Thread: Tips on finishing work

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Tips on finishing work

Is there a section or thread on this? If so, I can't find it. If not, is anyone intersted on sharing?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    anything specific you are looking at?

Banned
    Occupation
    Nope, I've just got 28 years doing it and thought maybe folks may want tips and tricks that we all have accumilated over the years.

In my early days, passing on "how too's" wasn't even considered. Job security and all that stuff I guess.

Banned
    Occupation
    Like here's one.
    Q: Ever have a lens that won't cut -out because the "feelers" slip off the edge of the lens while your machine is measuring for beveling?

Answer: Get a thin plastic paper plate and cut a 1/2 inch x 5 inch strip of it and when the "feelers" come out, place the plastic strip against the lens and inbetween the "feelers" lens. The "feelers" will think there is enough lens for cut-out. Just make sure you up your sizing to allow for a touch-up on the lens.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesnns View Post
    Is there a section or thread on this? If so, I can't find it. If not, is anyone interested on sharing?
    Look at the top of this forum.

You'll see-- Tips on Dispensing.
    Last count 774 posts on 33 pages.

That's where this thread (tip) belongs.

That said I wish we could further break it down to say Edging, finishing,tinting etc but I believe I was told that's not practical.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-25-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: tweak...

Banned
    Occupation
    They can move this thread if they want. I'd hate to go thru 773 replies and/or pages in a dispensing thread to look up edging tips. I think this thread belongs right where it is.
    Just my opinion.

I'm really new to forums so forgive me if I make newbie mistakes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesnns View Post
    Like here's one.
    Q: Ever have a lens that won't cut -out because the "feelers" slip off the edge of the lens while your machine is measuring for beveling?

Answer: Get a thin plastic paper plate and cut a 1/2 inch x 5 inch strip of it and when the "feelers" come out, place the plastic strip against the lens and inbetween the "feelers" lens. The "feelers" will think there is enough lens for cut-out. Just make sure you up your sizing to allow for a touch-up on the lens.
    I use masking tape to do the same. I just take 2 small pieces and put one on top of the other and fold it over the edge of the lens. Works great, and you don't have to stand there and hold it.
    Do go to the Dispensing tips thread, you will learn a thing or 2!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    How about this one?

...When edging down a patient owned lens into a new frame and trying to use the layout to hold the lens with the 3 prong thingys (that's the technical term) the pre-edged lens usually does not hold.

Keep a plano by the layout marker and use it for edge downs by putting the lens to be re-edged on top of the plano when laying it out.

Stops the rocking :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    How about this one?

...When edging down a patient owned lens into a new frame and trying to use the layout to hold the lens with the 3 prong thingys (that's the technical term) the pre-edged lens usually does not hold.

Keep a plano by the layout marker and use it for edge downs by putting the lens to be re-edged on top of the plano when laying it out.

Stops the rocking :cheers:
    Also, if you use a plano lens of a different material than the lens you are trying to edge, it will slide around less. I use a glass lens for this purpose.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    ooooh oooh oooh I got one!!!!

I have a solution to those people out there that use eyewire washer for their lenses that were cut too small. Your customers will never have little pieces of plastic falling out of there frames again.:bbg:

I call it........

Liquid Washer
    Copyrite Leo Hadley Jr.
    1. Use a bottle of liquid superglue "not gel" and place one to two drops of glue in the metal frame.

2. Roll the drops of glue all the way around the metal eyewire using gravity.

3. Let Dry!!!!

4. After glue is dry, mount the small lens into the frame for a tight fit.

5. Call me for instructions on how to fix your edger size:bbg:

The result is an invisible permanent solution to a slightly small lens. The lens should fit snug and can be replaced in the future without that embarrassing piece of washer ever falling out.
    If you guys like this, I will be selling bottles of liquid washer "super glue" very soon. Only $29.95 for OptiBoard Members
    :cheers:

Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    well i think this is a great place to ask questions, you can benifit form the rest of breaking a whole bunch of lenses in our past and learning how not to now. so ask away i am sure someone here will have an answer.
    Donald W Summers,B.S,A.B.O.C,N.C.L.E

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

tips

James, this does belong in the tips on dispensing, and as the person who authored that thread, i can understand the frustration because of the lenght of it. If steve and i can ever figure a way too categorize the thread, it will be done, but i imagine it would be time consuming to say the least, however Leo and the rest of you have some fine tips which i suspect you could put these in the tips on dispensing thread if you would.

Since i started this thread, some noteworthy teachers of ce courses have used it, and i have rcvd emails from all over the world asking for permission to use it. i believe it is also part of Laramys web site.

there are some points in there James that would probably interest you but you will have to sort through it. however feel free to ask any question with a new thread.

maybe fezz, if hes not drinking too much and ryser and some of the other computer geeks can tell us how this could be done. anyone who comes up with a workable solution that steve can use, i will give them a guenine piece of a mickey mantle relic from my extensive collection

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Start other forum for finishing........................

Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    maybe fezz, if hes not drinking too much and ryser and some of the other computer geeks can tell us how this could be done. anyone who comes up with a workable solution that steve can use, i will give them a guenine piece of a mickey mantle relic from my extensive collection
    Perhaps starting a totally new forum for this technical workshop issues might be the best idea,

We got one for progressive lenses (its a bore, always same issues) and we have the optic forum for the high tech formulas...........but I think that Haary's thread including this one ight make a good start for some lively discussions on finishingb where many of us could pick up some special trick and pass on some others.

Thread Information