Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherOD View Post
    Yes.
    Then what is the problem ? You have been shown the USP . Do it .

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Then what is the problem ? You have been shown the USP . Do it .
    Problem is, if you're in a practice populated largely by either seniors or children... exam fees can't be set in most provinces, and they pay squat.

Right now I'm practicing in BC, but may be headed back east to Ontario in the future. I guess i could update my locale. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    If you know of any for sale... let me know! Very few are.
    where are you in Chicago?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Problem is, if you're in a practice populated largely by either seniors or children... exam fees can't be set in most provinces, and they pay squat.

Right now I'm practicing in BC, but may be headed back east to Ontario in the future. I guess i could update my locale. :)
    Ontario would be nice, may I suggest looking into Kitchener/Waterloo. College town so college kid's with mom and dads credit card.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Ontario would be nice, may I suggest looking into Kitchener/Waterloo. College town so college kid's with mom and dads credit card.
    Been there, done that... Not as many college kids in KW get mom/dads credit card as you may think... my impression of my fellow students at the time was that they were almost all very frugal... except when it came to the EtOH...:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    KW is way too overpopulated with ODs due to the presence of the school at UW. People make friends with local ODs at the school and stick around.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just read on the COO web site that Bruce had his license revoked. Does that make any difference to the functioning of Great Glasses? Can the COO now close the chain or does it move dispensing one step closer to an unregulated business?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    Just read on the COO web site that Bruce had his license revoked. Does that make any difference to the functioning of Great Glasses? Can the COO now close the chain or does it move dispensing one step closer to an unregulated business?
    He did not abide by anyones rules or laws while he had a license so what possible diference could this make ?

COO and the Attorney General and Deb Matthews at MOH just all look like fools now .

Did anyone close any stores or seize any assets ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    By revoking his license , on grounds that he is "ungovernable" the COO has admitted defeat and washed their hands of him. The stores are still open . Now it is a civil matter .

Moral of the story , you can only regulate those that will abide by regulation.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow! That is just nuts.

So in other words, if you just defy regulations until the College gives up, then you are basically free to do as you please?

My goodness - aren't Colleges supposed to regulate the practice of their profession?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow! That is just nuts.

So in other words, if you just defy regulations until the College gives up, then you are basically free to do as you please?

My goodness - aren't Colleges supposed to regulate the practice of their profession?

Speaking of which , what is the matter with the College of Optometrists in this case ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow! That is just nuts.

It only works if you are first "judgment proof "

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Speaking of which , what is the matter with the College of Optometrists in this case ?
    I'm shocked to say the least that AnotherOD is supposedly an Ontario OD and seems like this is the first time he/she has heard of this case???

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    I'm shocked to say the least that AnotherOD is supposedly an Ontario OD and seems like this is the first time he/she has heard of this case???
    Umm. No.

I was responding to the fact that the Optician College has simply decided to revoke his registration, essentially deeming his actions outside of their jurisdiction.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Umm. No.

I was responding to the fact that the Optician College has simply decided to revoke his registration, essentially deeming his actions outside of their jurisdiction.
    In my opinion, The College of Optometrists did no better than the College of Opticians They are just as negligent,

In my opinion ,the Registrar and Past President of The College of Opticians and their lawyers were negligent in their duties to protect the public .In my opinion they abandoned their duties and their own members .

The members need to reign in their Registar, stop her travels outside of the Province of Ontario and cut her budgets . She needs to learn her position as an employee . In my opinion, the Past President should resign from council . One of the northeren Secretariat's choices should also resign. After many years on Council, if a peson can not answer simple questions about budget expense amounting to 85,000.00 per year , then it is time that the membership and council cut out the dead wood.

The membership has nothing to show for all the money and faith they invested in The Registrar, Past President and the HUGE dollars they spent on the lawyers. No results after 8 years should mean NO PAY . Their jobs should be on the FIRING line. They have become too complacent and non producing after years of living high on the hog on membership money. In my opinion, The Registrar & past President should resign.

In my opinioin they have failed to warn the public .

You are an optometrist , tell me what has the College of Optometrists done to warn the public and protect you as a member ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In my opinion, The membership themselves are also to blame . Very few opticians in my opinon , even picked up the phone or wrote a letter to their MPPs , Chris Bentley the Attorney General, or Deb Matthews the Mnister of Health . Practically no members show up at COO meetings to see the nonsense that goes on . Even fewer question their own Associations who never open their "Official Voices " .

Now just why is that ? Why would members keep renewing their Association fees when the "Official Voice " has laryngitis ?

Occupation
    Umm. No.

Got ya.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    But to be fair, I'm certain there are at least a few news-ignorant ODs who are generally unaware of this case. But it must be noted BB is ultimately an optician - so that does make a difference.

Then again, some ODs just live in their own bubble trying to make as much money as they can, and take no interest in the profession around them. I went to school with some of them (although they are in the distinct minority).

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are an optometrist , tell me what has the College of Optometrists done to warn the public and protect you as a member ?
    I understand your argument (BB is violating optometric regulations as well as optician regulations) - and therefore the Optom College should have the mandate to take action.

That said, could the Optom College simply say that he's an optician, and therefore is under the jurisdiction of the Optician College? (not that they have, as they have been involved in the prosecution against BB)

I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but the Assoc of Optoms of Ontario attempted a civil suit against BB back in ~October or so. The judge dismissed the case before it was even tried on technical grounds (that it should tried be in a different geographical district).

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I understand your argument (BB is violating optometric regulations as well as optician regulations) - and therefore the Optom College should have the mandate to take action.

That said, could the Optom College simply say that he's an optician, and therefore is under the jurisdiction of the Optician College? (not that they have, as they have been involved in the prosecution against BB)

I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but the Assoc of Optoms of Ontario attempted a civil suit against BB back in ~October or so. The judge dismissed the case before it was even tried on technical grounds (that it should tried be in a different geographical district).
    In my opinion, That is the very reason why heads need to roll and be chopped at the Association and College levels. An untrained person that represents themself in court is making mince meat out of the Colleges and their HIGH OVERPRICED LAWYERS !!!

Our "leaders" can't hire lawyers that understand what jurisdiction to file in and can't figure out who has jurisdiction to sue ?

Give me a break. It is time to fire leaders that hire lawyers that don't know what they are doing . No results should equal NO PAY , NO JOB . Doesn't matter whether it is the College leaders or the College lawyers . We might as well hire paralegals or represent ourselveves . We don't need to pay for Ivory Towers .

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Point taken.

But if I'm not mistaken, he had a lawyer represent him in the civil suit.

He largely represented himself in the Optician College investigation in the early goings, then hired a lawyer later (played like a violin).

At least that's the impression I got.

But you have to admit, this person completely knows how to play the system. He just keeps pushing and getting what he wants. And no one is stopping him. It's nuts.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just curious - does anyone know what the "unofficial" relationship between the two Colleges are?

I imagine the associations aren't collegial (a quick glance at the Ontario Optician's Assoc website would suggest this).

But what about the Colleges? They worked together against BB sort of (on the dispensing part, not on the refracting part).

Is the optician registrar Lorne Kashin? What is his level of like/dislike with the Ontario registrar?

I'm just curious since there is obviously professional friction between the two Os, but what about the actual personalities?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The OAC and OOA don't seem to say much . I would have to assume then that they support this business model.

Occupation
    It's the old saying...if you don't act, you condone!

Thread Information