Thread: Clerk to be charged in contact lens sales

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Clerk to be charged in contact lens sales

Finally we can all sleep at night knowing that we are being protected from the scourge of illegal vendors of contact lenses.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0,885577.story

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Finally we can all sleep at night knowing that we are being protected from the scourge of illegal vendors of contact lenses.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0,885577.story
    Thanks for posting that.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a start! :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

contacts

notice google is thinking, see right below the story there just happens to be an add for 1-800 contacts

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So its OK to sell CL in 99c store as long as they not samples?

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wow!!!

99 Cents!! I just found my new Supplier! Too bad he is probably going to jail :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder where he got them? Maybe there is a shady OD or Optician selling him trials. Just picture some dude walking up to you in a white lab coat, looking around all sneaky like, then opening the coat to reveal boxes and boxes of lenses then saying "hey...pssst......I got yer Acuvue, Focus, O2optix, and Frequency right here baby. I'll make ya a sweet deal."

I shouldn't have had that 2nd beer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Drinking like a real PRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post

Sure you should have. It had to keep the first one company!!!!!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:

No lonely beers in my world!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder where he got them? Maybe there is a shady OD or Optician selling him trials. Just picture some dude walking up to you in a white lab coat, looking around all sneaky like, then opening the coat to reveal boxes and boxes of lenses then saying "hey...pssst......I got yer Acuvue, Focus, O2optix, and Frequency right here baby. I'll make ya a sweet deal."

It was me I admit it. I was the one lurking around in a white lab coat trying to unload all my trials for a good price. I needed money to help pay for my optiboard habit, it's just so addicting. :bbg:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'd bet they're stolen from somewhere.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, I bet they're stolen too. I have a good theiving story.....

When we were opening a new location, a box of Acuvue pens I had received went missing from the trailer they were stored in (since bldg. wasn't ready)along with some other stuff. I was screwing around on ebay and searched for Acuvue, and there is my box of pens, for sale for $20,by some doof about a mile away from the building. I alerted corporate so they could track down the insufferable pen stealing dilweed. I never did get my pens back, but at least they didn't get my Maui Jims.

The things people do.:finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate articles like this. No real information. Was the store selling them, or was the clerk? If the store itself had these on their shelf, and this person just worked there... well, I feel horrible for them. The people who own/stock the store should be the ones charged, not the poor smuck behind the counter... unless they're one in the same.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I hate articles like this. No real information. Was the store selling them, or was the clerk? If the store itself had these on their shelf, and this person just worked there... well, I feel horrible for them. The people who own/stock the store should be the ones charged, not the poor smuck behind the counter... unless they're one in the same.
    You have the URL of the newspaper that reported the story. Why not follow up by phone or letter yourself.

Bad address email on file Mark Miller- POF's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

The rest of the story....

A POF member in Boca Raton reported this to our POF office in mid May and I sent it eveyone I knew in the Florida Dept. of Health at get their attention on this.... I was very pleased that they were able to follow-up and make an arrest in less than month.

Here is the full Press Release from the FL DOH on the issue.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 11, 2008

DOH INVESTIGATION LEADS TO ARREST IN PALM BEACH COUNTY

TALLAHASSEE— The Florida Department of Health’s (DOH) South Florida Unlicensed Activity (ULA) Unit announced today that their joint investigation with the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office (PBSO) has led to the arrest of Mr. Mushtaq Sajwani on June 10, 2008 for violating Florida Statute 484.013(1)(c): Preparing or dispensing lenses, spectacles, eyeglasses, contact lenses, or other optical devices without first being furnished with a prescription.This crime is a third degree felony that is punishable by up to five years in prison or a $5,000.00 fine.

Sajwani was employed at a 99 Cents Plus & Beauty Supply Store located at 23071 State Road 7 in Boca Raton, which (among other items) was selling various types of colored contact lenses from behind the counter. Sajwani was arrested after he sold a pair of the contacts to an undercover ULA investigator who did not present a doctors’ prescription. He was taken into physical custody by PBSO deputies and booked into the Palm Beach County Jail. His bond is $3,000.00. Sajwani is not licensed in any capacity with the Department of Health.

The owner of the store, Mr. Saleem Shivji, is also facing a potential administrative citation for violating Florida Statute 484.013(4): Unlawfully allowing Sajwani to open and operate an unlicensed optical establishment.

DOH has several resources to combat unlicensed activity:

·Consumers are encouraged to use DOH’s Web site www.flhealthsource.comwhere they can conveniently view the license information of their health care practitioner.
    ·Complaints may be filed anonymously by completing and mailing the complaint form on the DOH Web site or calling 1-877-HALT-ULA or 1-888-419-3456.

The Florida Department of Health’s (DOH) unlicensed activity program protects Florida residents and visitors from the potentially serious and dangerous consequences of receiving medical and health care services from an unlicensed person. DOH’s Division of Medical Quality Assurance (MQA) investigates and refers for prosecution all unlicensed health care activity complaints and allegations. The unlicensed activity unit works in conjunction with law enforcement and the state attorney’s offices to prosecute individuals practicing without a license. In many instances, unlicensed activity is a felony level criminal offense. More importantly, receiving health care from unlicensed people is dangerous and could result in further injury, disease or even death.

The mission of the Department of Health and MQA is to promote, protect and improve the health of all people in Florida. Working in conjunction with 22 boards and six councils, MQA regulates six types of facilities and more than 40 health care professions. MQA evaluates the credentials of all applicants for licensure, issues licenses, analyzes and investigates complaints, inspects facilities, assists in prosecuting practice act violations, combats unlicensed activity and provides credential and discipline history about licensees to the public. Visit http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/ for additional information about MQA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought POF stands for something else!?

So what do we do with the tonn of the discount and beauty supply stores in NY area that sell Chinese color contact lenses?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    File a complaint with the authorities in NY state?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller- POF View Post
    A POF member in Boca Raton reported this to our POF office in mid May and I sent it eveyone I knew in the Florida Dept. of Health at get their attention on this.... I was very pleased that they were able to follow-up and make an arrest in less than month.

Here is the full Press Release from the FL DOH on the issue.

Thank you Mark. Please keep us posted on the outcome of this action.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Were they expired ones someone had salvaged?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So it's exactly what I was worried about. Some poor, minimum wage schmuck gets the brunt of this because they didn't know better, while the actual owner of the store, who actually put them on the shelf 'might' be charged.

Thread Information