Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gerber SGX prism issues

Bad address email on file leestaniforth's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hi.
    i was a GC service enginneer for three years.

What surfacing programme do you use and what blocker do you have?
    thanks
    lee

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think he has resolved the problem.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

hi

I was going to up the temperature on my chiller to see if that would help since it's ice cold constantly and wax hardens in the spout.

Lisa11

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I was going to up the temperature on my chiller to see if that would help since it's ice cold constantly and wax hardens in the spout.
    It sounds like the nozzle could be touching the chill ring. The nozzle is supposed to protrude through the hole in the chill ring, but not touch. That keeps the nozzle hot, but the chill ring cold. Even with an ice cold chill ring, it shouldn't cause the nozzle to clog.

You may want to verify that the little heater on the back of the nozzle is working as well.
    RT

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Sgx

We have the same problem. What I've found is that some lab techs at my store have a problem blocking a lens correctly. Wax has been pumped outside of the chiller ring, in-proper pressure has been applied to the arm, etc. A few things to look at, when the elevator takes the block down, push it down just before lens moves over top, I've found that a lot of mine do not go all the way down, causing prism. And on progressives apply a little pressure to the bifocal area while pumping wax onto the block. This will reduce the amount of unwanted prism, and at my store at least, a huge decrease in vertical imbalances for thinning prisms. Check the chuck on the SGZ, and possibly check blade? I've found 6flute seems to do best on a 50/40/10 (poly/cr30/trivex) lab

Bad address email on file leestaniforth's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by slackware View Post
    it's pretty random like 2 out of 20 jobs. i was thinking maybe it's the basecurve of the blank or is there a setting i can use? i usually add 3mm to the blank diameter and 3mm to the edge thickness and clear the cribbing and leave everything else. any suggestions?

I think this i your problem.. what pc programme are you using?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

About that problem...

Quote Originally Posted by slackware View Post
    hey all-

ive recently been put in charge of a gerber lab. The generator the lab has is a Gerber sgx. I'm running into a few issues I cannot troubleshoot. With progressives, techs keep getting unwanted prism after the lenses are generated. I was wondering if there's a way to troubleshoot this. When marking/blocking, everything is on the money. Is there something I should do on the screen that will prevent this issue? Thanks for the help.

Hello!
    Well, I'm not sure if the problem has been solved, since it has been a long time since it has been posted, but I used to have the same problem. We solved it by erasing the prism by pressing 'clear' or F3 on the Prism powr and Prism Angle options. It worked for me and I haven't had any problems. Hope it works for you too.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi

I was wondering... Since we acquired the SGX lite we've had little differences with the prescripcions. I mean, they are not always perfect. It sometimes have a 0.25 more or less than it should. Sometimes a 0.12. Is this normal? or are we doing something wrong?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    With the step one when i install new elevator plates i always take a rough fining pad and sand the steal pin a little bit otherwise our blocks don't always seat correctly. Other things to look at 1. is the spring in the suction cup stretched out? with the automated versions of this blocker if there is a fill time out and the tech doesn't catch it the blocker will attempt to pick the lens back up stretching this spring out. 2. I have also seen broken reservoir mounts causing the lens platform to tilt slightly when leaned on. 3.Check the center screw under elevator plate to make sure it is tight, i check mine every other day as they tend to come loose and not be discovered until you have prism in 40 jobs.

Thread Information