Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: VSP buying who?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    There are a few players with tons of cash to spend and they are continuing to look at all possible suitors.
    Hear that Fezzy!?!

Our ship's a comin' in!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    There are a few players with tons of cash to spend and they are continuing to look at all possible suitors.

Craig
    I wanna know who they are !!! I want my share too !!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    VSP has been waging a mud-slinging campaign against Lux/Eyemed on their websites...very immature and unprofessional.

VSP is probably quaking in their boots about Eyemed. They know they can be undersold because Lux makes up the difference on the retail end.

VSP is unable to have it's own provider panel, so they will always have that disadvantage to Eyemed. What they could do is bring the labwork in-house to save a little money, but the headaches! They can also try to make a little money pimpin' frames, and Marchon is right there for the taking.

VSP actually has a very nice frame supply logistic available to providers, and I'm sure they'd be very happy to take independent optician dollars for Marchon frames.

If I were independent opticianry, I'd lobby hard for inclusion on the panel. The whole "promote private practice optometry" farce is a little played out by now. They apparently need the frame income to compete. While most opticians working in optometry/ophthalmology/retailer may not give a hoot, it's possible that the OAA could make a case that a Marchon boycott could hurt VSP.

I think they'll eventually let indies on the panels, but never their mortal enemy.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I heard it through the grapevine and my grapevine is pretty strong. I am making the assumption it's true and stocking or rather destocking accordingly.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More money than brains?

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    VSP actually has a very nice frame supply logistic available to providers, and I'm sure they'd be very happy to take independent optician dollars for Marchon frames....

...I think they'll eventually let indies on the panels, but never their mortal enemy.
    And hopefully, opticians won't forget who their mortal enemy is!

VSP has made their money destroying opticianry by their exclusionary practices. And if you're an OD that's been supporting VSP all these years, and now VSP invites their enemy (in some minds) into the tent, how does that make you feel?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hope this doesn't hurt, Johns, but I don't think many optometry practices consider independent opticianry a serious market force. Let 'em on.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Essilor is going to be in this somewhere

I heard that the 15 of this month we will know what and who bought what, but Essilors name keeps coming up. They are buying up labs right and left who knows. This is just a thought:drop:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hope this doesn't hurt, Johns, but I don't think many optometry practices consider independent opticianry a serious market force. Let 'em on.
    \

No Drk, I am under on illusions that most optometrist view opticians as a serious market force. I sure don't.

However, stick around long enough, and I think you'll see that many optometrists will not be considered serious market forces either. Given the way they are content to sleep outside the doors of all the third party plans, and fight over the scraps that their masters throw them (they are the new masters), the ODs will be nothing more than eye examiners. Their window of opportunity began closing a long time ago, and you can already see some of the results.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    ... how does that make you feel?

I know, I know...we hate it when people quote themselves, but to clarify...

What I meant by this was that VSP signed all the ODs on w/ the promise that it was to have an exclusive club. Well they've alread invited many of the chains in with their far-reaching plans. So if you've played by the rules, and now that VSP has the money they want, they change them, I'd be pretty upset.

Look, we've already got it all figured out, and we don't even know which company it is!:p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look, we've already got it all figured out, and we don't even know which company it is!:p
    Three forms of communication. Telephone, television, and tell an optician.;)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Johns, we ODs do just enough health care as to be subject to the trends in medical care.

The fact of the matter is that the American public "pre-buys" their health care, vision care included. Health care professionals contract with third parties to provide medical services to the third parties' members and not the public directly.

Optical services are still largely exempt from this trend, but it seems to show some "two-tiered-ness"...the free-market fashion accessory purchase and the pre-paid medical device.

For the short term, there will be a dichotomy. In the future, I think there will be a lot of the pre-paid stuff. You have to "be in" to play the game, I'm sad to say.

Contrarians will, of course, do well, but the market will be concentrated, to say the least.

JMHO.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    VSP has been waging a mud-slinging campaign against Lux/Eyemed on their websites...very immature and unprofessional.

VSP is probably quaking in their boots about Eyemed. They know they can be undersold because Lux makes up the difference on the retail end.

VSP is unable to have it's own provider panel, so they will always have that disadvantage to Eyemed. What they could do is bring the labwork in-house to save a little money, but the headaches! They can also try to make a little money pimpin' frames, and Marchon is right there for the taking.

