Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backside AR on Drivewear?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Confused Backside AR on Drivewear?

I just fit myself with a pair of SV Drivewear and love em!!! Has anyone out there applied AR to the backside of Drivewear? All my polarized sunglasses have backside AR. Just wondering what y'all think.

Bad address email on file gjhazard's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crizal Sun!!

I have Crizal Sun AR in mine. I have done a Zeiss on a few but it doesn't hold up as well.

Hope that helps!!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by gjhazard View Post
    I have Crizal Sun AR in mine. I have done a Zeiss on a few but it doesn't hold up as well.

Hope that helps!!
    same here (about Crizal)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Wondering...................

Quote Originally Posted by partyoptician View Post
    I
    All my polarized sunglasses have backside AR. Just wondering what y'all think.
    Beatuful glasses with all the bells and whistles.........................but costing a fortune to the consumer.

With todays news on the economy are the average Joe consumers still ready and willing to go for theses items ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Beatuful glasses with all the bells and whistles.........................but costing a fortune to the consumer.

With todays news on the economy are the average Joe consumers still ready and willing to go for theses items ?
    The average Joe consumer will not pay extra for them. Does that mean it's doom and gloom and all expensive lenses should be scrapped and we go back to glass Kryptoks?
    NO!!
    Staying the same is the same as going backwards.

There will always be people who want the newest and best.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes put the backside AR on them you will love them, Any good AR will work fine...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No one mentioned the consumer. This is someone on the forum asking specifically for their own usage. That being said, just because most (and I'm not saying I agree) people would choose not to get these lenses, is it not still our responsibility as professionals to KNOW about them? To know that IF someone comes in looking for these lenses, that the Crizal sun works better than the Ziess coating? That's what this forum is for. Knowledge.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Old wiseman says

People will spend as little as they can for what they need and as much as they can for what they want!!! If they want it they will buy it! Sounds alot like---If you build it---they will come!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Some where between 7-10% of our busness every month is drivewear. I just leave mine on the dispensing table and the patients start asking questions. If the patients understand what they(drivewear lens) can do for them they will buy them. Yes partyoptician, I have backside ar on mine.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation

Chris, no one is forcing them into the lens. We are offering it to them and they LOVE them.

Honestly Chris, it is working for us, so your theory is not absolutely correct.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got AR on both sides of mine. Love the lens!!

When did they release Crizal products on the DW lens?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I also AR'd both sides on mine and love it.:)

Occupation

Blue Jumper Chris, no one is forcing them into the lens...................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Chris, no one is forcing them into the lens. We are offering it to them and they LOVE them.

Honestly Chris, it is working for us, so your theory is not absolutely correct.
    Gosh...................you guy's are just about all taking out your heavy artillery to disproove "my theory".

There is, nor was there any "THEORY".
    There was a question about the " average Joe consumer", and most of you feel attacked in your pride to talk about the most expensive products..................to answer a simple question that you obviously don't like to hear. :finger:

Occupation
    Gosh...................you guy's are just about all taking out your heavy artillery to disproove "my theory".

There is, nor was there any "THEORY".
    There was a question about the " average Joe consumer", and most of you feel attacked in your pride to talk about the most expensive products..................to answer a simple question that you obviously don't like to hear. :finger:
    Chris listen, it is nothing personal, but you do this in almost every thread. Opticians are trying to enjoy their jobs and get excited about new ways of helping our clients. Then you tell us we are wrong and charging too much.

I will let you know something, my former business just recorded another successful year. We have been doing very well for about 5 years now. One major change we made was that we moved our location, but we also got out of the idea of offering cheap AR that falls of the lenses and moving toward good premium stuff. We offered better lenses. We offered more unique and fun frames.

In the end of the day, over the last three years, our city lost 10% of our population. Our major industries closed down. Our region lost about 50,000 people. And competition increased.

We have maintained our profits and revenues through offering better products. You talk about this recession like it is new. We have been experiencing it in our region for 3 years now. Yet we keep consistent.

