatism to worry about.

I read a lot, and work on my Mac with two large monitors.

I'm actually thinking about two pals. One for general use, and one for working on my computer (I'm a writer).

Thanks for the input!

Cam

[This message has been edited by Cameron (edited 07-11-2000).]

OptiBoard Apprentice

This reply will reference the topic "as-worn optimization topic in the Opthalmic Optics forum

The lens that I have had the most success with has been the AF PAL by Pentax. It is the only pal that I have dispensed where I could tell a happy VLux wearer that they would see a tangible improvement in their visual acuity. The big con (no pun intended) is the "adjusted power" reading you will get when you neutralize the lens. For a -10.25 you will probably read a -9.62 -.42 x92. I wont get into too much detail about the design of the lens, but suffice it to say, from my meager experience it is one of the best, readily available PALs out there.

You're right, you should have a seperate pair for the computer, but make them just a single vision with 0.50 less minus. Al.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Lightbulb

Al,

Can you tell me why you like a single vision over a pal such as the Zeiss RD?

Sus,

Thanks for the advice and the witty puns!

Cameron

Cameron, First, it sounds like you need a -10.00 with a 0.75 add. So you have one pair for regular glasses with the same add as the "computer" lenses. A Norweigian study just concluded that a rx power of between 0.37 and 0.50 less plus is the most comfortable for crt users. ergonomically, it's easier and less stressful to look at the screen in a sv lens. you should have enough reserve accomodation to compensate a 0.50 difference. now compare the cost of say an Rd w/AR to say a finished 1.6 AR Pentax SV lens. Now, when you get more presbyopic down the road, the you'll appreciate the RD, etc. IMHO, Al.

Thread Information