Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else noticed?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anybody else noticed?

Anybody noticed that many Luxottica products that when we find "That frame, or that color is only available in Europe. It'll take 6 weeks to get."
    These frames are available off the shelf at Lenscrafters?

Chip

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, I first encountered this back in 1997. A patient at the office where I worked in MA came in with information about an Armani frame she'd seen in Lenscrafters; she wanted us to order it for her. I looked it up in our Armani catalog; I found the frame but I didn't find the color. So I called Luxottica to order the frame. Everything went fine until I specified the color, at which point the order taker told me, "That color is not available." I asked whether it had been discontinued. No, she told me, "That color is a Lenscrafters exclusive."

I called up our Armani rep and told him to remove all his frames from our office. I never stocked Luxottica frames after that.

At least in those days Luxottica was honest. So now they're saying it's a "European" exclusive color, which, of course, is available in the US at Lenscrafters? Same difference.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope! I haven't noticed at all. Maybe it's because I haven't ordered from Lux since sometime in the 90's. Why feed the hand that bites me?

Thomas
    Last edited by tntborden; 06-10-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No...me neither!

Hey Fezz!!? Any B/O problems with Safilo?!?

(I didn't think so...)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My Safilo rep used to have a B/O problem; gave him some RightGuard one christmas, Fixed him right up. :)

If I can just get the Kenmark rep to believe in the birth of Jesus, I can solve his problem too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    Chip, I first encountered this back in 1997. A patient at the office where I worked in MA came in with information about an Armani frame she'd seen in Lenscrafters; she wanted us to order it for her. I looked it up in our Armani catalog; I found the frame but I didn't find the color. So I called Luxottica to order the frame. Everything went fine until I specified the color, at which point the order taker told me, "That color is not available." I asked whether it had been discontinued. No, she told me, "That color is a Lenscrafters exclusive."

I called up our Armani rep and told him to remove all his frames from our office. I never stocked Luxottica frames after that.

At least in those days Luxottica was honest. So now they're saying it's a "European" exclusive color, which, of course, is available in the US at Lenscrafters? Same difference.
    Good for you for sending the Armani frames back.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes I have noticed this as well. I find it most often with the Ray Ban line in particular. Notice that their most popular styles come in, oh say 23 different color combos? Oh, and 20 are "European Releases" is what i have been told. Takes about 3-4 weeks for me to get these European Releases. How nice of Lux to get it for me though ;-)

I personally wouldn't care if the customer doesn't mind waiting, if not it gives me the opportunity to offer something in store.

Only gripe is that flipping through their catalogues they do not designate which colors are "European" exclusives. At least I would have a heads up if they did this.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes although I no longer deal with or work for luxottica had a pt that wanted a versace frame that was in Italy I believe...was told that was going to take at least 8 wks and no refund or exchange???? Um what if the pt decided he didn't like it or didn't fit right? Not a fan of lux and hated working for them too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Anybody noticed that many Luxottica products that when we find "That frame, or that color is only available in Europe. It'll take 6 weeks to get."
    These frames are available off the shelf at Lenscrafters?

Chip
    Atleast you have the option of waiting the two months. Up here in Canada, we don't even have that option. "Sorry, this frame isn't available in Canada!" Even though it's in the catalog, and the Pearle down the street carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Yes although I no longer deal with or work for luxottica had a pt that wanted a versace frame that was in Italy I believe...was told that was going to take at least 8 wks and no refund or exchange???? Um what if the pt decided he didn't like it or didn't fit right? Not a fan of lux and hated working for them too.
    This I understand. If a frame is coming (if what they say is true) all the way from Italy, I dont doubt you'd have to take it. If you want something special like that, you take the risk. If you're not willing to take those risks, make sure you're ordering things that you can get.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This I understand. If a frame is coming (if what they say is true) all the way from Italy, I dont doubt you'd have to take it. If you want something special like that, you take the risk. If you're not willing to take those risks, make sure you're ordering things that you can get.[/quote]

