Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABO-NCLE National Education Conference

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians Conference

Hi guys (and gals),

Will be there...flying in Wed PM...NFOS meeting all day Thursday. I think there is a reception (OAA Delegate Assembly?) Thursday PM?

I'll buy Fezz ONE...if he chugs!

: )

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Step aside-let the PROFESSIONAL handle this!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Hi guys (and gals),

Will be there...flying in Wed PM...NFOS meeting all day Thursday. I think there is a reception (OAA Delegate Assembly?) Thursday PM?

I'll buy Fezz ONE...if he chugs!

Laurie

Chugging is for amatuers!

I prefer *SPLASHING* the gullet with huge volumes of ale. The hop nose of the ale is much more pronounced then!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So...........

It looks like very little interest in this event!

Any suggestions on good watering holes/beer joints in Cinci?

I may want to quaff an ale or two while there!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    So...........

It looks like very little interest in this event!
    Actually, I think the latest official head cound was somewhere around 600 people.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Cincinnati Oktoberfest or Oktoberfezz

Fezz,
    Here is a link to the Oktoberfest happening in Cinci this weekend. We are sure that you will find a few brews that you can enjoy during your stay.

http://www.oktoberfestzinzinnati.com/okt.aspx

Optician 1960

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks 1960.

I have that on my list already! Any other suggestions? Rock Bottom Brewery is one I have heard of. Open to suggestions!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

See you in Cincinnati...

I'm about to head out to the airport to go to Cincinnati. I hope that you guys will allow me the privilege of meeting each of you.:)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

enroute

Hello 'Boarders,

I am heading to the airport now as well. Diane, I am looking forward to seeing you with Eddie D on Saturday,

Other 'Boarders, where/when are we meeting? Would hate to miss you guys again, and will buy a beer for Fezz.

Safe Travels Everyone,

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You should have been there!

I just rolled in after a nine hour ride home.

I got the honor of sitting in on a few of Diane's classes. I tried to be like a sponge and absorb all that I could. Diane is a fantastic speaker, with an awesome and upbeat delivery! She has such a real, down to earth way about here, that you can't help but to get so involved and engrossed in her message! Great courses!

I finally got to me Dr. Warren McDonald. To say that I was totally impressed would be an understatement. Warren is the ultimate Professional Optician with a Rockstar/Politician presence. I didn't think it was humanly possible to know as many people as Warren does. I wish I would have gotten his autograph! He made the mistake of giving me his cell #, so you can bet I am going to try and snatch all the knowledge that I can from the gentleman! Somebody told me to "watch him light up a room-he is incredible!". Yeah....he is!

I had the privilege of meeting, sitting with, and stealing a few hugs from the beautiful Laurie. I wish that I had more time-I would have loved to have taken a few of her classes!

I got to put a face to the name of Gary Falk from Vision-Ease. He and his booth partner, Matt, gave me a boatload of valuable information. These are some smart Dudes!

I finally got to meet Lensgrinder. His passion and knowledge is incredible. I applaud his work and dedication to his students (I certainly have learned a bunch from him!). I got to personally thank him for the online calculator program that he posted. Great job!

To my fellow course mates....I hope you aced the advanced review! Please keep me posted. Don't forget to contact Mr. Smith about those opportunities!

My Cincinnati travel and tour guide, Ziggy, provided constant entertainment and introduced me to a whole bunch of folks who otherwise probably wouldn't have given me the time of day! I learned a thing or two about fashion as well from him! We learned what to wear....and what not to wear......................and WHY!!! ;^)

There are so many others, and I apologize for not listing everybody I had the honor to meet.

My overall impression:

I am very glad that I went. I learned alot. One of the major things that I learned was that there is often much, much more to be learned at these shows outside of the meetings and exhibit halls.

As Ziggy told me "It is the meetings after the meetings where the real learning takes place!" I agree!

Driving nine hours, I had *A*L*O*T* of time to reflect.