VSP actually has a very nice frame supply logistic available to providers, and I'm sure they'd be very happy to take independent optician dollars for Marchon frames.

If I were independent opticianry, I'd lobby hard for inclusion on the panel. The whole "promote private practice optometry" farce is a little played out by now. They apparently need the frame income to compete. While most opticians working in optometry/ophthalmology/retailer may not give a hoot, it's possible that the OAA could make a case that a Marchon boycott could hurt VSP.

I think they'll eventually let indies on the panels, but never their mortal enemy.
    Prediction!

DRK If it is in fact Marchon! VSP is sending letters bashing Luxottica. If they are buying Marchon they will then say its Luxotticas fault and they had to buy them. They then will say buy Marchon frames to help us stop Luxottica. JUST MY OPINION NO FACTS HERE!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optirep View Post
    Prediction!

They then will say buy Marchon frames to help us stop Luxottica.
    Stop Lux? Stop Marchon at the cost of pumping up VSP even more? Who cares?

It's like watching a dog fight, and I don't have a dog in it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optirep View Post
    Prediction!

DRK If it is in fact Marchon! VSP is sending letters bashing Luxottica.
    It IS Marchon. We've known this for weeks and it has been confirmed by the reps. As for the letters, I laughed. So they're telling us something we don't know? And what are they going to do about it? And then we get a fax letter stating that VSP has lost a large contract to(I assume)EyeMed. Ok, why are you telling me this? Should I fax back a "nice going VSP" response? I tell you the insurance racket has got my head spinning. No wonder I need a drink when I get home.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I tell you the insurance racket has got my head spinning. No wonder I need a drink when I get home.

Back in the old days, when I was a rep, teh opticians didn't need a drink when they got home because they drank all day at work!
    :hammer::finger::D:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Plenty VSP purchases................

Plenty optical
    purchases by VSP listed in Google at:

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid...cal+company%3f

interesting

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So now VSP won't mind be a "for profit" company? Or does this somehow still qualify as nonprofit in their minds even as they buy up other companies?

Do you all taking VSP care they are wasting millions (probably) in lawyers fees to fight this instead of paying you?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Harry,

I just got word from my extremely strong grapevine that YES, it IS happening and FYI, it will be very soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I heard it through the grapevine and my grapevine is pretty strong. I am making the assumption it's true and stocking or rather destocking accordingly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    vsp is a pain to deal with. Especially when we are forced to use their labs...I have never had more problems with a lab than at VSP.
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.optician View Post
    vsp is a pain to deal with. Especially when we are forced to use their labs...I have never had more problems with a lab than at VSP.
    You can switch VSP labs anytime you want. If you aren't happy with the one you use now just pick another from the list. We were using a local small lab(we like local if possible)but the quality was going downhill. We switched to one on the other side of the state and though not perfect comes close to what we need and expect.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

well...

With the Signature Choice plans and Sight For Students my VSP rep has told me I am REQUIRED to use a VSP lab. Everythign else - does not go to a VSP lab.

Though, one good thing I will say about VSP is they have great customer service (well, 90% good). Whenever I call about insurance questions they are very helpful and friendly...now if they could transfer that to the lab they might stand a chance of getting more business.
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.optician View Post
    With the Signature Choice plans and Sight For Students my VSP rep has told me I am REQUIRED to use a VSP lab. Everythign else - does not go to a VSP lab.

Though, one good thing I will say about VSP is they have great customer service (well, 90% good). Whenever I call about insurance questions they are very helpful and friendly...now if they could transfer that to the lab they might stand a chance of getting more business.

Try calling them to ask about billing for a saddleback myodisk. All I got was "It's just a lens! Bill it like a lens!" No amount of explaining how the lens was quadruple the labor cost and that there are extremely few of these in the country would make any difference.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Try calling them to ask about billing for a saddleback myodisk. All I got was "It's just a lens! Bill it like a lens!" No amount of explaining how the lens was quadruple the labor cost and that there are extremely few of these in the country would make any difference.

haha...

touche!
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Shouldn't it be "VSP buying whom?"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down It took you 20+ posts to figure that out?

Quote Originally Posted by allanon View Post
    Shouldn't it be "VSP buying whom?"
    Only if...

A. You're turning it in for a grade.
    B. You've got nothing better to think about.

:hammer:

Thread Information