In my opinion, that is pretty remarkable. To take that one step further, as a businessman, I can guarantee that if we went back to the idea of selling cheap AR or no AR at all, and not providing our patients with options, we would have been gone. Why, because Wal-Mart has that market.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi! Here in Dubai, we usually dispensed SV DRIVEWEAR with back AR and we use CRIZAL as well. So far, all our patients are happy with it. :finger:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The only premium products that anybody in our industry should even consider selling or using is...premium AR stripper. It is conveniently available for purchase at www.optochemicals.com.
    RT

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Correction......................

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    The only premium products that anybody in our industry should even consider selling or using is...premium AR stripper.................
    Correction.......................

There is no such thing as a "premium stripper'. What does the job is the hydrofluoric acid which is the main ingredient in all AR strippers , therefore they all work to remove the AR.

What is important that the AR stripper is as safe to handle as possible, because the content of HF acid is minimal while other ingredients promote a fast stripping.

See MSDS http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/HY/hydrofluoric_acid.html

While we'r at it you should not call it the premium stripper, rather the safest stripper.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Correction..................

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    The only premium products that anybody in our industry should even consider selling or using is...premium AR stripper...............

This is not the frame and lens business with premium products.

Ther is no premium stripper because they all work the same, using Hydrofluoric acid to do the job. http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/HY/hydrofluoric_acid.html

Having looked at above link, you would want to do the job with an absolut minimum of HF and it would not be the premium stripperyou mwould want to work with,..................... but rather the safest one.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-27-2008 at 08:03 AM.

ArielJG

DriveWear lenses with a Zeiss Gold AR

I have a pair of SV CR-39 DriveWear lenses with a Zeiss Gold AR, but just on the back side of the lens, it looks graet!!
    Before I got the lenses most of the people that I spoke to told me just to get the back side with AR, but now for my next pair which will be poly, ill get the Zeiss Gold AR on the back & the front of the lens then it will have the best look!!!
    For the next generation of Drivewear lenses, ( If they will come out with better lens ) It will be nice if out doors under the sun the lenses will get to a darker brown color, but overall I love the lenses, some times I just wear them all day, they are great lenses!!!!

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

a/r

I sold some Drivewear and people weren't impressed so I tried them on
    my daddy. I witnessed that they really don't get dark enough in the full sun! If you are used to the grey then those are my customers that were not happy.

As for a/r I always backside coat polaroid lenses. I tried myself without and it is night and day literally. I worked for 7 wks for a Dr that challenged my putting it on ....he tho't I was an idiot. Well for 7 wks I tho't he was too.....................

As for a/r premium or not. When people don't want to pay for premium
    I offer Zeiss set or get. Listen I have done this 10 years and never
    had a Zeiss coating break down. My volume is high too. I have seen
    other coatings craze etc. but not Zeiss. So that is my 2 cents.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Drivewear - how to promote

What are the key features of drivewear that seem to most resonate with your customers and motivate them to buy? Is it driving performance, golf or something else. I have been struggling to figure out how to recommend these and would love some pearls of wisdom!

PM if desired!

Thanks,

John

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

A/R is not reccommended

My information may be old... but when we first tried Drivewear the A/R had a tendancy to affect the lens by darkening its lightest phase and reducing the amount of change (I did receive my pre-release). Both mine and the rep's had the same effect. After sending them into to PPG we received word that A/R is not reccommended at this time and they were nice enough to send me a new pair.

Has this changed?

My non- A/R pair do get darker. But backside A/R would be great to offer patients. I do this lens primarily for golfers because I still don't think it gets dark enough for most people.

Sharpstick

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

drivewear

I use my drivewear with Image progressive for golf, The contrasts are amazing and the progressive is amazing considering excess head movement will kill my shot , so the Image helps me keep my head behind the ball. too much head movement and the Image tells me loud and clear I'm gonna hit a lousy shot
    Money carefully refunded

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    my biggest problem with the lenses is backside reflections.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Metzger View Post
    I use my drivewear with Image progressive for golf, The contrasts are amazing and the progressive is amazing considering excess head movement will kill my shot , so the Image helps me keep my head behind the ball. too much head movement and the Image tells me loud and clear I'm gonna hit a lousy shot
    It is a great golf lens. For instance, I am going tonight at 6:30. Will be very bright, so the lens will darken up. When I read the 3rd hole by 9:30, it will get lighter to reflect the sunset. When I hit the 5th hole by 12am, I will get kicked off the course.

Thread Information