Something really made an impression on me. These talented and ultra smart optical professionals came to share their insights, ideas and gifts with me. I am humbled by their understanding of our business, their brilliance, and their willingness to share for the betterment of all.

All of you have impressed the HELL out of me and re-energized me. Thank you!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

PS. All beer debts have been payed! I owe a few now. I also have to take a few dancing lessons for next time. Salsa anyone? ;)
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-22-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: I got typers cramp!!! ;^)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great to meet you as well.

I just rolled in after a nine hour ride home.

I got the honor of sitting in on a few of Diane's classes. I tried to be like a sponge and absorb all that I could. Diane is a fantastic speaker, with an awesome and upbeat delivery! She has such a real, down to earth way about here, that you can't help but to get so involved and engrossed in her message! Great courses!
    Bob,

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. I know that the future of Opticianry is in good hands when we have young men such as yourself learning all you can and going for the gusto. ;)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NY State Opticians Not Going - Why?

I don't think you'll find many New Yorkers there. The conference doesn't offer credits that are necessary for them for registration renewal. That's a bummer! NYS requires that a CEC provider registers for 3 years at $900. If the ABO/NCLE registered as a CEC provider for NY, there would be many more registrants. Ohio is not a long trip for many New Yorkers (especially those in the Buffalo area, or the Southern Tier). I think they goofed on this one, and since VEW is so close in time (and such a better locaton), many buyers will go to Las Vegas instead. :(

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO/NCLE conference

Hi Fezz,

It was great to meet you as well, did you enjoy the Octoberfest? I missed the big chicken dance, but did manage to stroll through Sat. PM.

By all accounts, the meeting was a success...I heard that there were over 800 registrants there. They will have it there again next year as well, and we can all help to build it even bigger.

Hi Sharon,

Would love to have seen you there! Next week I will be having a conversation with Craig and Ursula Norman, who coordinate the show, and give them your suggestion...I think you are correct, they could draw from NY, and the providership fee is not that much.

Diane, Warren, and others: as always, it was great to see you and spend time with you as well...

Good times were had by all!

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    I think they goofed on this one, and since VEW is so close in time (and such a better locaton), many buyers will go to Las Vegas instead. :(
    I agree that the timing was poor at best. I wouldn't classify this as a buyers conference. It was an education conference. I think it filled that bill well. I feel sorry for the vendors who did show up and pay for the booth and man/lady hours. It was like walking down an old ghost town in there. I doubt that there was very much business written.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Hi Fezz,

It was great to meet you as well, did you enjoy the Octoberfest? : )

Laurie

Would The Fezz miss OctoberFest?

I tried my best to give the Germans a run for their money!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that the timing was poor at best. I wouldn't classify this as a buyers conference. It was an education conference. I think it filled that bill well. I feel sorry for the vendors who did show up and pay for the booth and man/lady hours. It was like walking down an old ghost town in there. I doubt that there was very much business written.
    I would love to see a list of the vendors that did show up posted here. It would be a great way to thank them for supporting opticianry. They knew it would be a sales dud, but showed up anyway!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good point Johns. I will post more when I have time but for starters:

1. Safilo
    2. Luxottica
    3. Pech Optical
    4. Hoya
    5. Zeiss
    6. OAA
    7. NAO
    8. Vision-Ease

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    9. Transitions
    10. Super Systems
    11. Soderberg
    12. Tura
    13. Eschenbach
    14. Vision Web
    15. Viva
    16. Younger

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Bob it was nice to finally meet you as well. Although you did not buy me a beer, we did share some horrible coffee.
    I think it was a very nice and well put on conference.
    I for one was glade to see the great turn out of people, as Laurie said it was over 800 people who wanted to be educated and that is what it is about.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    Although you did not buy me a beer, we did share some horrible coffee.
    Horrible was RIGHT!

I owe you more than a few *GOOD* porters! Don't forget to check out Troegs Brewing's Dead Reckoning Porter! It is a limited run. The only better porter I have had is Rogue's Brewer Porter. That is/was a limited run-tap only! :cheers::cheers:

It was STELLAR!

Thread Information