Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faxing Rx's

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Yet what about the time, effort, expense, frustation, etc that retail optical dispensaries routinely absorb doing no-charge re-do's for DR errors?
    It may be that a few opticals charge the patient, but the vast majority do not, for fear of offending the Dr. and losing future Rx's.
    Optician store owners suck it up, and OD/OMD's should do likewise when their staff has to FAX a replacement Rx. Poor Babys...:p

Well ,in my office,I get stuck with a lot more rechecks on my time due to optician screw -ups than opticals doing redoes on my account.

Wrt faxing rxs,we give every patient their rx.we will fax the rx when we have the time (within 24 hrs),but Im not going to have the staff neglect in- office patients because some optical wants the info immediately.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    KWS:

YOu won't believe this but you doin right.

As I said before, the reason they have faxes and E. Mails is so that you can tend to things when you have time. If it's urgent, you give it over the phone (and have them read it back, if it's an Rx.).

For this reason, I always (when I have the fax number) request Rx's by fax, so no one has to "drop everything right now."

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icare View Post
    With all due respect I find this type of baiting unprofessional.
    Yet, you think that withholding or charging for a duplicate Rx is a "professional" thing to do? Alrighty then...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post
    Yet, you think that withholding or charging for a duplicate Rx is a "professional" thing to do? Alrighty then...
    Sorry, but where did he say that? I may have missed it...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There is nothing unprofessional with charging a fee for time spent. That is not the same as withholding information. That's against the law and just dumb.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    If you are charging, you are withholding information.

Again, how much are you guys charging? At $20 an hour, it should work out to about $1, because it takes no more than 5 minutes.

Occupation
    I can only speak for my office, but we don't charge. But as I said, we're set up so that it's not a hassle for us.

Why can't people just NOT lose their Rx? :p

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    If you are charging, you are withholding information.

Again, how much are you guys charging? At $20 an hour, it should work out to about $1, because it takes no more than 5 minutes.
    So I take it that you freely take PD measurements for internet shoppers? In Ontario OD's may charge up to $21.60 as an administrative fee to release an Rx duplicate.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    First I give everyone an Rx, whether they ge glasses from me or not. If an Rx is less than 2 years old I don't charge a fee. If it is more than 2 years old, the file has been moved into a storage area and requires time to find and rewrite. I charge for my time, without any apologies. That is not withholding anything.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    So I take it that you freely take PD measurements for internet shoppers? In Ontario OD's may charge up to $21.60 as an administrative fee to release an Rx duplicate.

That example makes no sense, comparing a service for FREE to a copy of a service already paid for is not gonna work. Anyway please please please keep charging ludicrous fees for a copy of the Rx.

$21.60, as an administrative fee. Wow! Does anyone ever really pay that though?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    PD is not the property of the patient here. The RX is. Patient already paid for the RX (yep, remember that time in your exam room). Patient did not pay for the PD.

$21.60 admin fee for what? We know that the person duplicating the RX makes anywhere from $7.75 to $20 an hour working for you. How hard it is to copy it down from a copy, get the doctor to sign it, and fax it off?

Justify the cost. Prove that this is not bitterness that they are going else where.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    First I give everyone an Rx, whether they ge glasses from me or not. If an Rx is less than 2 years old I don't charge a fee. If it is more than 2 years old, the file has been moved into a storage area and requires time to find and rewrite. I charge for my time, without any apologies. That is not withholding anything.
    Then improve your filing, because if it takes that much time to produce the rx for external reasons, it takes the same time to produce it for internal reasons. Don't most ODs use the patients old file when they see someone (if they have it)? You are telling me that your staff spend that much time looking for it when you see someone for a check up?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    That example makes no sense, comparing a service for FREE to a copy of a service already paid for is not gonna work. Anyway please please please keep charging ludicrous fees for a copy of the Rx.

$21.60, as an administrative fee. Wow! Does anyone ever really pay that though?
    they pay and leave. Now you did not just lose them as a glasses customer, but you lose future exams too.

Occupation
    But they're getting a copy of the Rx. Even Staples charges for making a copy.

Occupation
    they pay and leave. Now you did not just lose them as a glasses customer, but you lose future exams too.
    In the USA since often times the patient will be using insurance the doctors may want to recheck there contracts to see if this is allowable and if so what waivers or acknowledgments they have to get in order to charge the patient these administrative fees.