What do you do if the frame is defective or comes back broken in 1 month? (I asked this question numerous times ut have no straight answer)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Enough religion, politics and dialects

If I can just get the Kenmark rep to believe in the birth of Jesus, I can solve his problem too.[/quote]

I would be very willing to explain my views on religion, but not on this forum; I would appreciate reciprocity. I cringe when I read deprecating dialect; even if self-deprecating, it can seem insulting to some. I haven't replied to posts about Carter, Clinton, Bush, or other political figures; I hope you appreciate my forbearance. Do you think this little speech is about "political correctness" ? I say it's about common courtesy.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Huh?!?

I know I'm old so I may have missed it, but where did the Kenmark rep come in??
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just ordered a pair of temples for a Prada sunglass. The color that I had on the board less than 3 months ago is now completely out of stock in the US. But luckily it is available from the Italian warehouse. Just allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. And the shipping should be less than $25.00 she told me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    I just ordered a pair of temples for a Prada sunglass. The color that I had on the board less than 3 months ago is now completely out of stock in the US. But luckily it is available from the Italian warehouse. Just allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. And the shipping should be less than $25.00 she told me.

Is that luck you're feeling or someones hand in your pocket?

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Is that luck you're feeling or someones hand in your pocket?
    I've seen Goodfellas! All Italians are great people. I have total respect for them all!:shiner:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    What do you do if the frame is defective or comes back broken in 1 month? (I asked this question numerous times ut have no straight answer)
    This would be a completely different issue, would it not? If the frame broke, or came in defective, it would be a warranty, not a return issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    This would be a completely different issue, would it not? If the frame broke, or came in defective, it would be a warranty, not a return issue.
    Now the question is do frames from Italy have the same warranty as the ones sold in US?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

colors

actually this is not an uncommon practice as different colors sell better in europe then here in the states. I can remenber back in the sixties when i was with B@L we made a rayban for the italian market that was a G-50, instead of the usual G-15 and G-31, you could not buy that G-50 in the USA

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry:
    Perhaps true, but if it's on the shelf in Lenscrafters in the US, it should be available to Lux's "other customers" in the US. At least if one belives all the lies, Lux tells us about how they are trying to "help" us.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What really got me was when a patient of mine saw a RayBan frame in L Crafters and I tried to order it and it was out of stock... BUT in 8 weeks I could have it from Europe. Nice....

I told them why don't they set up local drop ships from our local L Crafters stores (who are well stocked ) to make it faster and easier to help us independants...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I told them why don't they set up local drop ships from our local L Crafters stores (who are well stocked ) to make it faster and easier to help us independants...
    Are you on drugs?!:(

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was being facetious LOL...
    Last edited by Matthew; 06-16-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another attempt to complain about the horrid practices of these big companies. I have run into this problem many times (an LC , Sears, and Pearl in a 3 km radius) yet when I get ****** off at my lux reps they say that I am the only one complaining. Heres the thing, if we as independant opticians want to change this practice, we need to band together and and have a single voice against luxottica. When we go to the conventions, we all gloat about how busy our stores are and that we are all making millions of dollars, yet we all face the same underlying issues. Rather than back stabbing each other so we can be the reps favourite, lets get together and have our voice heard..
    I challenge this optiboard forum to organize a day when we all call luxottica and give an ultimatum. Change your practices or they will have to do thousands upon thousands of returns. If this happens, don't you think that lux, a publicly traded company, would absolutely **** themselves. Negative publicity is any companies nightmare.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where was all the banding together and comraderie years ago when Lux bought LC?

I made my voice heard. I stopped buying from them-instantly.

I don't feel very compassionate for the folks who continue to do business with them. You have fed the beast. Yet, you cry when the beast bites you.

:D:cheers:;):cheers::D

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't do business with them or Essilor for any reason.

Thread Information