When I see my GP I know that once a year we pay a $20.00 fee to cover things but you better believe if I didn't discuss this initially and didn't sign and acknowledgement that I would have a bad taste in my mouth. To me it's assumed that the overhead of the practice is included in the fees I paid to the doctor unless specifically told otherwise I assume I can use the bathroom and not pay $0.50 for the amount of toilet paper I used and $0.20 for the soap and have a prorated bill sent to me for the water I consumed.

At some point in the future this will all be moot as people will have you immediately fax or email their initial Rx to:

Google Health:
    https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...2Fp%2F&rm=hide

It may be a good idea to inform patients about this service. I already allow our patients to use our phone and use:

Google 411:
    1-800-GOOG-411

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsparrow View Post
    But they're getting a copy of the Rx. Even Staples charges for making a copy.
    10 cents, not $21.50

AND, you did not already pay them $80 to make the original.

Guys, this goes back to the thread I started a couple of months ago. We have lost our whole perspective on service. There are so many patients that get their RX from the same doctor, but shop elsewhere for glasses. Do you really want to ruin that relationship?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    10 cents, not $21.50

AND, you did not already pay them $80 to make the original.

Guys, this goes back to the thread I started a couple of months ago. We have lost our whole perspective on service. There are so many patients that get their RX from the same doctor, but shop elsewhere for glasses. Do you really want to ruin that relationship?
    Charging this fee would likely p**s off the patient,and would likely be bad for the practice unless you dont care about losing the patient .

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by kws6000 View Post
    Charging this fee would likely p**s off the patient,and would likely be bad for the practice unless you dont care about losing the patient .
    The patient is entitled to a copy of their rx at the time of their visit. If they lose it, tough titty. We will reissue another copy of an rx gratis in many cases, but we are well within our rights to charge for a duplicate -- our time is worth money, so is yours.

If your time and expertise is worthless, continue doing what many in the industry continue doing routinely ie. giving away free goods and services such as frame adjustments and repairs for items not bought in your office/store.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The patient is entitled to a copy of their rx at the time of their visit. If they lose it, tough titty. We will reissue another copy of an rx gratis in many cases, but we are well within our rights to charge for a duplicate -- our time is worth money, so is yours.

If your time and expertise is worthless, continue doing what many in the industry continue doing routinely ie. giving away free goods and services such as frame adjustments and repairs for items not bought in your office/store.
    again, if you make the time commitment charge, how long does it take to do this? So what do you charge, a $1

It will take you longer to write the receipt.

Plus, this is not giving away goods and services. This is giving the patient a product that is rightfully theirs. Again, remember that you already made your $80 off of them, and it cost you little to provide that services (no COGS).

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe someone can bribe the insurance companies into having a code for sending records.

Seriously, when I make a patient a prosthetice eye, I have never had a physician or O.D. give me any debate, charge or reluctance to writting a letter stating the need for submission to the insurance company. Of course I never told one of them "Stop everything this instant and you do this now!"

Chip

Occupation
    I remember some years back that GP's in Maryland tried to pass on their increased insurance premiums to the patients in the form of a fee, from the laws perspective that would be considered overhead and included in the doctors exam fees, the doctors argued that the insurance companies cut their costs so it is necessary to have these fees. The response was that they have a choice whether they wanted to sign a contract with the insurance company or not and that these things should be negotiated with the insurance companies not the patients.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If your time and expertise is worthless, continue doing what many in the industry continue doing routinely ie. giving away free goods and services...
    And not to forget... 're-do lens costs' incurred as a result of OD/OMD refraction errors.;)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not "Errors" re-evaluation of the patient's condition and need.

Excalibur

Angry refraction errors

Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    And not to forget... 're-do lens costs' incurred as a result of OD/OMD refraction errors.;)
    Doctor: "Mrs Jones, please look at the letter on the chart and tell me is it clearer with lens 1 or lens 2"

Patient: "Lens 1"

Doctor: "and which lens is clearer, lens 1 or lens 2" etc etc etc. Patient is poor at judging, and makes an error in judgment when determining lens powers during refraction.

Doctor notes down refractive findings and information is written correctly on rx. Patient takes rx to optical, and has problems with her new rx. Rx is made to spec, but pt cannot see because she gave the doctor the wrong 'answers'. This is by FAR the most common scenario in my practice.... so how is the doctor to blame if the pt has ****ty judgment skills and leads the practitioner astray?

Occupation
    Keep in mind Excalibur, and I have never seen you so I do not know how you do it, but some doctors just try to rush the patient through the process. They flip the lenses so quickly that they confuse them. So it goes both ways.

Thread Information